Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All -

So I'm still working on getting my MDX in tip top shape in preparation for a road trip later this fall. My new to me MDX has about 145,000 miles and I decided to replaced the cracked and foggy headlight housings. While I was in there, I decided I might as well replace the stock radiator. Based on what I've read on these forums, it appears these radiators are ticking time bombs ready to grenade a perfectly working transmission at any time.

Well....in pulling off the rubber transmission fluid line from the lower passenger side of the radiator the fitting snapped into two. It separated flush with the radiator - upon inspection the fitting is heavily corroded which is sort of surprising to me given that this is a Texas vehicle. Regardless, disaster averted - I have no doubt that thing would have separated on its own in short order..probably on my road trip.

Is the stock Denso radiator lifespan only about 150,000 miles regardless of environment? The replacement Spectra Premium radiator has a different design for these fittings that seems to address this issue - the fittings have a male end that extends past the radiator and the female fitting connects to it instead. Anyways, hopefully this one will last longer than the stock.

One of many reasons why I appreciate this forum - I likely would have scrapped the vehicle if the transmission became toast because of the coolant and transmission fluid mixing.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Damnn that was a close one! good thing you caught it on time.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is the stock Denso radiator lifespan only about 150,000 miles regardless of environment? The replacement Spectra Premium radiator has a different design for these fittings that seems to address this issue - the fittings have a male end that extends past the radiator and the female fitting connects to it instead. Anyways, hopefully this one will last longer than the stock.

One of many reasons why I appreciate this forum - I likely would have scrapped the vehicle if the transmission became toast because of the coolant and transmission fluid mixing.

Thanks again!
I got the Strawberry Milkshake of Death in my 2003 MDX at 153k miles, right on schedule. Of course, I didn't know that was the schedule or I might have done something about it. :frown2: It got a trans transplant and my kids are still driving it.

Wisconsin is known to have some road salt in the winter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts