Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted for some time, but now I have an issue, I think..

The transmission "D" light will sometimes flash under hard acceleration. First noticed it this past weekend. Was sitting on the highway in stop and go traffic for at least 20 minutes, and the road ahead finally opened up so I punched it. Hard. It was pulling very strong, didn't notice anything weird, until I caught from the corner of my eye that right around 6000 RPMs the "D" light flashed maybe 2-3 times, then went away as soon as the transmission shifted. No error codes came up on the nav, and no engine light came on.

I got to thinking maybe it was just because I was moving relatively slow for 20 minutes, that maybe the transmission had overheated or something, because after all the summer heat here in florida is killer.

Has this happened to anyone? Seems to only happen if you're already moving. Wont happen if you do it from a dead stop.

Don't think I drag race this car. I sometimes drive it hard, and yes, its getting up in miles, about 150K, but its dead reliable. I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon but its worrying me with this blinking "D" light. Fingers crossed my transmission isn't on its way out..

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
You can repeat the symptom every time you punch it hard?
The D light flashing means = Problem with the Transmission.
If the trans had overheated it would have thrown a "Transmission Hot" warning in the MID and it has its own special light in the dashboard "A/T Hot".

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't say every time. It won't happen if you're at a dead stop. Sometimes it won't even happen. It's weird.

I did some looking around here and on the pilot forms and some were talking about the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches. Is that probable? I'd much rather spend $350 vs $3500 or more for a tranny.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Pressure switches can clog but also throw an OBDII code quite fast...
How is the ATF Life? I would do a 3x3 before spending money on pressure switches.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just replaced the 3rd gear pressure switch in ours, but it also threw a CEL code along with the flashing D. The part was about $30 and it took me all of 30 minutes to install it. All you need is a 22mm wrench, a flathead screwdriver, a light and a strong neck (because it's not easy to see so you have to contort to see the stupid thing).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the ATF, transfer case, and rear diff fluids at 125K miles, or March of last year. Planned to wait a little longer and do it all at once with my next service, but I may be doing it sooner then later now.

I'll try to get a friend of mine use his scanner and see if it stored any codes. Just really hoping its not my trans.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Trans have a lot of stuff in it, doesn´t mean everything wrong with it its expensive... I did my TRS not long ago and while it wasn´t super cheap (75 bucks) it wasn´t a wallet killer either.. Pressure Switches are not expensive, Solenoids might be but if they are clogged its usually because of bad maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts