Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 MDX, 206K. Wife was pulling in the driveway (luckily) and the speedo stopped working, gear selector started blinking, and CEL came on. Checked the code, P0722 Transmission output speed sensor. I got a new one, installed it, cleared the code, and all is good. I checked the old one and am a bit alarmed. It looks like the face has been worn away. It looks like it was gradual, and not catastrophic. I just did a drain/fill/drain/fill/drain/fill in the tranny fluid a month ago, but I'm thinking I should do another drain/fill. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Should I have additional concerns?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello,

Please forgive the resurrection of an old thread; I have just removed the Output Speed Sensor from my 2005 MDX, and it looks very similar to this thread.

Did either of you simply replace the sensor and all was well again?

Were there any other side effects, such as transmission not shifting properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The thing I'd be concerned with is where all the ground off pieces have gone. Into the transmission I suspect which isn't good. Anyone know the underlying cause?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Wow...
That should not happen even during normal operation. it looks to me like the sensor creeped into the hole little by little for some unknown reason. Perhaps it might be best to shim the new sensor by 1-2mm to stop that from happening again? That if it works correctly by doing so obviously if not is probably something off in the specs of the sensor being too long/deep and it's hitting the gear. Could the plastic in the sensor absorb ATF and expand making it protrude further into the hole?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow...
That should not happen even during normal operation. it looks to me like the sensor creeped into the hole little by little for some unknown reason. Perhaps it might be best to shim the new sensor by 1-2mm to stop that from happening again? That if it works correctly by doing so obviously if not is probably something off in the specs of the sensor being too long/deep and it's hitting the gear. Could the plastic in the sensor absorb ATF and expand making it protrude further into the hole?
I'm going to flush the transmission, see what comes out, and also shim the new sensor. I put a brand new sensor in, and within 30 seconds it was ruined, so I can rule out the expansion theory.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/143642-2005-transmission-issues.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 with the same thing, both sensors show abrasion, the one with the straight aligned mounting hole was destroyed and exposed the chip. I replaced both and added a washer on both for clearance. Started it up, backed it out and -- still no speedometer reading and no shift out of 1st gear. Will probably try a thinner washer but the one I used was about 2mm.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I remember another thread about this. IIRC the shim worked for a very short time, but the same thing happened again. In the end, it was a worn bearing inside the tranny that was letting a shaft move from its normal position. You can probably verify this by pulling the tranny drain plug and checking it for shavings (which will probably be there - sorry).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts