Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what's going on everyone. I have a 2004 Acura MDX and the transmission just went at 165k. I've been doing research and came across one that has 85k, the asking price is $1300 with 90 days warranty. Any suggestions on average pricing? Should I jump on this offer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey, what's going on everyone. I have a 2004 Acura MDX and the transmission just went at 165k. I've been doing research and came across one that has 85k, the asking price is $1300 with 90 days warranty. Any suggestions on average pricing? Should I jump on this offer?
What are your intentions for installation? My trans went at 170k... I toyed for months about doing it myself, and after a lot (I cannot emphasize that enough.. A....L..O..T..) of research realized that it was going to be way too much for me.

I ended up paying a slice over $3k for a rebuilt transmission and installation.

If you have the time, experience, space and tools to do it, and are 100% confident, then I'd say the price is fair.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
That does sound like a pretty good deal on a low-mileage unit.

Just for giggles - are you 100% certain that your current tranny is toast? I've seen some pretty badly misbehaving trannies brought back to good operation with a lot less time and effort than a new tranny would entail. A couple were fixed with nothing more than new fluid and some LubeGard additive. A couple others, with that and an external component (pressure switches, shift solenoids, etc.).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the responses! It started skipping 2 years ago when I first bought it. It would also shut off a couple times before the engine was completely warmed up. The dealers mechanic stated it was the coils, which we replaced, it helped for a little while but then it started happening again. Now I turn it on, and it won't move - at all. I turned it on last night, put it in reverse, it moved a couple inches then shut off. Turned it back on and again, wouldn't move. I was told by a different mechanic that the trans was done, so we just assumed that it finally went.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
What does "shut off" mean? Does if feel like it slips into neutral, or is it doing something else? If the tranny was truly "slipping" (still in gear, but when you push the accelerator, the tach jumps up without the speed increasing), it's probably shot... but if it just feels like it goes into neutral between gears it can be several other "non-fatal" things (like a shift solenoid or pressure switch).

The absolute minimum I'd try before replacing the transmission would be to do a drain and refill (takes around 3 quarts of HONDA fluid). If the drain plug is covered with metal particles (and not just a soft black sludge), I'd probably give up then and there. But if not, I'd make sure (!) that the fluid was at the right level (after a drain/refill) and see if it improves. If it does, I'd drive it a day or two, and do another drain/refill, followed by a third a day or two later. I'd include 8 ounces of LubeGard Platinum on the last fill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Meaning it would completely turn off. We'd have to turn the key all the way off, and then turn back again to start it up. We were never really told why we had to warm the car up for 3-5 minutes before actually putting it in gear without it shutting off. We thought maybe it was the starter, we put in a new battery and it still kept happening. We also changed 2 sensors (one in the front and one in the rear). As far as it "slipping" into neutral, yes, we would rev it and it wouldn't move. We'd have to put it in neutral and put it back in drive. That was pretty much the beginning of the issues. That was when we took it to the mechanic and they told us that the engine oil was black/dark and smelled burned indicating issues with the trans.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Does "it" mean the engine?

Did you suspect the starter because the engine was turning over slowly (or not at all)?

I'm not sure why the engine oil condition would have anything to do with a transmission issue.

I'm too confused as to what your vehicle is doing to even guess at this point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a 2004 and did a 3x trans flush about a year ago because I saw the fluid was burnt, and I doubted the prior owner changed the fluid. Mileage at the time was about 148,000. The plug was covered with a healthy coating of metal shavings, which reduced with each flush. The trans felt a lot smoother than it had been, but there was still a slight slip from 3 to 4th gear, and a hard connection when the OD gear engaged. I nursed it along and got an estimate from a reputable trans shop for a replacement with 12 month warranty for $3,200. Next oil change I did another flush but this time with Lucas Transmission slip fluid. I got another 3 or 4,000 miles out of it before finally failing at around 155,000. The moral of the story is once you develop a slip, the days of the trans are numbered and best make a decision before it craps out all together.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'd add that "slipping" can mean different things, and that the outcome varies by which type of slipping your tranny is experiencing.

If you can feel the tranny slip while it's firmly engaged in a gear (that is, you can blip the tach up and down more than a little with the gas pedal without downshifting) then yes, you'd better be saving aggressively for a new transmission.

OTOH, if it feels like the tranny is going into neutral for a second or two between gears, but then it jerks or engages the gear firmly, that's a different thing altogether - the problem is in the "switching", not the gears themselves. That's where new fluid can help, or where replacement of a shift solenoid or other "external component" might fix your problem.

Also, when you're seeing chunks of identifiable metal on the drain plug magnet, you're going to be replacing that tranny soon!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not in the same boat, but related issue

Frank,

We have an '01 MDX Touring, 261K miles. Our tranny has done us bad 3 times - widely spaced in time and locations. But same issue each time - trans starts slipping, AT temp warning light comes on, Tach goes berserk, fluid boils out trans breather all over hot components and smoke starts boiling up. Last time was 5 days ago after running some moderate grades in Middle GA around Macon, cruise control, about 70 MPH, running in D5. After our second event 6 months ago, I found a local salvage yard that specializes in rebuilding/installing Honda and Acura transmissions for $1800, short guarantee. They also try a quick fix of changing the cooling method from inside the radiator to outside air-to-air cooler installed in front of A/C condenser. We elected to try the quick fix, and it has worked until now. They think the last event indicates that it is now time to do the rebuilt install. Car is probably worth next to nothing due to mileage and age, but I think it is worth an $1800 investment since engine is great, interior still nice, has new tires all around, had timing belt at 185K. My wife disagrees, says she does not trust the vehicle, wants it gone.

Maybe you can find a shop like I have found and replace your tranny reasonably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts