Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Transmission

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pkrface 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I recently purchased a 2007 MDX AWD with 180,000 miles and I’m not sure if the transmission fluid was ever changed. I’d like to do that, maybe even flushed but I’m hearing with so many miles it’s a big no no! any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks

#2 ·
The key to getting an ignored transmission back on track is to go very slow. Definitely no flush with that scenario (Acura/Honda says never flush anyway) because you don't want to be too aggressive with the fresh additives in the new fluid. Start with a single drain/fill with new fluid. Should take about 3.5 qts. Also, take a close look at the radiator and see if it has been replaced. This generation of X is known for having an internal failure of the transmission cooler inside the radiator and mixing coolant with trans fluid. Some here have added an external trans cooler and taken the radiator out of the loop to prevent this issue. If it hasn't happened by 180K the risk is pretty high.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.