Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i will travel to Japan around December for a week for fun.
does anyone have any suggestion? what to see, where to visit, what to try, which airline is nicer, where to sleep, how to move around…

should i rent a car? is it easy renting and driving? Will international drivers license work there?

should i get visa or just US passport will do?

i am near 30 and make some money, not alot, and really like animation (manga) and toys. so please give any advise that will work for my current situation if you can :)

thank you all!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My advise for Japan

1)Bring LOTS of money cause it is VERY expensive in JAPAN. Here are the breakdowns:
i)If you are not accustomed to Japanese cuisine such as street vendors selling noodles or Japanese foods...then you will be paying A LOT of money for Western food such as MacDonalds, Starbucks and good beef.
ii)Things like movies, hotels, clothes and even electronics are expensive there.

2)Bring a Passport, unless you are planning to stay over 30 days, then bring a travelling VISA.

3)Bring warm clothes, I dont know when you are going and where in Japan, if you happen to go in FALL or Winter there..it is QUITE chilly.

4)Don't let the city such as Tokyo, Nagasaki or Yokohama distort your vision of Japanese culture, go into the countryside and experience OLD JApanese...IT IS...AWESOME!!! Especially if you live at a true Japanese house managed by geishas and experience old country cuisines...

5)Make sure you visit the Honda testing grounds...There you will see some of the coolest engineers there speeding on the test track testing NSXs, Civics, exotic v four bikes and litre superbikes and GP bikes.

6)For the hell of it...Check into a "Coffin" hotel...There you will find your hotel room that is the size of a California Kingsize bed with all the fixins, DVD player, plasma screen, soda dispenser, microwave, computer with internet access, phone, AC, frozen dinner dispenser and of course the bed it self...

ANyway...Good luck, have fun and make sure you KOMPAI a sushi chef when you are there...The japanese LOVE FOOD and LOVE to drink...

FYI- It will cost you $600.00 US dollars for a nice bottle of ROYAL CROWN brandy.
:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here's more

HAJIMEMASHO!

-learn a little nihonggo, bring guide pocketbook.
-check foreign exchange yen--->$, $ ---->yen (bring calculator)
-learn a little of culture like--looking at the eyes is impolite in Japan,look at nose. etc....

I'm a fan of Anime too (Dragonball Z, Ninja Scroll (best ever),FOTNS,Escaflowne,Macross(Robotech here)) etc...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Buy some Japanese HID kits and sell them to us at a good price. Japanese HIDs are the best. Also if you see any PIAA spark blue bulbs cheap, I'll buy them from you. Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Business class on the Japanese carriers (JAL, ANA) is roughly equivalent to First class on our domestics (UAL et al). I'd recommend a Japanese carrier unless you're redeeming miles or the price difference is huge.

If you're planning on hanging around Tokyo most of the time, do NOT get a car. The subway goes everywhere and you can get downtown from the airport via bus or train; cabs galore and most of it (downtown) is walkable after you take the subway to the area you want to be in. The Japanese are very friendly and helpful -- and they like to practice English; if you look lost don't be surprised if someone just comes up to you to offer assistance.

I haven't been there since 97 and I honestly can't remember the hotels I stayed @ in Tokyo (the Palace, maybe)? :confused: Check out Rapongi when you're downtown (party area back then). Ginza is shopping IIRC.

Kyoto is worth a 1 or 2 day visit. Maybe you can get a tour of one of the auto assembly plants; we visited Nissan back in '94 near Yokohama.

US Passport is adequate; I think they just stamp you w/a 30-day tourist Visa when you arrive @ customs.

Oh, and don't spend all your money before you get back to the airport for your trip home -- they had one of those "airport improvement fees" that cost ~ $10 or $20 (equivalent) and I was tapped out :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you're planning on hanging around Tokyo most of the time, do NOT get a car.
This thread brings back memories :) ...

My tips:

I second TheWorm's comments on the car. I spent a week in Tokyo on business in August '01 and used the subways exclusively. Very nice... much nicer than any I've used in the US and all major train stations have enough info in English for you to get around. I was glad not to have a car... especially since I didn't have to take a crash course in driving on the left side of the road!

I stayed in Shinjuku (an area of Tokyo) at the Century Hyatt Tokyo. There's a free 10 minute shuttle bus ride to Shinjuku station from the hotel that leaves every 15 minutes (Shinjuku station is the largest train station in Tokyo and is frequently shown on TV for US news stories). The hotel has "Western Rooms" with a US style toilet, continental breakfast, and excellent English speaking staff since they're very used to Americans visiting the hotel. I think my room was around USD$130/night if I recall correctly (corporate rate). Hotel was great... clean rooms - yes smaller than US Hyatt rooms but not much smaller, and our view of the nearby park was great. Buckwheat pillows and mattresses were a little firm for my taste but I was glad I wasn't sleeping on a Tatami! I slept very well there. Here's the site:
http://tokyo.century.hyatt.com/

If you're going from Narita Airport to Tokyo be aware that Narita is pretty far from the center of Tokyo - can be a 2 hour ride in traffic if I recall correctly. The best way to get to the heart of Tokyo is to take an airport limosine bus... they are very clean and very efficient. Cost is around USD$35, which is around a fifth of the cost of a cab. Something like this is what I took:
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/e/

Definitely eat like a local as Fireblade6 has suggested - noodle places places are great, and you've gotta try a real tempura dinner at a nice place (ten courses I believe). We also very much enjoyed the Yakitori restaurants, which are fun places to go for Japanese beer and bar (finger) food. Food was not much different in price than US cities at USD$1=125Y if you eat like a local. Many places have those plastic models of the food so on more than one occasion I took the server to the front of the restaurant to point at what I wanted. No problems getting fed & watered.

I like the Hyatt but if I were going for a week on my own dime I might pick up a room at the Crown Plaza on Priceline for $85-$90 per night. I didn't stay there but it's a 4*, is also in Shinjuku, and I think it's the only Tokyo hotel working with Priceline so you're pretty sure what you're going to get. Here's the site:
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/HICP/hd/TYOMP

You might want to consider a Hatobus tour to orient you when you arrive in Tokyo:
http://www.hatobus.co.jp/english/

Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Japan is one of the beutiful place to enjoy the vacation in good way.I have checked some of the Best Travel Blogs which provide the details about the Japan which has lot of best places to enjoy and explore in good way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts