Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Transmission failure poll

Happy_MDX said:
Can we start a poll mileage vs transmission failure ?

Thx
Happy_MDX : 4 :
Look at this poll:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7197

This poll was done at the height of theRobSJ transmission "the sky is falling" hysteria.

No data for 2003 but only 2 problems with 2001's and 3 with 2002's logged. Wish more had participated however it can be assumed that members with transmission problems would be posting such here.

The number of problems on the poll and the number of members mentioning problems is probably real close.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tranny Talk

Mornin Ardvarkus:
Clearer head this morning.I meant other car dealers most ALL of the big three here in Nashville & Birmingham,Al do the BG service.I have not run into an Acura dealer that offered the service.I think the techs are told when they go to Acura training not to do it.They do offer FI and ISC cleaning however.
I won't argue over the merits of cleaning the sludge out of one I hope mine would never get to that point.I don't think the conditioner product does much long term however.It might tighten things up for a few miles.Thats how the folks that sell this stuff get the service writers to buy in on the product.They will clean a service writers vehicle which is usually an older ,tired vehicle with a ton of miles and when he drives it around the block,shazam it shifts like a new one.
I don't expect to hear from the factory where their made(that was kinda slang for a person that works for American Honda/Acura) however I gotta believe that someone that works for them might want to respond to clear all the wild speculation up.Surely they read this site!
I do have a contact with our company that calls on OEM and I will ask him to ask his contact, if we don't here something.
I will in the future refer to other dealers by their respective names.
thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Tranny Talk

tommyleon said:
Mornin Ardvarkus:
Clearer head this morning.I meant other car dealers most ALL of the big three here in Nashville & Birmingham,Al do the BG service.I have not run into an Acura dealer that offered the service.I think the techs are told when they go to Acura training not to do it.They do offer FI and ISC cleaning however.
I won't argue over the merits of cleaning the sludge out of one I hope mine would never get to that point.I don't think the conditioner product does much long term however.It might tighten things up for a few miles.
thanks,
Tom
If you do searches on the internet there is quite a bit of information on transmission flushes.
There are many types, from power flushes, to using chemicals, etc.
The most 'gentle' is to take it a transmission shop and do the basic exchange out with the old, in with the new, from the coolant line and 2 buckets.
The engine idles and the tranny pump just works as usual.
As soon as it runs clear, you stop. Check for level, and you are done.
You can do it yourself too, but then it is more difficult to 'log' as a service.
Or take it to Acura for the minimal change and do the flush on your own. They still have to honor the warranty, without knowing what additional maintenance you ever did for your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transmission failure

I am the owner of both a 99 Odyssey and a 2001 MDX and am absolutely shocked at the poor quality of the transmissions. After taking the Honda repeatedly back to the dealer last year - at least five times complaining about jerking with the transmission I eventually forced the dipstick from the transmission under the nose of the service manager before they conceded that there was a real problem. I got a new transmission about a day later. Now I have a different problem with the MDX.
I have just clocked 30,000 relatively hastle free miles with my 01 MDX. However I have developed a problem that I think is related to the transmission. I do a substantial amount of bumper to bumper commuting in Los Angeles on a daily basis. On an intermittent basis when starting up in stop and go I get a shuddering coming from the transmission at about 1900 rpm or
mostly at about 20 miles per hour. It feels like the transmissions is in too high a gear for the power it needs to get up and go. It is really disconcerting when it happens. When I spoke to my dealer he said to just put the transmission in low gear. But I do not feel that that is a satisfactory response since the other 100,000 autos driving with me on the freeway would also all be driving in low gear. Anybody else experience this or any suggestions.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tranny dead

The verdict is in - the transmission has to be replaced - again this is on a 2002 base w/ 21K miles. I will keep you posted. The dealer reports that this is the first MDX they've seen needing a new tranny.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Behind the Scenes

I went to Walker Acura of Louisiana a couple months ago for the scheduled maintenance. I was hanging out the service department talking to this chick that was working the service counter. She went back and I grabbed the log book on the counter and ran through it. I saw lots of work on CL and TL transmissions but nothing on the MDX. I went through at least the last 100 customers and nothing of that nature. I'll be sure to do the same spy work next time I go in for service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:mad: I have the same problem with my 02 MDX. I have 24k miles and over the past month I started experiencing intermittent problems with gears shifting while in D5. The problem is exactly the same as yours, the motor will race up to 6k rpm and 30-60 seconds later the transmission will finally re-engage. I took it into the dealer yesterday, and they came back saying the 'internal computer' didn't register any problem (even though this happened to me at least 6 times) and they couldn't duplicate on test drives. Therefore , the dealer won't/can't fix the car. I am very frustrated, feeling like I am waiting for a time bomb to go off!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
dz1 said:
:mad: I have the same problem with my 02 MDX. I have 24k miles and over the past month I started experiencing intermittent problems with gears shifting while in D5. The problem is exactly the same as yours, the motor will race up to 6k rpm and 30-60 seconds later the transmission will finally re-engage. I took it into the dealer yesterday, and they came back saying the 'internal computer' didn't register any problem (even though this happened to me at least 6 times) and they couldn't duplicate on test drives. Therefore , the dealer won't/can't fix the car. I am very frustrated, feeling like I am waiting for a time bomb to go off!
Bring it back and insist that the service writer use the following exact language PRINTIED ON THE CIOMPUTER PRINTOUT:

"Customer states transmission 'disengaes' then engine races for 30-60 seconds, then 'reengages'. Customer is concerned for his safety during drving in heavy traffic"

or

Tranmission is unsafe according to customer. During high speed driving (50-55 mph) transmission 'disengages' then engine races for 30-60 seconds, then 'reengages'

You'll then get some action. The word 'safety' is a code word for 'big settlement' and will get some attention.

If there is a mechanical malfunction in the valve body (causing erratic behaviour and shifts) I am not sure the computer picks this up. Did they (or you!) check the fluid? What is the condition?

Ard

·
Registered
202 Posts
Honda extends tranny warranty.

This may have already been posted here,but I'll mention it anway.
I talked to the Waltrip Honda S.M. today and he says Honda has extended the warranty on the 01,and 02 Odessey tranny to 100,000 miles due to all the problems with them.He said the later 02,and 03s are not showing problems? I wonder if Acura will do the same for the X.
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
transmission being replaced

dz1 said:
Well, I took the advice of Aardvarkus and insisted that the service mgr. write in my records "customer states that car is slipping/disengaging at speeds of 40 to 50 mph intermittently and is concerned for her safety" That prompted the Acura dealer to flush out the transmission fluid to try and resolve the issue. After I picked up the car that same afternoon, the engine started 'slipping' again, but a service light did go off on the dash this time. I brought it to the dealer right away and they were finally able to duplicate the problem. They have my car and are going to replace the transmission next week. They provided me with a rental car until the MDX is fixed. Disappointing that the tranny went out at 24k...

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
ardvarkus said:

Bring it back and insist that the service writer use the following exact language PRINTIED ON THE CIOMPUTER PRINTOUT:

"Customer states transmission 'disengaes' then engine races for 30-60 seconds, then 'reengages'. Customer is concerned for his safety during drving in heavy traffic"

or

Tranmission is unsafe according to customer. During high speed driving (50-55 mph) transmission 'disengages' then engine races for 30-60 seconds, then 'reengages'

You'll then get some action. The word 'safety' is a code word for 'big settlement' and will get some attention...
Excellent suggestion ardvarkus... you hit the nail on the head... 'safety' usually gets attention!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: transmission being replaced

dz1 said:

Well, I took the advice of Aardvarkus and insisted that the service mgr. write in my records "customer states that car is slipping/disengaging at speeds of 40 to 50 mph intermittently and is concerned for her safety" That prompted the Acura dealer to flush out the transmission fluid to try and resolve the issue. After I picked up the car that same afternoon, the engine started 'slipping' again, but a service light did go off on the dash this time. I brought it to the dealer right away and they were finally able to duplicate the problem. They have my car and are going to replace the transmission next week. They provided me with a rental car until the MDX is fixed. Disappointing that the tranny went out at 24k...
It sucks to have to resort to threats and coersion just to get them to do their jobs....

Nice to hear it is getting fixed-

interesting to hear that by flushing the fluid and 'messing' with stuff it seemed to trigger a 'hard failure'.

Let us know when it is back-

Ard

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the dealer uses the flush machines, at what point does the filter get changed?
My wife (not the MDX) was offered a tranny flush, but no filter change for $80 @ Valvoline. The guy said the filter was digitally cleaned. What the heck does that mean? Of course she didn't get it done.

My concern is if the flush method is done they do not take the pan off, clean it and replace the filter.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
New MDXer said:
If the dealer uses the flush machines, at what point does the filter get changed?
My wife (not the MDX) was offered a tranny flush, but no filter change for $80 @ Valvoline. The guy said the filter was digitally cleaned. What the heck does that mean? Of course she didn't get it done.

My concern is if the flush method is done they do not take the pan off, clean it and replace the filter.
Couple o' thoughts...

1. If someone tells you the filter is 'digitally cleaned' he is either (a) a moron, (b) a crook, or (c) thinks you're a moron.

Run. Find another shop.

2. There is no filter in the MDX transmission. There is no pan either. Yes, this is true. Many ATs have a man an 'screen/filter thingy' that can be cleaned or replaced, but usually isn't...in the MDX there's none.

3. Still get it flushed by a REPUTABLE shop- you just want to get a complete fiuid change- no heroics/ special cleaners, etc... just all new Honda Z1 ATF...

Ard

PS You do know that you need special fluid- not just 'honda approved ATF'...the only fluid HONDA has approved (AFAIK) is the Z1.

PPS Watch her tranny, too

·
Registered
183 Posts
ardvarkus

Thanks for the info on the MDX. I take the MDX to the dealer only. So I don't worry about maintenance.

The questions I had pertained to my wife's vehicle and the scam valvoline tried to pull on her. I will have to find an 'honest' shop in my area or take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
New MDXer said:
ardvarkus

Thanks for the info on the MDX. I take the MDX to the dealer only. So I don't worry about maintenance.

The questions I had pertained to my wife's vehicle and the scam valvoline tried to pull on her. I will have to find an 'honest' shop in my area or take it to the dealer.
Actually, my comments apply to thr dealer as well.

Just because they happen to have an Acura franchise doesn't automatically make them honest or competant.

Still, it helps.

Ard

·
Registered
259 Posts
The guy said the filter was digitally cleaned. What the heck does that mean? [/B]
I've heard of "digital rectal exams" where the doctor sticks his finger up you a#@. Maybe that's what the shop is doing to you. :9:

·
Registered
1 Posts
MDX Transmission failure at 19,190

I have a 2002 MDX. I noticed that the tranny started to slip between 1 and 2 gear. I took it into the dealer who said they could not recreate the problem. They said it was OK, because I have the warranty to cover it. I then brought it back after 3k miles. I documeneted every porblem with the mileage. I asked them on the last visit if they wanted that documentation. They said that the computer would tell them when it slipped. The computer did not register the first three poblems and since it was not reproduced in the test drive, I did not have a case. The seond time around the problem surfaced and they said I would be getting a new tranny. I reported a scrapping sound when turing right into a drive way. This turned out to be a broken link, that they have seen a lot of. They then told me the rotors were warped and that I would have to pay to have the brakes fix. To top it all off, they wanted to keep my car for 5 days and they did not have courtesy care for me to use. They agreed to fix the brakes through a courtesy gesture and I will use the car until the tranny comes in and they then should have a courtesy car for me. I have had other Acuras and I have noticed that their quality is decreasing and the service is hot and cold. They must pay off the reviewers to get such good recommendations, because I was not aware of these tranny problems. I don't care how great a product is, if customers get tired of expending their time because of little issues here and there, they wil move on to the competition. If Acura does not get their act together, their sales will show these types of frustrations. Bad news travels 100x faster and is reinforced more than good news. I asked for the 100k warranty and they said no. I then asked if the new tranny would have the 5yr/50k from date of installation. They said no. What does that tell a customer?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ballyhi;

Maybe this tells the customer that: "Total quality care and service is not our goal or ambition".

Hope this transmission serves you better than the original.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts