Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned something new today from a comment on my YouTube video on how to change the transmission fluid.

The transmission fluid filter is external (I thought it was internal) and it’s below the battery box - you have to remove the battery holding plate to access the filter.

At what interval should this be changed?
Has anyone done this?

I am hyper sensitive to Honda transmissions because my odyssey went kaput after 130k miles with no warning at all.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Honda does not have a maintenance interval for changing any of their ATF filters (I've seen both internal and external), so I'm guessing that it's a "lifetime" part. And if you ask the parts counter at the dealership for one, more than likely they'll tell you "There's no filter for the transmission."

I do know that the external filter has been used in other models in the past. I don't know the specs or filtration performance of the OEM filter, though you may be able to find pics/videos of one that's been cut open. I believe there have been owners who have switched it out for something else (like a Magnefine). On an Accord I used to own, I popped in a replacement Honda filter at 90K during an ATF change. I had no idea whether or not it had an effect, as the transmission (hooked up to the K24) wasn't one of the bad ones Honda made.

Though a filter change wouldn't hurt, I would think that an ATF cooler would be a bit more effective in ensuring the longevity and effectiveness of the fluid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts