Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P0730: Transmission or Shift Solenoid: Please help

Previous thread: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/112977-2001-mdx-my-issue-related-transmission.html

Hello MDXers,

I need help in making a decision. Few months back, there was a noticeable jerk when shifting from lower to higher gears and the MDX was not accelerating like it was before. Few days later, the dreaded CheckEngine warning appeared . Took it to my mechanic who suggested replacing the transmission.

I did some research and it looked more like a Shift Solenoid issue. Some MDXers suggested replacing the solenoids. Since my mechanic has never replaced the shift solenoids, he was not sure how it would go and gave an estimate of $400 including labor for replacing two solenoids. He reset the CheckEngine warning and asked me replace the solenoids at the earliest. Another option was to replace the transmission.

I procrastinated for 4 months as the gear shift issue was hardly noticeable. Now the problem is back and the CheckEngine warning is back. My mechanic diagnosed it as 'Problem in Shift Control System'. I am attaching the diagnostics here. The diagnostics says, replace the shift solenoid and if the problem persists replace the transmission. But the mechanic says it will be expensive taking my vehicle to the shop two times in case the solenoids didn't fix the problem. His quotes:

$400 for Solenoids
If it didn't fix the problem, *additionally* I have to pay:
$3600 for an used transmission (including labor) or
$5400 for a reconditioned transmission with 3 year warranty (including labor)

I do not have that kind of $$ now unless I get a hefty tax refund. I am unable to find a MDX shop in SF bay area that can change my shift solenoid for a cheaper price.

What should I do? Go with my mechanic for changing the shift solenoid and prey it fixes the problem?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
If it is the 3rd and 4th solenoid's that need to be replaced, thy cost about $60-$70 dollars each and took me 15 minutes to replace on my 2005. There was no fluid loss. The hardest/longest part is dropping the front air valance. Once that is down they are right there in front of you. One is gray in color and the other is tan in color so you can't mix them up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
^ Exactly. I changed both 3rd and 4th on my '06 and it wasn't difficult. I think they're positioned a bit differently on the '01, but it should still be very doable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you end up fixing the shift solenoid problem.? I’m having the same issues and want to know if I should change the solenoids or replace the entire transmission

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
See my post to the "other transmission thread"... it will give you a good idea of what's involved.

Short answer: It's always cheaper and much easier to replace the solenoids. But before that, try a fluid drain-and-fill. Dead easy, dirt cheap, and may well make a big difference. If it does, then do a couple more drain-and-fills over the course of the next few hundred miles and you might just dodge that bullet...

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you’re looking for a shop still, I recall one of the members on here had a sprag gear issue and they took it to a Honda/Acura shop in San Jose. You can try searching for sprag gear or shudder. Quite a lengthy post with lots of downloads. Not saying your trans has the same problem but the lost had the name of the shop and the poster was happy with the work. I can try looking it up later and will post if I find it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here’s the post - see #10 and later.

Ozmotive in Sacramento. Farther for you than SJ but might be worth a call.

ozmotive.com

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts