Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2012 MDX with 70,000 miles, and it seems like it's having issues catching gears. When I hit the gas in 3rd it drops to 2nd, but it seems like it's having trouble catching/accelerating. The RPMs drop between 3,000 and 4,000 RPMs. I'm not letting off the gas so I don't know why it's hesitating to accelerate. I'm trying to figure out why it's doing this.

Any thoughts? Is this normal for 2nd gen MDX's?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Its normal on the 6 speed transmission only, Early 2G MDX had a 5 Speed which is more responsive at low speed.
And nope that is not slipping, I am used to slipping since I had an original 5 speed TL so I know when its slipping.

Reactions: 2012grayMDX

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's another video I took:

youtubedotcom/watch?v=UDI7sOb5P6s

Is the guy in the thread below referring to the same thing I'm referring to?

acurazinedotcom/forums/4g-tl-problems-fixes-297/2012-sh-awd-acceleration-hesitation-problem-918169/

Are there any other threads on here that discuss this?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
How does it behave on full manual? you can tell if its slipping in manual mode more easily.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It doesn't do it when in full manual (S). But it shouldn't do this in D either. Would you agree, or am I overreacting?

It only happens when I am driving about 20 mph and moderately accelerate to drop it into gear (I believe 3rd gear). The RPMs bounce up but then back a little before fully catching.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned with this type of behavior?

There's only 70,000 miles on it, so the transmission definitely shouldn't be slipping.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Full manual will tell you if the trans is slipping as it overrides the automatic transmission shift logic, If it does not slip on full manual then the trans is healthy. If this only happens on FULL D then its the transmission stupid shift logic going haywire (Its a known issue with the 6 speedo in the 3 first gears).. Have you tried going to the dealership? there was a TSB for transmission re-programming that seemed to fix pronounced issues like what you are getting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Full manual will tell you if the trans is slipping as it overrides the automatic transmission shift logic, If it does not slip on full manual then the trans is healthy. If this only happens on FULL D then its the transmission stupid shift logic going haywire (Its a known issue with the 6 speedo in the 3 first gears).. Have you tried going to the dealership? there was a TSB for transmission re-programming that seemed to fix pronounced issues like what you are getting.
I am going to the dealership today to have them investigate. This is very frustrating as I just purchased this vehicle. I did not notice this behavior when test driving.

I am thinking it could be any of the following:

Reset ECU
Change transmission fluid
Bad spark plugs
Torque converter issue
Bad fuel injectors
Software update

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Number 1 priority is the Software Update as this is a known issue with the 6 Speedo.
Then when you rule it out start with a 3x3 ATF Change and go from there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got an idea but you have to follow these steps.
1. Turn key on car to accessory mode (before ignition).
2. Turn off anything that takes electrical power like Ac, lights radio.
3. Turn off car and reinsert key and then to accessory mode.
Put foot on gas and hold for 30 seconds.
4. Turn car off and let foot off gas.
5. Turn car back on and start to drive.
With the 6 speed transmission, it has drive by wire I believe which "learns" how you shift and adjusts. Doing the following steps should reset the system. There is no indication that it has been reset but you can feel it in the responsiveness in the shifting . If you want these steps more in detail type in Acura MDX ecu reset in Google .

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got an idea but you have to follow these steps.
1. Turn key on car to accessory mode (before ignition).
2. Turn off anything that takes electrical power like Ac, lights radio.
3. Turn off car and reinsert key and then to accessory mode.
Put foot on gas and hold for 30 seconds.
4. Turn car off and let foot off gas.
5. Turn car back on and start to drive.
With the 6 speed transmission, it has drive by wire I believe which "learns" how you shift and adjusts. Doing the following steps should reset the system. There is no indication that it has been reset but you can feel it in the responsiveness in the shifting . If you want these steps more in detail type in Acura MDX ecu reset in Google .

I realized you already suggested resetting ECU, I should have read the thread before commenting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Number 1 priority is the Software Update as this is a known issue with the 6 Speedo.
Then when you rule it out start with a 3x3 ATF Change and go from there.
I took my MDX to the dealership where I purchased it and they said my transmission is fine. They reset my ECU and advised me to do exactly what you said - have the Acura dealership check for software updates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2012grayMDX, have you had a chance to bring your MDX to Acura dealer?

I have the same exact thing! Mine has 92k mi, but a year ago I brought it to Acura dealer to check what's going on, they diagnosed it with a bad torque converter, and gave me a quote of $3000 for replacement. I started digging to more information and found a technical service bulletin (TSB)16-062, which was issued by Acura after my visit to the dealer. The TSB requires a software update and transmission flush 2x. I brought it to acura dealer and asked them to perform it on my car. They sounded ignorant of my request, but told me that they'll find a newer version of that TSB. They found TSB 16-063, which is a followup to 16-062, which says that in case 16-062 didn't help, make another transmission flush. So, they installed a software update, did a transmission flush (I'm not exactly sure how many times because the technician was out already when I was picking it up and the service guy had no clue, he was supposed to flush it 2x). To make the long story short, it drove better, I had my fingers crossed that it would stay that way at least. After just a few days, it went to as it was previously. Frustrating. I brought it to local trusted transmission shop, the guy told me that a "bad torque converter" is a B.S. It's a mechanical part which either works or not. It has something to do with electronics. But, he didn't have much time to figure out anything else.
Seems like I'm stuck with no solution. I'm curious to hear your story. Maybe, if the dealer would do 2x-3x transmission flush, it would solve it?? I can't get answers from my dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2012grayMDX, have you had a chance to bring your MDX to Acura dealer?

I have the same exact thing! Mine has 92k mi, but a year ago I brought it to Acura dealer to check what's going on, they diagnosed it with a bad torque converter, and gave me a quote of $3000 for replacement. I started digging to more information and found a technical service bulletin (TSB)16-062, which was issued by Acura after my visit to the dealer. The TSB requires a software update and transmission flush 2x. I brought it to acura dealer and asked them to perform it on my car. They sounded ignorant of my request, but told me that they'll find a newer version of that TSB. They found TSB 16-063, which is a followup to 16-062, which says that in case 16-062 didn't help, make another transmission flush. So, they installed a software update, did a transmission flush (I'm not exactly sure how many times because the technician was out already when I was picking it up and the service guy had no clue, he was supposed to flush it 2x). To make the long story short, it drove better, I had my fingers crossed that it would stay that way at least. After just a few days, it went to as it was previously. Frustrating. I brought it to local trusted transmission shop, the guy told me that a "bad torque converter" is a B.S. It's a mechanical part which either works or not. It has something to do with electronics. But, he didn't have much time to figure out anything else.
Seems like I'm stuck with no solution. I'm curious to hear your story. Maybe, if the dealer would do 2x-3x transmission flush, it would solve it?? I can't get answers from my dealer.
I took mine to the Acura dealer and they said it's running just fine. A mechanic drove it around and didn't notice anything abnormal. I didn't need a software update either. It seems as if this is normal behavior of the 2nd gen MDX's.

I'm just driving my MDX normally now, and trying not to focus on the RPM lag in 2nd and 3rd gears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts