Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving down the highway when seemingly out of the blue my '05 MDX started revving up to 7000 rpm's and not actually going any where. I got of the road and had it towed to my mechanic. They are telling me that I had a failure in the radiator which somehow caused all my tranny fluid to end up in my radiator with the coolant, and because of this my tranny burned up. I'm being quoted $6000 to replace the tranny, radiator and all associated hoses and parts. I'm not a car guy but any means so I could be spewing nonsense for all I know, but I was looking for some outside opinions on how to go about handling this situation. 6000 is a lot to pay for a car I still owe 11,000 on even tho the car is probably only worth around 7000.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, MDX radiator can leak and coolant goes to the transmission ruining it and transmission fluid to the radiator making coolant pink and foamy like milkshake. Not very common but not rare. If lucky, flushing coolant out of transmission might help but not always. Water in transmissions is bad.
Also same problem in Honda Ridgeline, Honda Pilot.

No, the owner is not at fault. Seems to be worse with corrosion from outside, possibly from road salt.

Transmission shops do rebuilds every day and cost less than the dealer. Some rebuilds installed by dealer are rebuilt by H and A transmission. Dealer usually does not rebuild transmissions. Just installs rebuilds from elsewhere. If you want to go with a company which does some rebuilds for dealers, a non dealer shop could order from H and A and install. There are probably many shops with experience in rebuilding Honda Acura transmissions as they are not bullet proof. Fortunately, you did not mention engine overheating.

Some links about this problem.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/58-transmission-problems/33941-radiator.html

Acura MDX Engine Problems Has some transmission-radiator leak comments.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep, my 2003 had the same problem, Acura service $850 for that and 3x flush. 3 months later, now check engine light with p0741. Replaced the torque converter solenoid for ~650, the code still came back on. dealer said coolant in the transmission may mess things up. No matter how many time of flush, still some there. They asked for 6200.. My car still can drive no problem. kind of feeling the check engine light is on, and don't want to push the gas pedal too hard when get up to the hill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts