Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have been looking for a nice, RELIABLE used vehicle for nearly a month and happened to come across a 2010 MDX today and immediately feel in love with this vehicle!
Unfortunately the biggest issue I'm seeing online is that they have a history of transmission problems, like $3,000 to repair transmission problems : ( I'm wondering how many MDX drivers out there have actually had tranny issues and does anyone have any advice before I buy this particular vehicle?
There are no service records on the Carfax for the Converter Clutch or the PCM (the recommended update).
However, the vehicle drives and shifts LIKE A DREAM!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Do not buy a 2010 - 2013 Acura MDX, because these are the riskiest years for major repairs.
Look for something else.
You've been warned.

·
Registered
818 Posts
+1 for no 2010-13, but because of oil consumption issues. Pretty much all of the transmission issues for 2007-13 are related to a bad radiator that fails internally and mixes transmission fluid and coolant. Will ruin the transmission if not caught very early or replaced preventatively, so for 2007-09 if you take care of that you should be good. I bought mine at 157K just after the radiator and transmission were done and 20K miles in it's been perfect. I have a history with this era platform and IMO it is one of Honda's best. My Odyssey has 226K and drives great. Was originally planning to dump it at 250K, but I can easily see 300K happening barring anything unforeseen.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Unfortunately the biggest issue I'm seeing online is that they have a history of transmission problems, like $3,000 to repair transmission problems : (
There are no known issues with the second gen MDX transmission, it's rock solid. Those incidents might have been related to the coolant getting into transmission after mixing with ATF in the radiator and destroying the clutches.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What are the early warning signs that something has gone bad in the radiator which will lead into the transmission failure mentioned above? We have owned our 2010 since new and have not experienced oil burning or transmission issues. I did ask the service advisor at the dealership and they just give me the usual "there are no issues Acura does not make mistakes" blah blah blah...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What are the early warning signs that something has gone bad in the radiator which will lead into the transmission failure mentioned above?
Time and moisture is the biggest factor. If you car is 2010, it's a decade old, so it's high time to get the radiator replaced as a preventative measure.

I did ask the service advisor at the dealership and they just give me the usual "there are no issues Acura does not make mistakes" blah blah blah...
Dealership is not interested in preventing your problems. Dealership is only interested in fixing them if they happen. It's just business, nothing personal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 2010 Pilot just popped up in my fb search...anyone care to comment on those?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
2G MDX is not known for internal transmission issues like the 1G MDX...

The main problems with the 2G are:
2007-2009:Radiator Failure mixes atf with af leading to transmission failure (This is not an issue with the trans itself).
2010-2013: Engine Oil Consumption issues lead to excessive oil usage leading to possible engine failure if un-attended.

Reactions: teknocrat

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

Not on the same ball park as the MDX, They are reliable but have a bad safety rating.
Go with the 07-09 MDX instead.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The EX-L and Touring trims have Variable Cylinder Management on them and similar oil consumption issues as the MDX from that era UNLESS the VCM has been deactivated before it develops. Do some reading on it in the Pilot forum. Unfortunately there isn't a good way to find out if a previous owner dumped it for oil consumption issues and of course anyone who installed a VCM deactivation device did it with the intent to drive it until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do not buy a 2010 - 2013 Acura MDX, because these are the riskiest years for major repairs.
Look for something else.
You've been warned.

·
Registered
762 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts