Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew someone that drove an Audi A4 that was tuned and put out 220hp with an automatic transmission. I asked him "how do you know that this won't cause transmission problems?" His reply was that his car shares the same transmission as the TT and that has 220hp stock.

Unforteantly the MDX doesn't share the same transmission with any vetichel that puts out more hp. Is the reason the 2003 got a new transmission was that the older transmission couldn't hanldle any more torque/hp or was replaced just for other reasons? If I were to get custom headers do you think the tranmission will hold? I think I can obtain some custom headers for about $500 installed that are good for at least 25hp.

I think the 01/02 MDX shares the same transmission as the Odyssey. There is an Ody owner on the Odyssey forum with nitros and despite the 75+hp gain no transmission problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: Re: Transmissions Limit? Another Performance Thread

A2MDXer said:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.:21:
:1pat:
Some people would do anything to pretend that they have a sporty car: look what YOU can do with almost no money, no shame and of course, no taste

... And, NO, it's not mine :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Won't know 'til ya try!

The downside of "enhancing" the performance of an MDX or Pilot is that there just are not enough "data points" to know what is "too much". Remember, the output shaft to the VTM is UNIQUE to the Pilot/MDX -- that makes comparisions to Oddy strained, at best.

It is LIKELY that the tranny was changed to a beefier unit, but that DOES NOT mean that the 01-02 tranny was marginal. I don't hink anybody wants to revisit THAT kettle of fish!

You really have to weigh your desire for 'enhancements' against the ODDS of damage/costs for non-use.

Myself, I have a "non-essential" vehicle that I can put at risk, and another vehicle that I can play with...

BTW the STRESS on the tranny is not due just to input, but also load, and given that, a hollowed out "drag ready" TT or Oddy may not be the best proof that an A4 or luxury MDX is imposing the same load.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Won't know 'til ya try!

renov8r said:
The downside of "enhancing" the performance of an MDX or Pilot is that there just are not enough "data points" to know what is "too much". Remember, the output shaft to the VTM is UNIQUE to the Pilot/MDX -- that makes comparisions to Oddy strained, at best.

It is LIKELY that the tranny was changed to a beefier unit, but that DOES NOT mean that the 01-02 tranny was marginal. I don't hink anybody wants to revisit THAT kettle of fish!

You really have to weigh your desire for 'enhancements' against the ODDS of damage/costs for non-use.

Myself, I have a "non-essential" vehicle that I can put at risk, and another vehicle that I can play with...

BTW the STRESS on the tranny is not due just to input, but also load, and given that, a hollowed out "drag ready" TT or Oddy may not be the best proof that an A4 or luxury MDX is imposing the same load.
Well stated! You need to look at the total vehicle and the design objective. Just putting in more muscle may not be as simple as you think. And the results good could be less than satisfactory, if not down right disastorous. Remember, you are dealing with sophisticated mechanical assemblies that are controlled by programmed electronics.
It's a very integrated design, and it would not be easy to predict how the VTM4 (for example) would respond with greater than expected torque inputs under various loads.
With the '03 and the introduction of VSA, this could mean the results would be even less predictable under certain conditions.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only used the VTM4 once about 2 years ago because I was curious how it handled in some medium duty off roading. I was impressed but would never take the MDX off roading again because I have no reason or desire and want to keep my MDX clean and safe. So I'm not worried how the performance enchancement would effect my VTM4. My main concern is reading about how all the people with TL-S and CL-S having transmission problems due to the extra 40hp over the CL-P and TL-P.

By the way I'm not pretending I'm driving a sports car. I'm "pretending" to be driving an enchanced SUV. When someone takes the MDX off roading are they pretending to be driving a truck or hardcore SUV? The people that use the MDX to haul there family to the Super Walmart, are they pretending to be driving a minivan?:2:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
manus1980 said:
I only used the VTM4 once about 2 years ago because I was curious how it handled in some medium duty off roading.
I know you know better, you use VTM4 in varying degrees every time you drive your X, except you are not making the decisions as to how it is being used.
So it's a shot in a dark as to how any enhancements may affect it's operation.
It's not necessarily a linear result based on input torque and load. It is if you are working within it's normal operating parameters.
By increasing torque or load beyond normal you could be exceeding those limits. The results could be decreased reliability, drivability problems or both.
I guess it depends how much enhancement you are suggesting. And of course, when how much becomes too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts