Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 mdx was making a whining noise, acura service reps said it's a transmission issue and requires a full replacement. 45k miles and already needs a new transmission?! If it was not covered by warranty he said it would be a $6k-$7k repair. What?! I have lost all faith in this vehicle and frankly the entire acura brand. This car has been quirky since I got it. Strange rattles, weird shifts, electronics acting up. Getting rid of it as soon as its fixed. It's too bad. I was excited to get it last year.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
2015 mdx was making a whining noise, acura service reps said it's a transmission issue and requires a full replacement. 45k miles and already needs a new transmission?! If it was not covered by warranty he said it would be a $6k-$7k repair. What?! I have lost all faith in this vehicle and frankly the entire acura brand. This car has been quirky since I got it. Strange rattles, weird shifts, electronics acting up. Getting rid of it as soon as its fixed. It's too bad. I was excited to get it last year.
Why did you start a new thread? You just mentioned this on your other thread.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure man. Guess it's late and I'm still upset about it? Wanted to make sure my opinion of the lack of quality was heard clearly? Maybe someone else will read this post and not the reply to the other? Some things will always be a mystery I suppose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had a '15 MDX AWD w/Tech as a lease, and put up 60,000 miles on it (I had a 20k/year lease allowance), and didn't have a single issue with it. In fact, I haven't even replaced the old continental tires I had on it since day one. They needed replacement, but I made it to 60k and returned so I didn't have to pay out of pocket, and got a TLX. This is the first time I hear about a transmission issue. I guess, seems like you're the second owner, the first owner might've pushed it a little too far... that's my only guess. But it also varies from car to car. Acura is generally very reliable, especially that '15 6-speed tranny.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
The biggest issue with the 6 speed is actually the ATF. It burns up too early so the tranny either needs a software update to lower operating temperature or you need to increase frequency of atf change, or do both. The whining is a new problem to me, as most owners just seem to complain about the tachometer flutter that accompanies some low end vibration. But that's the atf causing issues in the torque converter.

In any Honda vehicle with the dw1 atf, just change fluids more frequently than advised.

Acura is very much an American car company these days. Only Toyota brands really hold the legacy of a Japanese manufacturer these days. Honda engines tend to be the strong point as long as it's not a turbo powerplant and the tranny should be ok as long as you keep up with shortened intervals. And ultimately, it's mostly about the dealer who will either help you catch issues or just brush you off telling you everything is normal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
The biggest issue with the 6 speed is actually the ATF. It burns up too early so the tranny either needs a software update to lower operating temperature or you need to increase frequency of atf change, or do both. The whining is a new problem to me, as most owners just seem to complain about the tachometer flutter that accompanies some low end vibration. But that's the atf causing issues in the torque converter.

In any Honda vehicle with the dw1 atf, just change fluids more frequently than advised.

Acura is very much an American car company these days. Only Toyota brands really hold the legacy of a Japanese manufacturer these days. Honda engines tend to be the strong point as long as it's not a turbo powerplant and the tranny should be ok as long as you keep up with shortened intervals. And ultimately, it's mostly about the dealer who will either help you catch issues or just brush you off telling you everything is normal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
What kind of change ATF intervals would you suggest? I currently have Acura do their "transmission fluid service" yearly. That either includes some sort of drain and fill or a flush I have no idea lol. That and I have the Trans cooler that comes with the Tow package. Would this be considered adequate?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
What kind of change ATF intervals would you suggest? I currently have Acura do their "transmission fluid service" yearly. That either includes some sort of drain and fill or a flush I have no idea lol. That and I have the Trans cooler that comes with the Tow package. Would this be considered adequate?
If your annual miles is around the average 15k, then you're definitely way OK. Even up to 30k, which is my general recommendation, and even that is aggressive depending on what the manufacturer considers actual life. Generally, right around 45k is where I would call it as a must, as I've seen a lot of burnt ATF in the 45-60k range for cars that call for either 60k or 100k intervals on the ATF. City driving is especially tough and if you add a spirited driver, you're definitely going to be looking at some burning around 60k or even before that. Then compound it with the DW-1 experiencing earlier failure due to unexpected heat loads... you get the picture.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If your annual miles is around the average 15k, then you're definitely way OK. Even up to 30k, which is my general recommendation, and even that is aggressive depending on what the manufacturer considers actual life. Generally, right around 45k is where I would call it as a must, as I've seen a lot of burnt ATF in the 45-60k range for cars that call for either 60k or 100k intervals on the ATF. City driving is especially tough and if you add a spirited driver, you're definitely going to be looking at some burning around 60k or even before that. Then compound it with the DW-1 experiencing earlier failure due to unexpected heat loads... you get the picture.
Yup absolutely. I average 12-15k miles a year but 90% is city driving and bumper to bumper. I go days without ever going above 30 MPH. When the road is clear I am certainly driving in a spirited manner.

In past cars, I've had transmission rebuilds and they are expensive and I would hate to have to do that again. That is why I'm so anal and overprotective of the transmission. What exact procedure does Acura follow when it comes to ATF fluid service? Do they just do drain and fill, 3x drain and fill, or an actual flush? Or is each dealership different unless specifically requested? And which method would you recommend based on annual service with15k mi/year in city driving?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Does the MID tells when to change the transmission fluid in B service .
I have 35k miles and have yet to see service inductor to change ATF fluid .

·
Registered
7 Posts
No. Original transmission. It hasn't given me any problems. Bought the car CPO with 20k on the clock. First thing I did was install the trans cooler. That's the first thing anyone should do to their vehicle.
I agree! I have 84k+ miles on our 2014, just changed the trans for the second time. I also installed a trans cooler when the vehicle was new, I've changed the fluid 1x already around 45k. I do tow a utility trailer pretty regularly, but that probably rarely exceeds 1,500#. MDX is running great, fluid is still sorta pink. Today I did the 3x drain and fill procedure and also replaced the external trans filter, despite the fact Acura does not have a service interval for it. $25 for the filter is cheap for piece of mind....

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with your assessment of the car, Acura/Honda have gone down the toilet starting 2010 and have gotten worse as time has gone by. But don't fret over this because ALL manufactures have gone down the toilet accept for one...Toyota/Lexus. The reliability issue is mostly about electronics, but transmissions have gotten increasingly more complicated and the life expectancy had been reduced significantly but the 6 speed you have should be reliable; Toyota has always stayed on the side of simplicity and it's paying off for them quite well. Some will say you have a lemon, no, it might be worse than some of the others but like I said they're all bad now. I've read a lot of complaints here on THIS forum about newer Acuras having all sorts of issues, including burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and Acura says that's within specs?!

With your issues I would sell when the warranty expires, because if that trans failed at 45k miles more than likely it could fail again around 90k, and the next time it fails the cost is all yours..

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with your assessment of the car, Acura/Honda have gone down the toilet starting 2010 and have gotten worse as time has gone by. But don't fret over this because ALL manufactures have gone down the toilet accept for one...Toyota/Lexus. The reliability issue is mostly about electronics, but transmissions have gotten increasingly more complicated and the life expectancy had been reduced significantly; Toyota has always stayed on the side of simplicity and it's paying off for them quite well. Some will say you have a lemon, no, it might be worse than some of the others but like I said they're all bad now. I've read a lot of complaints here on THIS forum about newer Acuras having all sorts of issues, including burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and Acura says that's within specs?!

With your issues I would sell when the warranty expires, because if that trans failed at 45k miles more than likely it will fail again around 90k.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts