Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going away for 2 months in the winter, and was told by dealer that a trickle charger was best option for keeping battery charged. Vehicle is a 2022 MDX Advanced, and will be stored in open air garage in NH. Temps tend to range from single digits to 30s, and rarely get down below zero.

CTEK seems like a good product, but wondering if anybody has any other suggestions.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
194 Posts
CTEK is what we use on our BMW while it is stored for the winter. No issues.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Might be also beneficial to do what the factory does and air the tires up to 45 PSI for help with flat spots if it is going to sit that long.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Consider adding fuel stabilizer to the tank before leaving it, and a (more costly) alternative to mrgold35's suggestion is to park the car on FlatStoppers. I don't have a recommendation for a trickle charger though

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I wonder how the Acuralink remote start would work? Does it work the same as fob remote start with 10 mins with an another 10 min extension? I don't have Acuralink remote start with my 19 MDX or 18 RLX and don't know if you can do weekly remote starts days apart and for how long for each. Might be a poor man's trickle charger. I can see Acuralink remote start coming in handy if you MDX is stuck at long-term parking for several weeks.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
The couple of months shouldn't be a big deal. I've left cars for that long routinely and have no issues but that's on older vehicles that when shut off are really shut off as opposed to something like the MDX which will always have some draw, although minor. The trickle charger isn't a bad idea, or just be prepared to put it on a normal charger or jump start it when you get back in case it doesn't start. It's not a big deal. I'd probably skip the trickle charger and just do what I suggested if it doesn't start up on its own.

I also wouldn't worry about the tires or the fuel for this short of a duration.

·
Super Moderator
2,110 Posts
Back in last year, my MDX was sitting in the garage without driving/start up at least two months (if not 3) at the beginning of pandemic. No problem to start it up when tech came and picked it up to bring to dealer for service (safety inspection due).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts