Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my car at an independent Honda-Acura shop. (A very good one.)

The service guy said that I would greatly extend the life of my transmission if I use D3 to drive in town, and D4 on the freeway.

I checked my 'X manual, and it says that I should drive in D5 for most all normal driving (save long downhill runs, towing, etc. ) That, in fact, is what I had been doing.

A brief check of threads here shows significant evidence of tranny problems in Hondas and Acuras other than the MDX, but no widespread, or even mildly sporadic tranny problems with the 'X.

So I assume that the service guy had seen Honda-Acura tranny problems in cars coming through his shop, and was just advising caution. But just to be sure, if you folks know something I don't about tranny problems or using settings lower than D5 on any regular basis, please tell me. Many thanks!

--Marne

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The old thinking was that keeping it out of the tallest gear/overdrive would extend the life of the tranny by reducing the # of shifts in and out of that gear (and hunting). By extension, you could keep it in 1st all the time and avoid all shifting. Of course, your mileage will suffer. I don't know whether the "stay outta OD" is necessarily the case anymore, to be honest. D4 and D5 are actually overdrive gears in the X.

D4 around town isn't gonna kill your gas mileage, and will avoid whatever 5th gear/OD and TC lockups happen in that gear. Note that the TC still locks up in 4th, however.

D3 will clobber your gas mileage.

FWIW, I believe most of the TL/CL tranny problems (which, as you mention, have not manifested themselves on the X's) have been in 2nd and 3rd gears. Perhaps you can call your service guy and ask him the rationale for his recommendations and his experiences w/the CL/TL.

ETA: oh, if you do a search for "overdrive" a buncha threads will pop up with related discussion

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Worm! I'll check out overdrive.

--Marne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts