Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I really on my last legs? I have a 2001 with 144K. At 96k the tranny started to shift rough and rumble. I checked in with you all and was told multiple times to do a triple drain and fill. Went to Acura drove around the block with the mechanic who said yep you need a new torque converter, had them do the triple drain and fill. Shifted like new. Few thousand miles later it started again. Did one drain n fill and was good again. Someone here said they change out tranny fluid with every oil change. For the last 40k I have been doing a single drain and fill with every oil change, sometimes every other oil change. I have not had one issue, smooth shifting up and down. Last week it started to bang really hard down shifting into 3rd when slowing down. occasionally it will slip and rev up w/o power. Just Did a triple flush, replaced the 3 & 4 gear pressure switches with real Honda parts, and just finished replacing the external ATF filter. No Change. Something that seems odd. When I first drive it everything is great, then about 10 minutes of running it starts banging the gears and or slipping. Twice when backing up it slipped so bad i couldn't back up a minimal incline. Shut it off started it right back up and backed up no problem. Any thoughts, words of wisdom? Appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The "good news" is that it IS banging into gear. That would indicate that the clutches are still good, and that the problem is "just" a "control problem". Given that your transmission responded to fluid changes (common for Honda trannies), and that it's now heat-related, I'm betting that you're still dealing with something (linear solenoid, shift solenoid, valve body, etc.) that's "gunked up".

It would possibly be helpful to see if it's thrown any codes by hooking up an OBD reader. Might help point at the issue, or at least narrow it down.

I know I sound like a shill for LubeGard, but I really DO recommend spending a few bucks and pouring in 10-12 ounces of LubeGard Platinum. I've had really good luck with the stuff, and it seems to be designed to fix "gunked up stuff" in the transmission / valve body. And hey, it's cheaper, faster and easier than anything else you're going to try, right? ;-) My son's Subaru had so many problems it was hard to count the symptoms, and a drain-and-fill with some LubeGard Platinum, and a "training drive" had it shifting like a new transmission in 10 minutes.

The last thing I'd add is that it's REALLY handy to have a Honda Diagnostic System (HDS), which allows you to see pretty much everything going on inside your tranny - the position of every solenoid, valve, sensor, etc. It could really help narrow down the search area, anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts