Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this leak between the transmission and the engine. Looks like engine oil is leaking from the RMS. If the transmission fluid is leaking shouldn’t the color be dark brown or red? I did a high pressure wash and let see what happens.

I have a hunch the leak is probably from flooring that I had done for the past 3-5 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
Check drain plug for tightness? It does not look slow leak, it looks messy down there.

I think you dropped oil pan awhile back, oil pan seal leaks?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check drain plug for tightness? It does not look slow leak, it looks messy down there.

I think you dropped oil pan awhile back, oil pan seal leaks?

leakthe

I don’t see any oil leak under the oil pan or at drain bolt. Yes I removed the oil pan about a year ago and I didn’t see any leak last month.

I noticed the the leak after dealer filled with a conventional oil for the consumption test.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Dealer tech may torque the drain plug. It will leak at 29 lbf-ft as the washer is not crushed. It happened to me when I was using the torque spec. As you drive, the leak oil sputtered everywhere. Double-check that drain plug.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My ‘09 had a rear main seal leak from ~80K until I had it fixed with the timing belt at 105K. It never lost any real volume.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I dropped the transmission and did the repair myself. I used a helping hand just for safety purpose and to speed up the drop and installation of the transmission. Better with two angle simultaneous vision. :smile2:

I did it on one three day holiday weekend. Start to finish, the only surprise was I fixed the leak :grin:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That doesn't look like a leak to me. Looks pretty much the same as I've had for about three years now - just sweating oil. Dealer diagnosed oil pump seals, which will require removing timing belt and oil pan. So I am waiting for the next timing belt change to do it. No oil consumption whatsoever.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My mistake, I checked my records & I was confusing the MDX’s Passenger Side Axle Seal with the RMS I did on my truck at the same time, both a couple years ago.

·
Registered
962 Posts
1. Best way to wash oil residue is "Brake Cleaner". Use only the non-flammable kind. Put down newspaper or cardboard to catch the mess.

2. Good news about a small RMS leak: The leaking oil will not do any mechanical damage since it only soaks the torque converter. Do make sure that it does not leak so badly that it covers the catalyst. That could start a fire.

3. I lived for five years with a leak on my 2005. It got worse in Summer heat, so I switched to 10W30 for Summer use only. That reduced the amount of leakage.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1. Best way to wash oil residue is "Brake Cleaner". Use only the non-flammable kind. Put down newspaper or cardboard to catch the mess.

2. Good news about a small RMS leak: The leaking oil will not do any mechanical damage since it only soaks the torque converter. Do make sure that it does not leak so badly that it covers the catalyst. That could start a fire.

3. I lived for five years with a leak on my 2005. It got worse in Summer heat, so I switched to 10W30 for Summer use only. That reduced the amount of leakage.

Like I mentioned earlier in this post the dealer used a conventional 0w-20 for oil consumption test and that when I noticed the leak at the RMS. I had never noticed any leak at the RMS before as I always used 5w-30 synthetic. So lower viscosity oil is prone to leak?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had this issue with mine. It leaked so minor that it would take a couple thousand miles for it to be noticeable. But finally i took my MDX out for a spirited drive one night and took it for an oil change next day and they told me I had a major oil leak. So I went back and looked turned out to be rms leaking with a constant drip when running and in gear.
It was around 9 hours of labor I believe on AllData. But it has been a few thousand miles now and with a new PCV valve it has not leaked at all so far

·
Registered
12 Posts
I post very little said the same thing last Time I posted ... here’s my qualifications: 2001 Acura CL type S 3.5 swAp ... all bolt ons stock exhaust... 13.306 @ 105.83 see drag times for slips ... almost all Honda’s specially J3x have or will have foaled PCV valves this 20$ part will lead to oil leaks and oil consumption including leaking through the rear main

1 - 16 of 16 Posts