Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called my local Honda and Acura dealers for price quotes for a brake fluid change since I am due for a B1 service soon, and both said I am overdue for the transmission fluid change, the code never came up for it at all. However, I was surprised that the Acura dealer suggested a transmission fluid FLUSH for $290 and said that the drain and fill only drains out 3 quarts. Knowing Honda its supposed to be a D&F. Right now my MDX has 40,304 miles on the odo. So am I overdue for a D&F or should I wait for the transmission service code on the MID screen?

·
Registered
548 Posts
So I called my local Honda and Acura dealers for price quotes for a brake fluid change since I am due for a B1 service soon, and both said I am overdue for the transmission fluid change, the code never came up for it at all. However, I was surprised that the Acura dealer suggested a transmission fluid FLUSH for $290 and said that the drain and fill only drains out 3 quarts. Knowing Honda its supposed to be a D&F. Right now my MDX has 40,304 miles on the odo. So am I overdue for a D&F or should I wait for the transmission service code on the MID screen?
They are right, you are overdue, you should take their suggestion for the flush.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
$290 for transmission does not sound correct. That would require 7+ quarts of fresh fluid. Given the price of fluid, labor, new plugs and service profit margins, it's a great deal if they do more than a d&f. It's difficult to even get a single d&f at that price. Most quote around $400+ for a single drain and fill and the new plugs. Regardless, get it done as it seems to be a reasonable price for at least a d&f and keeps your warranty. on the transmission. The fluid cost has gone down to low $20s from $50s per quart. So it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can do it for $$225 for the transmission fluid service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The ZF9 should not be flushed. It’s a drain and fill using approx. 3.5 qts. Your in car maintenance reminder should tell you when it’s time to change. Usually anywhere from 40-50K miles.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$290 for transmission does not sound correct. That would require 7+ quarts of fresh fluid. Given the price of fluid, labor, new plugs and service profit margins, it's a great deal if they do more than a d&f. It's difficult to even get a single d&f at that price. Most quote around $400+ for a single drain and fill and the new plugs. Regardless, get it done as it seems to be a reasonable price for at least a d&f and keeps your warranty. on the transmission. The fluid cost has gone down to low $20s from $50s per quart. So it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can do it for $$225 for the transmission fluid service.
That's the price both Acura dealers quoted me for the service and they said it has to be a flush since the ZF9 has the torque converter (I never took a detailed look of the transmission to know if it has one or not). Honda quoted me $130 + tax for a D&F.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's the price both Acura dealers quoted me for the service and they said it has to be a flush since the ZF9 has the torque converter (I never took a detailed look of the transmission to know if it has one or not). Honda quoted me $130 + tax for a D&F.

Make sure the honda dealer understands that this is for ATF Type 3.1 fluid and not the usual DW-1 they use for the non-ZF transmissions. For a frame of reference, DIY cost for a d&f is about $85 if one reuses the plugs. The plugs add about $20 each. I change only the drain plug. These plugs have some resin coating that acts like a nylon washer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure the honda dealer understands that this is for ATF Type 3.1 fluid and not the usual DW-1 they use for the non-ZF transmissions. For a frame of reference, DIY cost for a d&f is about $85 if one reuses the plugs. The plugs add about $20 each. I change only the drain plug. These plugs have some resin coating that acts like a nylon washer.
I don't DIY these newer transmissions even for a D&F. Honda quoted me $199 + tax for a flush, but I am going to check with my SA if he is going to use the ATF Type 3.1 trans fluid as you said.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Desh is correct. You must use and only use type 3.1 fluid for the ZF9 tranny. And it should NOT be a flush, just a drain and fill. Not sure how you can do do a flush on a ZF9. Honda does not normally recommend a flush on their trannies!
And while you’re at it, drain and refill the transfer case. It will only be approx. 1/2 qt. and the MDX uses a 75w-85 or 90 gear oil. I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, but any API GL-5 gear oil should be fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Desh is correct. You must use and only use type 3.1 fluid for the ZF9 tranny. And it should NOT be a flush, just a drain and fill. Not sure how you can do do a flush on a ZF9. Honda does not normally recommend a flush on their trannies!
And while you’re at it, drain and refill the transfer case. It will only be approx. 1/2 qt. and the MDX uses a 75w-85 or 90 gear oil. I recommend Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, but any API GL-5 gear oil should be fine.
The FWD MDX has a transfer case??? I thought that was only for the AWD varients. When I asked the acura dealer we bought ours from (the service department for them is ironically in a Honda), they said its a fluid exchange without using the machine but using like all the quarts that the transmission takes. So technically "Honda" told me that it needs a flush.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, the FWD MDX does not have a transfer case. I just assumed yours was an AWD.
Dealer lingo can be confusing at times. Service advisors can tell you what you want to hear or throw out incorrect phrases. Sounds like you are getting a drain and refill, which is what you want. It should take around 3.5 qts.
And I just noticed you only have around 40k miles on your MDX. Your maintenance minder might not have indicated you need a trans service because you don’t need it yet. 40k is a little early for a ZF9 Fluid change. What year is your MDX?
Honda’s 6 spd auto needs a drain and fill approx every 30-35k miles. But your in the middle of your deal and it appears to be a fair price. Good luck with you endeavor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, the FWD MDX does not have a transfer case. I just assumed yours was an AWD.
Dealer lingo can be confusing at times. Service advisors can tell you what you want to hear or throw out incorrect phrases. Sounds like you are getting a drain and refill, which is what you want. It should take around 3.5 qts.
And I just noticed you only have around 40k miles on your MDX. Your maintenance minder might not have indicated you need a trans service because you don’t need it yet. 40k is a little early for a ZF9 Fluid change. What year is your MDX?
Honda’s 6 spd auto needs a drain and fill approx every 30-35k miles. But your in the middle of your deal and it appears to be a fair price. Good luck with you endeavor.
Mines a 17, but I haven't yet put the D&F service onto the appointment yet. Just doing my dudiligence of getting price quotes of the job. Only good thing about these dealerships is they will price match each other or beat them, which I used to my advantage on my previous car (apparently that needed a full flush for the CVT). I don't remember how frequent we did the D&F for our Honda 4spd and 5spd transmission. All I know now is that I should be expecting the transmission service code to come up after this service, and shouldn't be worrying about this for now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did a transmission D&F on my 2017 MDX at 30K miles. It took almost 4 quarts. Unless you have a level driveway, don't remove the level bolt. Just remove the drain bolt to drain the fluid and the fill bolt to fill it. Make sure you measure exactly how much you drained and put the same amount back. I have done this on my 2006 Accord since I bought the car and I have close to 350K miles on it. It costs about $30 a quart. It will take an hour to do the job. You do the math. An Acura dealer will charge you $155 per hour.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just did a transmission D&F on my 2017 MDX at 30K miles. It took almost 4 quarts. Unless you have a level driveway, don't remove the level bolt. Just remove the drain bolt to drain the fluid and the fill bolt to fill it. Make sure you measure exactly how much you drained and put the same amount back. I have done this on my 2006 Accord since I bought the car and I have close to 350K miles on it. It costs about $30 a quart. It will take an hour to do the job. You do the math. An Acura dealer will charge you $155 per hour.
_

2017 MDX model isn't same as 2006 Accord. It's a ATF 9-Speed ZF Transmission, I know you can measure how much you drain and then put them back the same amount. Before fill in you have to check the temp at a certain temp before you fill in fluid. Otherwise, the car will drive like crap and might damage the engine.

I think you did the transmission at 30K is way too early, usually at 60K then 30K after that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't think you can use the temp gun to measure the transmission temp, It is not accurate. You have to use the scan tool to get the right temp before doing so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have scan tool and every tool to work on car except a lift. However, a calibrated laser temp gun should do the job or a thermal imaging camera, which I have both too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts