Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And only save $3.78 for 18 gallons filled up. Not a big saving there and my X making funny noise only in these condition: if the car has been driving for a few minutes and parked (engine off) for less than 5 minutes and then drove again, I can hear a noise sounds like you shake pennies in a jar during acceleration and the noise is gone after one minute later. If the car is parked over 30 minutes than there is no noise when drove again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
It might also be the quality of the fuel? I travel a lot cross country and I can feel the difference between gas from even national chain gas stations. The only time I get consistent performance is when I stick to Sam's or Costco fuel when traveling (there are always one or the other or both at every fuel stop). I found the fuel is always 5-50 cents cheaper per gallon for 90/91 octane compared to chain gas stations on the side of the hwy. You might get the same or more savings as 89 or 87 Octane would give at a chain gas station; but, you can use 91 Octane from Sams/Costco (assuming one is close by).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
That is what I said. I thought I was going to save like $10 per fill up. I am going back to 93. Here 89 is $2.87 and 93 is $3.06

Around here there is usually a $.40 step-up between each of 87, 89, & 93. I always fill up if I am near Sam's Club, where you can get 93 for the price of 89 at other stations.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Y'all also could have saved money by buying a Honda Pilot....Or a Kia or..you get my drift.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It might also be the quality of the fuel? I travel a lot cross country and I can feel the difference between gas from even national chain gas stations.
I was once told that to operate a gas station for a major brand the owner only needs to ensure x% (or was it x gallons per month, not sure) to get the branding. So the owners are free to chose a blend of the brand and other cheap gas they want, to keep overall costs low. :headshake

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With this experiment and info I think I know why my car make sometimes make this noise even I filled 93. I always get my gas at the same station. So this gas station must mixed up between 89 and 93 in the past. Now I know what i getting next time if my car makes this noise again even I fill 93.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It might also be the quality of the fuel? I travel a lot cross country and I can feel the difference between gas from even national chain gas stations. The only time I get consistent performance is when I stick to Sam's or Costco fuel when traveling (there are always one or the other or both at every fuel stop). I found the fuel is always 5-50 cents cheaper per gallon for 90/91 octane compared to chain gas stations on the side of the hwy. You might get the same or more savings as 89 or 87 Octane would give at a chain gas station; but, you can use 91 Octane from Sams/Costco (assuming one is close by).
Hey there. Up here in Albuquerque, where you're always above 5000', have you tried running our standard 85 octane regular in your MDX? I found this oooolllllllldddd report, and if you go to the 17th page, it suggests (if I'm reading it right) that if you need 90 octane at sea level, 78 or so should be comparable at 5000', so our 85 should be plenty. You might consider running your car down until the fuel light is on, putting in half a tank of 85, and see how it runs...maybe do an acceleration run (it'll be a little slower due to the weight of the fuel). If it runs like crap, top it up with 91. If it runs fine, fill the rest of the tank with 85. At Costco 85 is like $2.04 and 91 is $2.54. That could be a 25% savings for no compromise. With our 20 gallon tanks, you would be looking at nearly $10 a fillup savings...more if you're not going to Costco.

I just got my 2014 yesterday, which doesn't even require premium at sea level much less high elevation. I'm going to baseline a couple tanks on 91 and the switch to 85 and see how it does, but I expect the performance will be identical; the Pilot has the same engine and gets the same mpg despite specifying 87 octane. The 91 just gets you an extra 10 hp, but I don't think it'll even get us that up here. I might get the dynolicious app to measure acceleration. Just make sure your weight, temperature, and location are the same between tests.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I dont know if they blend different Octane fuels. What I meant was that when you are filling say a 91 octane gas from a Shell pump, it could be a blend of Shell 91 gas + some unknown/lesser known 91 octane gas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With this experiment and info I think I know why my car make sometimes make this noise even I filled 93. I always get my gas at the same station. So this gas station must mixed up between 89 and 93 in the past. Now I know what i getting next time if my car makes this noise again even I fill 93.

There's no tank of 89 under the ground. Mid grade fuel is dispensed by blending premium and regular in the gas pump. It wouldn't surprise me if unscrupulous stations blend in a bit too much regular.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.