Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a scare, multiple times in today's round trip commute. Both involving the MDX failing to respond to my throttle input. RPMs dropped below 1000 (close to idle RPMs) while in gear and in motion, multiple times. This never happened before. Not exactly sure what caused this issue. I just passed 66k miles in this trip.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, only change was using 93 octane, if that does any difference.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
431 Posts
Hmmm, concerning.
RPMs drop only when engine looses power, right? Throttle issue, may be?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its shifting harshly now. Not sure if its due to the tank being filled with up only 93. I might have to reset the TCU to make the trans relearn my driving pattern and see if that will fix the issue. Tomorrow I got my 500 mile commute so that should be able to help me understand if a TCU reset helped or not. And also filling the tank back to 87 octane. If this option fails, I'm probably going to take her to Mike Chan over at Acura of Pembroke Pines, since the SA at the local scummy-stealership said I am not allowed to switch between Sport in manual mode to Drive, or change the Dynamic modes while the vehicle is in motion.

There were no codes that were thrown or was displayed at all.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Its shifting harshly now. Not sure if its due to the tank being filled with up only 93. I might have to reset the TCU to make the trans relearn my driving pattern and see if that will fix the issue. Tomorrow I got my 500 mile commute so that should be able to help me understand if a TCU reset helped or not. And also filling the tank back to 87 octane. If this option fails, I'm probably going to take her to Mike Chan over at Acura of Pembroke Pines, since the SA at the local scummy-stealership said I am not allowed to switch between Sport in manual mode to Drive, or change the Dynamic modes while the vehicle is in motion.

There were no codes that were thrown or was displayed at all.
Unless the gas was bad, switching to premium is not going to cause that sort of failure, or any failure. I think you have a problem.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just did an advanced search to get the steps on resetting the TCU so the trans can relearn my driving behavior. I will update this thread later today once I reach campus and then update again tomorrow morning since I will be reaching home around 1am.

@elvisfan I'm pretty sure this has to be a software issue. I've experienced slippage on the Accord (thing leaked ATF through CV Axles, and leaked enough where it was bone dry and thew a CEL) and on the parents current POS Rogue. If this doesn't work, I am actually due for an ATF D&F this OC (I got two buddies that works at Honda as techs, who also said for a D&F needs to be done every 30k, same with a Nissan MasterTech). Hopefully this works out with one of these two fixes. If not, and its indeed something within the tranny, I need to start saving up for a 6MT swap probably from a 6-6 Accord.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's back to her normal self after resetting the Trans. Smooth as butter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just did an advanced search to get the steps on resetting the TCU so the trans can relearn my driving behavior. I will update this thread later today once I reach campus and then update again tomorrow morning since I will be reaching home around 1am.

@elvisfan I'm pretty sure this has to be a software issue. I've experienced slippage on the Accord (thing leaked ATF through CV Axles, and leaked enough where it was bone dry and thew a CEL) and on the parents current POS Rogue. If this doesn't work, I am actually due for an ATF D&F this OC (I got two buddies that works at Honda as techs, who also said for a D&F needs to be done every 30k, same with a Nissan MasterTech). Hopefully this works out with one of these two fixes. If not, and its indeed something within the tranny, I need to start saving up for a 6MT swap probably from a 6-6 Accord.
Is a 6MT swap possible on an MDX?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is a 6MT swap possible on an MDX?
Yes! But it needs a lot of time and resources. I'm just waiting on my buddy to fully move down to FL from PA and make this a true 1 of 1 thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes! But it needs a lot of time and resources. I'm just waiting on my buddy to fully move down to FL from PA and make this a true 1 of 1 thing.

I want to know more so please keep us updated. Our transmission is okay but I'd love to have a 6MT in our MDX.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts