Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Transmission Failure at 80,600 miles

Last Thursday night we were traveling from California to Arizona through the desert on a steep grade. The transmission seemed to miss a downshift from 5th to 4th and then clunked back into gear. It seemed fine for another 10 miles when it than began to slip in and out of gear. We searched for a safe place to pull over while the transmission finally stuck in a slippery 2nd with the 5 flashing on the dash. After pulling over I found that reverse didn't work. I called Acura Road Side Assistance who dispatched a flat bed truck from 40 miles away. The truck arrived after 1.5 hours later and carried the car back to the closest Acura dealer. I spoke with the dealer on Saturday who said that they are waiting for approval from Acura Engineering to replace the transmission.

This is a 2001 MDX with 80,600 miles. The extended warranty may prove to have been a wise investment.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Trans failure

Sorry about your trans puking out in the middle of nowhere!It is my understanding that Honda has extended the warranty on the 01 and some 02s Odessey trans to 100,000 ,due to all the problems that they have had.I would think the same would apply to the 01&02 Xs?The tech I talked to said the late 02s and 03s are fine if its any consolation.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Trans failure

tommyleon said:
The tech I talked to said the late 02s and 03s are fine if its any consolation.
You're joking, right?

What would you expect him to say?!

And as far as Acura is concerned, all are "ok" and none have any problems.

(please note that I have no opinion one way or the other.)

But why would a tech be a source on transmission life information???

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Re: Transmission Failure at 80,600 miles

Tap said:
Last Thursday night we were traveling from California to Arizona through the desert on a steep grade. The transmission seemed to miss a downshift from 5th to 4th and then clunked back into gear. It seemed fine for another 10 miles when it than began to slip in and out of gear. We searched for a safe place to pull over while the transmission finally stuck in a slippery 2nd with the 5 flashing on the dash. After pulling over I found that reverse didn't work. I called Acura Road Side Assistance who dispatched a flat bed truck from 40 miles away. The truck arrived after 1.5 hours later and carried the car back to the closest Acura dealer. I spoke with the dealer on Saturday who said that they are waiting for approval from Acura Engineering to replace the transmission.

This is a 2001 MDX with 80,600 miles. The extended warranty may prove to have been a wise investment.
Ouch. Hi Tap, I remember you as one of the high-mileage, "old-timers." Sorry to hear that your return is not a happy one. Thanks for describing the symptoms, something to look out for.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Trans problems 91,02 Honda

I call on this dealer and KNOW all the techs on a first name basis.The guy is credible because he works on them every day and has no reason to lie to me.In his mind I'm not a customer but a supplier so I think he' telling me what he he is dealing with and believes.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Hey, Tap. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad everyone's OK. Yea, I'd say your extended warranty is about to pay for itself.

Unfortunate that there isn't "more" warning if the tranny's gonna go. The "traditional" slipping of gears for days/weeks before a total failure would be nice, so you don't end up in the middle of the desert. 10 miles of go ain't a lot of help.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Trans problems 91,02 Honda

tommyleon said:
I call on this dealer and KNOW all the techs on a first name basis.The guy is credible because he works on them every day and has no reason to lie to me.In his mind I'm not a customer but a supplier so I think he' telling me what he he is dealing with and believes.:rolleyes:
Oh, I don't doubt he believes this- he is just not in a position to make any kind of proclamation on the nationwide status of the 2002-03 transmissions. (Two different transmissions, BTW)

It's as old as this topic- the difference between data and anecdote- and nobody at the dealership will be told anything by Acura corporate other than "everything is fine".

But, if it makes anyone feel better, go with it. ;)

Ard

·
Registered
355 Posts
Re: Transmission Failure at 80,600 miles

Hey Tap,

Can you fill us in on the maintenance schedule you maintained for your transmission? Was it by the book or more frequent? Thanks!

Tap said:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Transmission Replaced

The extended warranty may have paid off after all. As I posted before, the car had 80,600 miles on it when the transmission failed. The dealer replaced it (8 days) and charged me the $50 deductible. We rented a car during this period and submitted a claim for reimbursement. The bill for the transmission and labor was a little over 2k.

With regard to maintenance, we did it by the book.

The dealer apparently noticed the well worn trailer hitch and asked us if we tow a boat. We told him that we live on a lake and use it primarily to launch 1/2 mile from the house. I wonder if there is an exclusion if you tow or maybe he was enquiring if it failed while towing.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Transmission Replaced

Tap said:

The dealer apparently noticed the well worn trailer hitch and asked us if we tow a boat. We told him that we live on a lake and use it primarily to launch 1/2 mile from the house. I wonder if there is an exclusion if you tow or maybe he was enquiring if it failed while towing.
Do you have the Acura Cooler package to go with the trailer hitch?

Enquiring minds want to know...

No issues with warranty unless you don't have the factory recommended (required) coolers...

Ard

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi I lost my tranny in my 01 you can read my past posts.I now have an 03 and love it!!!!!any questions?
Oh yea I also recieved a free waranty:2: :2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sticky Transmission

I had the same problem with my transmission -- especially when pulling out of a complete stop. I would get into about third gear and then the RPMs would go way up and then I couldn't get it to "unstick" without taking my foot COMPLETELY off the gas pedal, allowing the RPMs to fall and trying again. Usually it would kick into gear and I could go on my way.

Took my 2002 MDX in complaining of the problem. They identified it as a "blown" transmission cylanoid and I had to leave it with the dealership for a few days to have the cylanoid replaced. Got my X back and was sure that everything would be fine. Two days later, the lights were back on and it was sticking again. Sooo, I took it back in AGAIN. This time they were just puzzled and I was sent home with my X to leave them to contact corporate to figure out what the problem was. About a week later I get a message on my voicemail letting me know that my new transmission was in and I needed to bring in my X to have it installed. Ugh.

By now, I am SICK of being without my X. Honestly, I bought an X because it was the luxury version of Honda. I had a Honda Accord for TWELVE YEARS and NEVER had any mechanical problems -- other than replacing a couple of CV joints in the later years.

So SEVERAL days later I get my X back with a new transmission installed, and I kid you not, I get about 10 miles from the dealership and my VTM 4 light, ABS light AND my SERVICE NEEDED light comes on. I was beside myself! I immediately called the dealership and got on the phone with the same guy I've been dealing with all along and he very non-chalantly says, "Oh, something must have gotten caught up in there. Just bring it in when you have a chance." Like I don't have anything better to do than to bring my vehicle into the shop every few days!!! So, a couple of weeks later, I go to take it in and they put me through the same cr*p and want me to pay for a rent car so they can keep my car and figure out the problem. I couldn't take it anymore and just said, "Maybe another time. I have to go."

So my lights are still on, the car works fine, except for a slight knocking in the back once in a while (obviously something to do with the ABS).

I'm terrified that I have a lemon and I'm dreading when my warranty is up! I was sooo excited when I got my X and now, I sometimes think I should have just kept my damn '91 Accord!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
All due respect, asinaustin, but YOU CRAZY. And your dealer sounds like a real bonehead. Slipping in 3rd is a classic bad tranny symptom and they shouldn't have even let you drive off the lot. "Ah, shucks, go drive around anyway while we scratch our heads on this one, and don't go pulling out in front of any semis."

I can understand wanting to avoid the hassle, but IMO that is a HUGE mistake.

Take that thing back to the dealer and get it fixed. If you're hearing noises when you're driving, you're doing damage.
They owe you a free rental for the time the X is in the shop. If the dealer won't do it on the first request, tell them you want to speak with Acura's district/regional rep. I'd be considering another dealer if I was told non-chalantly to bring it in "whenever..."

Tho to tell you the truth, I'd be talking to the district/regional person, along with a call to Acura's customer service line for a case number, regardless, just because it sounds like the dealer doesn't care too much.

Driving with all the idiot lights ablaze and NOT taking it in is a great way for them to deny you warranty service.

Get. It. Fixed.

Now.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: Transmission Failure at 80,600 miles

wmquan said:

Ouch. Hi Tap, I remember you as one of the high-mileage, "old-timers." Sorry to hear that your return is not a happy one. Thanks for describing the symptoms, something to look out for.

No offense, wmquan. But I was reading back through this thread and saw some humor in the statement..."Thanks for describing the symptoms, something to look out for.".... If anybody has experienced the 'dump' of a sudden rainstorm like they get commonly in Florida, the symptoms are a couple of drops on your windshield before all hell breaks loose!

Having experienced a failed transmisison within a minute of the car being totally immobilized, and having no prior problems, I can assure you, you will never be prepared for it.
That's not always the case, but usually so when the conclusion is a tranny that is totally out of commission. '91 Taurus, lost all gears, and as it struggled it kept downshifting until there were no gears left to downshift to....then coasted to a stop.. lifted the hood, the ATF was molasses, and wisps of smoke rose out of the engine compartment. Not a pretty sight. To add insult to injury, the service manager looked at me with a frown, "are you sure you kept the fluid level maintained" before he reached for the dipstick...The next image that came in my mind was a bulge in the hood, the shape as his skull...:25:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Transmission Failure at 80,600 miles

DaleB said:

The next image that came in my mind was a bulge in the hood, the shape as his skull...:25:
Best DaleB quote ever right there, folks! :17:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
TheWorm said:
All due respect, asinaustin, but YOU CRAZY.

I can understand wanting to avoid the hassle, but IMO that is a HUGE mistake.

dealer doesn't care too much.

Driving with all the idiot lights ablaze and NOT taking it in is a great way for them to deny you warranty service.

Get. It. Fixed.

Now.
Absolutely agree... If I were a district manager, and someone had driven around for more than 24 hours with warning lights on, I'd deny the warranty claim.

That's just stupid.

Any given dealer can have many different 'personalities' depending on who they are dealing with. Sheep get treated like...sheep. Wolves get their attention.

I'd be firing off a certified letter with faxed copies to: the service department manager, the GM of the dealership, Accura cust service in torrance, CA and the president of Acura. I'd explain, among other things, that they are one screw-up away from a lemon law repurchase...

But hey, being a sheep is OK too.

Ard

PS Strong language, but someone needs motivation... :)

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Transmission Failure at 80,600 miles

DaleB said:

No offense, wmquan. But I was reading back through this thread and saw some humor in the statement..."Thanks for describing the symptoms, something to look out for.".... If anybody has experienced the 'dump' of a sudden rainstorm like they get commonly in Florida, the symptoms are a couple of drops on your windshield before all hell breaks loose!

Having experienced a failed transmisison within a minute of the car being totally immobilized, and having no prior problems, I can assure you, you will never be prepared for it.
Hi Dale. You're right, some transmission failures come without warning, or with very little warning. But, as you know, there are definite, recognizable symptoms of possible transmission issues that could lead to failure. I don't necessarily mean signs that failure is imminent in the next five miles, but symptoms that may show eventual and premature failure. E.g. frequent racing, and frequent, sudden downshifts. Obviously you still may not be able to prepare for the exact moment it hits, especially if the dealership doesn't do anything about it.

I'll give you my anecdote and tell you that our '95 Integra suffered from some "symptoms" for some time. Unfortunately we could never duplicate it with the dealership and therein lies one of the problems (doctor won't necessarily treat something they can't see). And then, sure enough, it failed and broke down in the middle of a busy road at 27k miles. The transmission was replaced, and we never had those symptoms again!

Sort of like heart problems in a human ... sometimes there's no symptoms until an attack hits, but sometimes you notice that your chest feels kinda tight.

You can bet that if my MDX exhibits some "symptoms" in the first 50k, I'm buying the extended warranty once I hit 48k. Or I might just trade it in first, though that's not my intention for how long I want to keep the vehicle.

In Tap's case, though, 10 miles could be enough for us to at least limp back home depending on where we're at. We don't put the kind of mileage on our vehicle that he does. In our area, if that started happening, we'd at least pull off the main highway.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
jonnygoodboy said:
Could you tell us what you really think? :D
I tried to sugar coat it...

41 - 59 of 59 Posts