Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
For the first time I can remember, the large evergreen tree hanging over my driveway is going through some kind of reproductive cycle, and is depositing thousands of tiny droplets of sap on my new MDX.

Does anyone know how to remove sap? My car has not yet been washed in Dawn, claybarred, or coated with Zaino.

Thanks,

Bobby (with the chainsaw...)

P.S. Maybe I should just wait until the entire car is completely covered in sap, and consider that a great protective shield for my paint. Or throw topsoil on the sap and plant grass (then at least the "green" on my Granite Green car would show up).

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
There is a great product from Mothers that removes tar and tree sap, BUT REMOVE IT ASAP. The sap will harden and it will be difficult to remove with out using some elbow grease.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Peanut Butter????

Can't remember if it was discussed on this forum or another, but I've read that peanut butter works well. I can't vouch for this personnally as I've never tried it.

I figure that this goes in the same category as using coke to dissolve rust or newpapers to clean windows. The first time you hear about it you think someone's pulling your leg.

I'm sure there'll be a few follow-on posts about creamy vs chunky or favorite brands (personnally I like JIF) ;) , but I really did read about this. Honest!

Has anyone else heard about or tried this??

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I know peanut butter works great for removing wax residue from plastic, but haven't heard about using it for treesap. The oils do it, tho...so it could be true. Maybe Bobby can do a test panel: Turtle Wax, Mothers, WD40 and PB. Whatdaya say, Bobby?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Worm wrote:

I know peanut butter works great for removing wax residue from plastic, but haven't heard about using it for treesap. The oils do it, tho...so it could be true. Maybe Bobby can do a test panel: Turtle Wax, Mothers, WD40 and PB. Whatdaya say, Bobby?

I'd be happy to test any sap removal products on my old junker Town Car (I'd even try a blow torch on it). But, unless somebody knows some reason why isopropyl alcohol would be bad to use on the MDX, there's really no reason to test anything else. I just tried removing tree sap from my Lincoln, first with WD-40 and then with isopropyl alcohol, and the alcohol won, hands down. The WD-40 took wait time, plus elbow grease. The alcohol worked immediately, with almost NO EFFORT!

So, unless I shouldn't use the alcohol, I'm going to let the turtles keep their wax, let mother keep her tree sap recipes, save the WD-40 for nuts and bolts, and eat the peanut butter (I prefer chunky).

Bobby

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
No harm using isoproyl alcohol on the paint. Keep in mind it'll remove Zaino (only thing that will, other than an abrasive).

·
Registered
7 Posts
tree sap and road tar

the two best products that I have used for road tar (mostly) and sap are:

Eimann Fabriks Tar remover (smells like isopropyl alcohol)
and
Stoners Tarminator

these products simply melt the stuff off your paint.

Had a similar problem with a tree next to my driveway - had tree cut down - problem solved.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have used gasoline on one of my cars and it does the best job of removing tree sap and tar of anything I have ever used. But, it also removes wax.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Turtle also makes a bug and sap remover that works pretty well.

My dad always used to put half a cup of kerosene in his wash water to get rid of tar-type compounds. Of course, he did a lot of stuff I wouldn't do, but you might want to try this on one of your other cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts