Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had this "gremlin" for some time now, and wanted to see if others have had this issue as well. I have noticed that my car seems to hold gears longer than needed, resulting in revving up to 4k rpm...before upshifting, this is in "D" mode, not "S" and this is under normal acceleration. I noticed that is happens quite a bit when we first take the car out, we have to drive up a steep street, so maybe that has a hand in then subsequently holding gears...but it really shouldn't once we flatten out.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well it's somewhat normal when the engine is cold. It will hold gears longer to assist with warming the engine. If it continues on flat ground after the engine is warmed up, then it's not normal. On hills, it should always hold a lower gear as you're going up and unfortunately 4k rpm isn't much on these engines as they're pretty high strung.

I think the bigger question is how long has this been going on? Did it previously drive in a higher gear up the hills?

Sometimes I wish mine would hold gears longer though. These usually upshift so damn fast they feel under powered if you're not hammering the go-pedal or using S mode.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I haven't had this problem (yet) on my MDX. My 5AT TSX was doing this and a transmission 3X exchange at the dealership fixed the problem. I had about 80,000 when it happened, now have +122,000 with no problems since.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it's somewhat normal when the engine is cold. It will hold gears longer to assist with warming the engine. If it continues on flat ground after the engine is warmed up, then it's not normal. On hills, it should always hold a lower gear as you're going up and unfortunately 4k rpm isn't much on these engines as they're pretty high strung.

I think the bigger question is how long has this been going on? Did it previously drive in a higher gear up the hills?

Sometimes I wish mine would hold gears longer though. These usually upshift so damn fast they feel under powered if you're not hammering the go-pedal or using S mode.
Let me be clear, i do not have an issue with it holding the gear going uphill, it is when it holds the gearing once at the top of the hill and on flat ground...so at that point, it will rev to about 4k and hold it there before downshifting...irritating and not exactly smooth running. This has been going on for at least a year now...but seems to be getting worse as i notice it more in regular driving as well as when cold...its just more pronounced in the morning and coming up my hill. I dread taking it into the dealer and them being able to replicate this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Give it a little more gas. If you are almost coasting the car is going to want to maintain the gear. Also-why not try a paddle if u want it to shift.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Let me be clear, i do not have an issue with it holding the gear going uphill, it is when it holds the gearing once at the top of the hill and on flat ground...so at that point, it will rev to about 4k and hold it there before downshifting...irritating and not exactly smooth running. This has been going on for at least a year now...but seems to be getting worse as i notice it more in regular driving as well as when cold...its just more pronounced in the morning and coming up my hill. I dread taking it into the dealer and them being able to replicate this.
It could be something confused in the "intelligent" transmission controls. They're supposed to learn your driving habits and adjust accordingly. You could try disconnecting the battery for ~20 minutes and see if that resets the ECM.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I haven't had this problem (yet) on my MDX. My 5AT TSX was doing this and a transmission 3X exchange at the dealership fixed the problem. I had about 80,000 when it happened, now have +122,000 with no problems since.
x2

I experienced your exact symptom in other cars and new transmission fluid solved it.

How many miles on your car?

·
Registered
798 Posts
30k is pretty low. Are you the original owner? Do you have a tow hitch? Do you know if it has the original oem fluid in it? What year is your car and are you aware of the torque converter and reprogramming TSB's out there?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
30k is pretty low. Are you the original owner? Do you have a tow hitch? Do you know if it has the original oem fluid in it? What year is your car and are you aware of the torque converter and reprogramming TSB's out there?
I am the original owner, its a 2012 model...i believe the OEM fluid is in...dont recall changing it. I am not aware of those TSB's.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I am the original owner, its a 2012 model...i believe the OEM fluid is in...dont recall changing it. I am not aware of those TSB's.
I try to keep a 30,000 mile intervals for changing AT fluid for all 3 of my vehicles. Depending on how you drive, it could be +100,000 miles for an AT fluid exchange by the M.I.D. My dealership usually charges me about $100 for the AT+transfer case (same fluid) change and they reset the M.I.D. code for AT exchange afterwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine's an older MDX Advanced. I bought it used and checked with the original servicing dealer since new and they said all the software had been updated. I brought to a dealer in my state and the original dealer messed up the 1 software update and there was a newer one. Now my MDX performs flawlessly. I was amazed at the better torque, smooth shifting, and better gas mileage. Something worth checking out. Could be a free/simple PCM patch.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you've never towed with it before and have OEM fluid in it, it doesn't sound like a fluid issue. I would take it to the dealer and see if you are current on all the TSB's and ECU updates first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts