Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I shift from R to D5 or P to D5, it takes the tranny 1-2 seconds to engage. Anyone else experiencing that? Problem?

My last car (BMW) engaged almost instantly after the lever hit D.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I dunno if it's really 2 seconds...

...but there is definitely a delay. If you're in a hurry, you'll hit the gas before it's in gear. My '02 did this from day 1, too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Picking up our '02 RR MDX tomorrow but have owned Honda's in the past. Currently our '96 Accord EX does the exact same thing...backing out of the driveway, shifting from R to D takes approx. .5 seconds before transmission grabs. Makes you think twice about backing out in front of large, swiftly moving trucks. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK

:) This is normal operation for this excellent transmission

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have the same slight delay...at first I thought it was slippage, but it's relly just an engagement delay. It's been like that since day 1 and has been checked out by dealer + independent tranny expert and it is normal/fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Transmission shift making a big sound

Is it common that you will hear a big sound from hood when shifting? Or just my X?

Or I'm too sensitive?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Transmission shift making a big sound

I guess I'm with DaleB. Haven't heard a peep under my hood. I haven't checked my transmission fluid level lately, but I know on my '87 Mercedes 300E, when the fluid level is low, it takes 2-3 seconds to engage (becomes troublesome when I'm at an intersection waiting for a green light, shifting from neutral to drive).

The 1-2 second shifting on the MDX is quick in comparison (and I've never really noticed the delay). I guess it's time for me to change the ATF (Honda ATF, of course).

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you parked on a slope and shifting out of Park when you hear the "big sound"?

If so, it is just the transmission lock pin disengaging. The locking pin gets 'loaded' with the vehicle weight on a slope and the parking brake is not holding vehicle. Perfectly normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts