Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Did anyone who is experiencing tranny trouble do a service on there tranny and when was it serviced??? Very important issue!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, when I brought mine in, the dealer could not replicate the problem, but noted the hard shifting. The dealer power flushed the transmission & returned it to me. The transmission slipped again within 50 miles and we decided we'd had enough and traded in the '02 on an '03. The dealer did a good job trying to replicate the problem and made a very fair deal on the '03. I have no doubt that the tranny in the '02 will fail if it hasn't done so already.

·
Registered
653 Posts
batesbiz said:
I'd prefer not to mention names on the board but they have been great to work with. I've referred several people (X owners) who also have their service done there and all have been very satisfied. This is the 2nd vehicle I've purchased from them. The other is an '01 Odyssey, also Canadian.
I can respect that. I do however think that as a dealership, they should have known better than to have sold a Canadian model in the US where they know it voids the warranty and is against policy. I guess as long as they are up front and inform you of this fact, then the choice is left to the consumer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Transmission Problem or EGR malfunction?

A quick update...
As I mentioned earlier, the X would not act up last week when I left it for the day at Acura but today was a different story. I brought it back to Acura and they confirmed it was the EGR. Considering the 3rd party warranty, this was the comment on the repair document. "Check trans c/s trans seems to be shuddering. Tested system found EGR valve to be bad. Need to replace and retest. Car needs to go to (Honda dealer where purchased) to be replaced".

I then proceeded back to the Honda dealer where they scheduled me for the work this Friday AM. I'm glad these two dealers are within 1 mile of each other!

I'll be back to the board with the results of the EGR replacement.
Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
egr from honda ?

I called my Honda dealer for a price on egr for mdx. He said he has no way to look up the part number, but if I got the number he could probably get it. Anyone know it?
My air filter was $32 from Acura, so I called Honda and it was $18, and I noticed Tim gets $15.

·
Registered
16 Posts
EGR replacement fixed the problem.

I had the EGR valve replaced today and the problem appears to be gone! Drove about 150 miles after the repair so I'm quite sure it's fixed. It was a 45 minute job and was covered under the 3rd party dealer extended warranty, no questions asked. It was written up as a $241 repair, parts were about $200.

Glad it's not the tranny!

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.

Jim

·
Registered
183 Posts
Acura replaced my transmission at 41,800 miles. Similar symptoms but it did slip the gears. First code to appear was for a linear solinoid valve, but that did not solve the problem.

The repair report indicated flaired 2nd and 3rd gears.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
transmission

recently had to replace trans @88,000 miles on MDX delivered in July of 01. grating noise suddenly developed in 2nd gear. immediately (within 3 days)went to the servicing dealer. analysis, after 30 minutes, was to replace with factory re-built at cost of $5300+. after i was revived and calmed down, i was told it was ok to drive. went home and contacted various thieves (local and national transmission shops). they all said $1200-$1600 but would not know for sure until they got inside. based on previous extemely p--- poor experience with folks of this type i quickly went back to the dealer. (note, the MDX has only been serviced by the dealer and per ACURA maintenance schedule. i use the vehicle for work and 70%+ of the miles are freeway.)

by this time i was once again beside myself with the service mgr. he indicated that given my service record he would contact ACURA and see what they would do and to give him a couple of days. he actually got back to me the next day and said "given my service record, ACURA had agreed that they would pick up all but $2700. after some mulling over, i authorized the replacement. i continued to drive the MDX while waiting for the rebuilt to be shipped to the dealer.

in the meantime, i found this site and began to do a lot of research. learned of the problems with the Odyssey, TL's, warranties extended to 100k on transmissions, etc. not the least of my research was the info around the submittal by Honda USA to the NHTSA for transmission problems on the above vehicles. as indicated by a poster to this site, i found information buried in the report around increasing problems with MDX's of my vintage.

armed with the above information and my maintenance record, i went back to the dealer and requested the name and phone # of the ACURA rep as i felt that this should not have occurred on a premium vehicle. the dealer was very put off by the request, indicating that this was a reflection on them and would cause them grief with ACURA. (i am and have been happy with the performance of the dealer from purchase thru service.)

i verbally delivered everything i had learned to the service mgr. the next day he called me back and said that my cost was $1000. i am now driving with a factory rebuilt trans, 12 mos or 36000 miles and a commitment from the dealer that should the warranty on MDX's be extended to 100k, that i would get my $$ back.

i am not satisfied. i do not believe that given the type of driving, the vehicle and maintenance performed i should have had a failure. still pursuing with the dealer. certain that the next step is with ACURA.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Did any of you guys do a triple flush or even the single flush at the scheduled interval of 30,000 miles? or even sooner or later?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts