Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to NOT use the dipstick to refill transmission fluid? I notice most youtube vids show using the fill port in top of trans but it seems like the dipstick is just as easy. Curious what others have done.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
No reason. Filling via fill port is pretty dumb, IMHO.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Idk, I always fill by the fill port. On my dads TL it’s really hard to get at, but even still it helps you to get an easier read on the dipstick, no excess on the walls

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Any reason to NOT use the dipstick to refill transmission fluid?
No, Just 5x more time consuming but who cares right?

Reactions: 07J36

·
Registered
869 Posts
ATF has nonzero viscosity. You have to use a really thin funnel to sneak it into the dipstick tube, and the ATF flows very slowly through the funnel and dipstick tube. If you try to rush it, you end up with ATF everywhere.

If you have a few longish 3/8" drive extensions lying around, it's really not that hard to access the fill port. You might need a breaker bar the first time you loosen the plug. And you need a couple good long funnels.

But either method works fine IF you're patient and you don't mind topping off a funnel a few dozen times. :23:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^Agree

The dipstick tube is almost 1/4 of an inch in diameter the process of filling the ATF through there is painfully slow... In contrast the fill hole is alnost an inch wide.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
You don't use a funnel to feed ATF down the dipstick hole. Use a fluid pump or a fluid transfer tool.

BTW, don't you have to remove air box etc to access that fill hole?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
No, The ATF fill hole has no obstructions and can fit a normal funnel.

·
Registered
268 Posts
^ can agree, I’ve stuck a nice long extension down to the 18mm (Canadian) plug and snaked a long funnel down no problem!

My dads tl has cooler lines all over the place, so I’m glad that’s not my car to work on!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^Agree

The dipstick tube is almost 1/4 of an inch in diameter the process of filling the ATF through there is painfully slow... In contrast the fill hole is alnost an inch wide.
Perhaps they've changed the tube since your model, but it's slightly larger than 3/4" on my 2012. I performed one drain/fill this morning and used a ~20" funnel with a 3/4" OD flexible outlet that fit perfectly into the tube. Fluid flowed normally as well. If the tube was as small as the oil dipstick, I agree the fill port would be a much better choice.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Any reason to NOT use the dipstick to refill transmission fluid?
No, Just 5x more time consuming but who cares right?
+1
if not 10x slower....

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Perhaps they've changed the tube since your model, but it's slightly larger than 3/4" on my 2012. I performed one drain/fill this morning and used a ~20" funnel with a 3/4" OD flexible outlet that fit perfectly into the tube. Fluid flowed normally as well. If the tube was as small as the oil dipstick, I agree the fill port would be a much better choice.

Care to take a picture? makes no sense to make the Dipstick tube domestic car size and keep the ATF Fill Hole for that matter.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Pretty much why I was confused about why anyone would use the fill hole.

Just pull the damn yellow dipstick out and shovel the clear tube inside use the long neck funnel and pure the ATF. make you sure you twist the cap on the clear tube to open so the fluid can flows through. I was in a hurry and I forgot to twist open the cap and spilled ATF everywhere but not much because I caught it on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
do whichever u want. personally id only use the dipstick hole as a fill if for some reason you couldnt get the fill plug off.

I tried to removed plug but it is a lot of work! And you need a long extension for the socket and it is very awkward to stick a long neck funnel there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts