Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles on the 2014 Acura MDX before you need to change the transmission fluid and change the transfer case???
Than you Thank you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does the DW-1 transmission formulation come in a synthetic and non-synthetic formulation? I saw a video on YouTube where the Acura DW-1 transmission fluid bottle was labeled as a "synthetic". I have the Honda DW-1 formulation, which does not label it as being a synthetic - will that work in the 2016 Acura MDX (2 wheel drive)?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
DW-1 seems like its Semi-Synthetic formula... It hasn't been confirmed by Honda or Acura its the type of fluid characteristics which gives it away..
Z1 was ticker and smelled different.. DW-1 smells heavily like chemicals and its more fluid, this is why most of us think its Synthetic or at least Semi-Synthetic.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Does the DW-1 transmission formulation come in a synthetic and non-synthetic formulation? I saw a video on YouTube where the Acura DW-1 transmission fluid bottle was labeled as a "synthetic". I have the Honda DW-1 formulation, which does not label it as being a synthetic - will that work in the 2016 Acura MDX (2 wheel drive)?
2016+ do not use dw-1. It uses atf type 3.1.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does anyone know if the Transfer Case process same as Rear Diff Fluid? pretty straight forward? I am going to do the #3 Transmission and Transfer Case, trying to cut down the cost if i can do the Transfer Case.

For Transfer Case, according to the manual: I need 2 type oils?
-Acura Hydoid Gear Oil HGO-1
-Hypoid Gear Oil SAE 75W-85 or SAE 90 (API Grade GL4 or GL5)

For my understanding is: I just need one of those right? eight one will work? or any info/tips?

Thanks.

PS: Dealer quote me for #3 for $410+Tax.
Transmission Fluid cost too much $53.85/Quart :( (ridiculous)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Does anyone know if Dealer use Honda or Acura brand on ATF-Type 3.1? I only found the Honda brand and cheaper around $30

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I've attached the 2016 Pilot rear differential instructions. Same process as ours (2016+ that is). We use 1.92 qts according to our manual. Honda and Acura fluids should be the same btw, given the history of how they take the same fluid and just add an A at the end. Personally, I'm going to get the Honda Type 3.1 because 1) Type 3.0 is Lifeguard Fluid 8 made for the ZF8 and Type 3.1 is Lifeguard Fluid 9 made for the ZF9 and 2) it's cheaper lol

Oh for the other fluids you asked about...
HGO-1 is their branded Hypoid Gear Oil (HGO), so the manual is telling you that if you don't/can't get HGO-1, just get a 75W-85 gear oil that is GL4 or 5 compliant.

Here's emmet's thread about his 6 speed and transfer case change out. Just follow his transfer case instructions: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/135401-diy-transmission-fluid-transfer-case-fluid-change-2014-2015-models.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ok the Piloteers have a LOT of the service info on their site, so here is their 9 speed ATF instructions, which again, should be almost identical with ours. 3.5 qts is correct and the diagram matches what is shown on the 9 speed leaking back plate TSB. Also verified that the plug torque and procedure for level check is identical, so it's safe to use these procedures. For the temperature, you pretty much have to just run through all gears, rev it for a bit, then let it idle for a few minutes. The temp should hit 104F range at that point, so then you just unplug and let the excess drip out. If you really want to be absolutely sure, buy an HDS from ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok the Piloteers have a LOT of the service info on their site, so here is their 9 speed ATF instructions, which again, should be almost identical with ours. 3.5 qts is correct and the diagram matches what is shown on the 9 speed leaking back plate TSB. Also verified that the plug torque and procedure for level check is identical, so it's safe to use these procedures. For the temperature, you pretty much have to just run through all gears, rev it for a bit, then let it idle for a few minutes. The temp should hit 104F range at that point, so then you just unplug and let the excess drip out. If you really want to be absolutely sure, buy an HDS from ebay.
This is the standard service procedure for all the ZF9 transmissions? Sounds like a bit of a hassle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts