Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
ronlatta
Its really not that difficult, I pulled the trigger on this because an independent shop quoted me 30min labor for this so I knew it was easy... Just follow the DIY steps and you cant mess it up.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I DIY replaced the transmission range switch on our 2003 while the weather was warm.

1) through the wheel well (the service manual says to do it from above?!! )

2) yeah, that connector is a ( female dog ). I think I broke out my selection of plastic interior trim tools.

3) That big nut on the shaft is also a ( female dog ) if you're an idiot like me and don't realize that little metal tabs were folded over it to make darn sure it couldn't come loose. If you're smart and fold them back before you try to loosen the nut it's probably a lot less trouble. ( Brute force won, but I'm probably lucky I didn't damage the shaft ). I discovered the purpose of the metal tabs when I went to put in the new one... ( duh ).

4) Probably way less trouble if you did your homework and found the nice DIY skirmich wrote up! It seemed so simple...

·
Registered
87 Posts
So if the MDX needs to be started in neutral, is this pretty much the only possible culprit?

4 days my wife had to put the MDX in neutral to start it, then again this morning. Other than those 2 occurrences, it started normally multiple times each day. No P1717, and no "CHECK STARTING SYSTEM". We did get the "CHECK STARTING SYSTEM" once, almost exactly a year ago (and I believe even putting it in neutral didn't work, but my memory isn't the best) - then the problem went away after sitting for a weekend.

·
Registered
578 Posts
So if the MDX needs to be started in neutral, is this pretty much the only possible culprit?
N
4 days my wife had to put the MDX in neutral to start it, then again this morning. Other than those 2 occurrences, it started normally multiple times each day. No P1717, and no "CHECK STARTING SYSTEM". We did get the "CHECK STARTING SYSTEM" once, almost exactly a year ago (and I believe even putting it in neutral didn't work, but my memory isn't the best) - then the problem went away after sitting for a weekend.
Yep that’s the culprit. Haven’t had it happen on the MDX yet, but did my Ody a couple of weeks ago with the same symptoms and it’s been perfect since.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I changed my 3rd gear pressure switch and still get blinking d light and check transmission - p1717 code there too -

Trying to follow TRS instructions but a little confusion

·
Registered
31 Posts
Guys I’m about to try this out on my 2007 woth 170k miles... I’m lost about the adjusting needed when plugging it in? Saw some vids say just make sure it’s set same as the old one was (gear position)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
What part did you not understand?

"10.- Since you have your battery installed you can now Adjust the Neutral Position! Do this by securing the 12mm bolts on the TRS just a tad firm so you can move it but wont wobble out of position easily, Go inside your car Open Key in Position II (DONT START THE ENGINE) and put the shift lever in NEUTRAL adjust until the Neutral (N) Light in the dashboard remains ON at all times while the shifter is in Neutral, Wobble the shifter back and forth (Dont change gears) and all the slack in the shifter must stay in neutral position, If the lights suddenly goes off with the slack adjust the TRS until it doesn´t.. Once you find the sweet spot secure the TRS bolts to and your done with it.. "

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for replying -I don’t understand this Let about the adjusting-

Go inside your car Open Key in Position II (DONT START THE ENGINE) and put the shift lever in NEUTRAL adjust until the Neutral (N) Light in the dashboard remains ON at all times while the shifter is in Neutral, Wobble the shifter back and forth (Dont change gears) and all the slack in the shifter must stay in neutral position, If the lights suddenly goes off with the slack adjust the TRS until it doesn´t..

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Ok the Neutral Switch has "Stages" or "Positions" but inside that position there is a small gap that needs to be centered in order for the ECU to tell its in its correct position.

The adjustment you need to do is basically install the TRS in the most centered position inside the selected gear because there is slack in the shift cable and shift lever.

What you will do is:

1.- Go inside your car and switch to position II (Dashboard Lits) BUT YOU WONT START THE ENGINE! You just want the shift lights to appear in the dashboard.
2.- Switch the car into NEUTRAL you can do this because the car is in Position II so the shift lever lockout will work allowing you to switch gears even with the car shut off.
3.- You will move the shift lever while in neutral (To feel the slack) and move it forward and backwards without actually shifting, You are looking at the dashboard shift lights while doing so.. You are looking for any activity in the dash light that says "N" of Neutral.. If the light goes out while moving the shift lever it means the TRS is not correctly aligned! So you must turn the TRS in order to position it in such way that the light never goes out with all the slack in the shift lever.
4.- Once you find the sweet spot you tighten the TRS snug and that´s it! You are now fully centered and correctly aligned.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
This step is not a huge deal when the car is new at the factory because everything is tight, The shift lever is tight and the shift lever cable has not stretched. In a USED CAR though you have to be more thorough because there is now more slack in everything.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just had this happen to me this morning when I had to make a 3 point turn. Guess I’ll be buying a new switch and doing this soon. Appreciate the thread about this problem.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah that securing washer is a PITA...

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Your welcome! glad it helped.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I checked 2007 and 2011 transmission and the switch location is difference between the two. So replacing this switch on 2011 MXD from the top (removing the battery tray) is the only option.

2007 MDX

2011 MDX

·
Registered
2007 MDX
11 Posts
Have been using the manual shift a lot recently and this mining it popped up P0705 and it points back to TRS.
Tried to reset via both cables off battery for over an hour. (Working from home since I’m stranded here) and no luck.Gonna try the pull negative and switch truck next
Last resort will be replacement.

·
Registered
2007 MDX
11 Posts
Have been using the manual shift a lot recently and this mining it popped up P0705 and it points back to TRS.
Tried to reset via both cables off battery for over an hour. (Working from home since I’m stranded here) and no luck.Gonna try the pull negative and switch truck next
Last resort will be replacement.
Ok, I bit the billet and made my usual 83 mile commute. No real problems except the door locks are locking and unlocking at a tremendously fast rate and very sporadic. I can hear a solenoid in the center console opening and closing, also super fast and sporadic. No luck with any hacks to reset. Any idea what the problem might be?

41 - 60 of 66 Posts