Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our recently bought 14 AWD X has 35k and would like to know if we need to do a ATF flush (drain out fluid 3 times) or change the ATF by dropping the ATF pan and may be change the filter as well?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The transmission does not have a "Pan" to take out as its a sealed unit... There are 2 methods to DIY Flush the transmission:

3x3 (Drain and Fill x 3 Times).
Power Flush (Removing an line from the ATF Warmer to fully drain all the ATF from the transmission).

The 3x3 is the recommended and easiest to do.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
If you can buy a set of RAMPs you can make the 3x3 even easier...
Just ramp the car up, drain the transmission.. Fill about 3 quarts so you can start the car and lower the car to level it up and top it off.

All in all you can do a drain and fill with a ramp in about 15 min. Do it 1 time each week for 3 weeks and you are done with the 3x3.

If you have to jack up the car then yes its a little more time consuming.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any special tool I need to drain/put in the fluid? So I need 9 quarts in total for 3x

Plus how about rear differential fluid flush? Easy as well if you have ramps?
Any suggestions/tips are highly appreciated.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Acura's maintenance procedure for the transmission 14 and 15 models is a single drain and fill with 3.3 quarts. You don't necessarily have to do a drain and fill 3 times, but it's not a bad idea and shows that you're already thinking ahead. If you're planning to do a 3x3, I would at least get that 10th quart so that you can top off the fluid when checking the level after the final fill.

If you've ever done an oil change, I would say that a drain and fill is comparable in terms of difficulty; it's not hard. Here's a DIY thread I posted about changing the transmission fluid:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-thi...nsfer-case-fluid-change-2014-2015-models.html
In my experience, the hardest part of the job is breaking the drain plug loose. Sometimes they seem to be fastened on there super tight from the factory. A warmed up transmission and long handled wrench make it easier to get it loose.

If you're not well versed on the proper ways to raise and secure a vehicle, I'd recommend that you do some reading on the topic. I do understand being nervous about crawling under a 2+ ton vehicle that's up off the ground. Provided that you take all the proper precautions, the risk of getting crushed by the car should be quite low.

By the way, the six speed transmissions in the 14 and 15 models do have an external filter that can be changed if so desired. However, the filter change isn't included in the transmission maintenance prodedures. I think that most Honda and Acura service advisors don't even know about it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I didn't change mine when I did the ATF change.

It's up to you if you want to change it; it depends on how particular you are when it comes to vehicle maintenance. Acura has no recommended interval for changing the filter, so my guess is that it's intended to be a "lifetime" part.

I had the same filter on an Accord I used to own, and I changed it at 60K. I don't think it made a difference, but that was a different car with a different transmission (although I believe the filter was exactly the same).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just drained and fill the ATF. Next step would be rear wheels transfer case ( is this same as differential?) so when I am done with transfer case there are no more fluids to be drained/filled left...correct?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Transfer case and rear differential ( AWD only ) are NOT the same, and they require different fluids.

Transfer case is at the front of the vehicle and requires GL-5 Hypoid Gear Oil. 75W90 or thereabouts will be fine.

Rear differential requires Honda/Acura specified fluid, DPSF. Don't use anything else.

BTW, AFAIK the only ATF filter is internal ( technically, it's sandwiched between the transmission housing and engine block, so it's inaccessible without separating those components... ). NOT a maintenance item.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Transmission needs a 3x3 because you only drain about 40% of the total transmission ATF capacity at each drain procedure.

Transfer case is just drain and fill as you drain the full capacity of the transfer case.

The rear differential uses standard 3/8th sockets so you just need an extension and ratch. To fill the rear diff you will need a hand pump which are around 7-10bucks at any autozone. The rear differential uses special dealership only SH-AWD Diff Fluid! DO NOT USE STANDARD OFF THE SHELF GEAR OIL!!!!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Exactly! you use the same socket for both drain and fill as the one used in the transmission drain plug.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Andy, It sounds like may be a novice at this, so please forgive me if you already knew this: Be sure to remove the filler plug before removing the drain plug. This is to prevent draining out all of the fluid but then not being able to loosen the filler plug to refill it -- an unfortunate predicament indeed!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would first take a sample of the fluid to a local lab and have tested. Many of these fluid changes are a waste of money if the fluid is in perfect condition. I did that at 30,000 and the fluid was still perfect in all ways.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts