Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the transmission cooler fail inside the radiator and had a new radiator put in and hoses and such. When they started it up after they said the check engine light came on and said spark plug 4 was misfiring and was replaced and was ready to be picked up. Started driving it and it felt like it was running weird. After further driving I noticed that it felt as if it wanted to stall at lower rpm and a little loss of power. When we got home I noticed it could barely get up the driveway, only doing so after revving it up really high. I started it a few min later and it ran really bad like it wanted to stall and the check engine light and vtm4 "sp" light came on.

What gives? I looked online and it says it could be the EGR ports might need cleaned or a new EGR sensor or even valves timed. How can this be right after this radiator service? Anyone have this issue and how should I go about it when I call the Acura dealer?

2005 Acura MDX fully loaded.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Had the transmission cooler fail inside the radiator and had a new radiator put in and hoses and such. When they started it up after they said the check engine light came on and said spark plug 4 was misfiring and was replaced and was ready to be picked up. Started driving it and it felt like it was running weird. After further driving I noticed that it felt as if it wanted to stall at lower rpm and a little loss of power. When we got home I noticed it could barely get up the driveway, only doing so after revving it up really high. I started it a few min later and it ran really bad like it wanted to stall and the check engine light and vtm4 "sp" light came on.

What gives? I looked online and it says it could be the EGR ports might need cleaned or a new EGR sensor or even valves timed. How can this be right after this radiator service? Anyone have this issue and how should I go about it when I call the Acura dealer?

2005 Acura MDX fully loaded.
Did the failure allow the tranny fluid and coolant to mix? If so, they should have flushed the tranny and engine multiple times. That particular failure allows coolant to get into the tranny and tranny fluid to get into the engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the failure allow the tranny fluid and coolant to mix? If so, they should have flushed the tranny and engine multiple times. That particular failure allows coolant to get into the tranny and tranny fluid to get into the engine.

They said they couldn't see anything in the tranny liquid but they flushed it 2 times. I took it back this morning and hopefully it will get fixed.

This is a really bad design. Radiator goes out and takes the whole car with it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Pretty much all cars have a cooler in the radiator like that. They just never seem to fail on other cars.:rolleyes: The in tank cooler is also a warmer. It is used to bring the fluid up to temp and avoid over-cooling in colder climates. I would love to bypass it, but I don't think it's a good idea in my part of the world.

I'm wondering if there is a quality aftermarket radiator out there that would bolt right in and never fail like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bough an 03 in August and the seller never told me that his tranny cooler failed previously. The only way I found out about it is I talked to a guy at a tranny shop about replacing the Torque Converter (yes it has that failure too and he hid that from me as well) and he told me that vehicle had already been to another repair shop fo flush tranny because there was coolant in it. Does this mean I will be replacing the transmission on a vehicle that I just bought a month ago? It seems to shift fine except for the rumble strip noise that everyone know about in D5.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I bough an 03 in August and the seller never told me that his tranny cooler failed previously. The only way I found out about it is I talked to a guy at a tranny shop about replacing the Torque Converter (yes it has that failure too and he hid that from me as well) and he told me that vehicle had already been to another repair shop fo flush tranny because there was coolant in it. Does this mean I will be replacing the transmission on a vehicle that I just bought a month ago? It seems to shift fine except for the rumble strip noise that everyone know about in D5.
One of our vehicles is a 2005 Pilot. We had the rad failure that allowed coolant and tranny oil to mix. They flushed the engine and tranny mulitple times. It was caught right away and not driven to the point that the tranny was not responding. I then had the tranny fluid changed again at the next visit. We have put 35K additional miles on it since it happened and have had no issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of our vehicles is a 2005 Pilot. We had the rad failure that allowed coolant and tranny oil to mix. They flushed the engine and tranny mulitple times. It was caught right away and not driven to the point that the tranny was not responding. I then had the tranny fluid changed again at the next visit. We have put 35K additional miles on it since it happened and have had no issues.

They have flushed mine 4 times. At least that is what they said. Noe when I sit at a light for more than a few min it slipps when I try and press on the pedal. 1st gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I want to know if you guys think the Dealership has had a role in maybe breaking my transmission. I backtracked my oil leak to only a mile away from my house. That is where it started leaking. I found it in my garage with the puddle and didn't turn it on or anything and had it towed to the Acura Mechanic. They turned it on and ran it before calling me. They called me that morning after I towed it and they said they started it and it seams fine and wondered why I brought it in!. So They could have been the ones who messed up my transmission. They also when flusjing out the system didn't put enough back into it. I know because I have taken it back 3 times now and they said the transmission fluid was low. They had just filled it and now its slipping? Do I have a case here? I did everything right and it seams they have done everything wrong. I think they should have to pay for some of the repairs. What do you guys think?

I have been printing out all these posts where people have the same problem. Please reply to this thread and let me know if you also have had the cooler line break and take out or almost take out your transmission.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just had my radiator stock cooler replaced and put on an external cooler. No worriesabout coolant getting sucked into the tranny from a stupid pipe. My buddy had his 04 MDX drop dead on the freeway at 90K from the transmission failure due to this leak. B/C he serviced it at the dealer regularily, Acura paid for half of the repair.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My instincts are the dealer service department didn't know the extent of the damage. I had an 03 rad blow a hose and dump all the fluid. Fortunately the X wasn't driven an inch and was towed to my local indy shop here in Arlington, VA. Had the rad and hoses replaced and it has been fine for an additional 30,000 miles. I'm at over 130,000 now. The dealer let you drive home limping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
our 2006 MDX had trans cooler failure (leaing internally)allowing trans fluid to mix with coolant. radiator replaced and flushed radiator and trans by service. Now hearing some unknown intermittent sound - like a growling noise. anyone know what that would be ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
our 2006 MDX had trans cooler failure (leaking internally)allowing trans fluid to mix with coolant. Radiator replaced and flushed radiator and trans by service. Now hearing some unknown intermittent sound - like a growling noise. anyone know what that would be ?

Today, clear liquid leaking from just inside passenger side wheel - can't see from where - need to take it back to service center

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sooo, in the cold mornings when I reverse out of my driveway then put the X into D4 (most of my driving is in D4 right now until I get new TC) and push on the gas pedal and nothing...put back in park and then to D4 nothing...put into 1st and I can drive like it's a manual transmission. Drove 3 1/2 hours to nearest Acura dealer and left it. They are currently puting a new transmission in the car I bought three months ago. The good news is Acura is paying half :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sooo, in the cold mornings when I reverse out of my driveway then put the X into D4 (most of my driving is in D4 right now until I get new TC) and push on the gas pedal and nothing...put back in park and then to D4 nothing...put into 1st and I can drive like it's a manual transmission. Drove 3 1/2 hours to nearest Acura dealer and left it. They are currently puting a new transmission in the car I bought three months ago. The good news is Acura is paying half :)
If this X is only 3.5 months old WHY aren't Acura paying the full shot of the bill. My acura dealership would be.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
If this X is only 3.5 months old WHY aren't Acura paying the full shot of the bill. My acura dealership would be.
Because, as noted in his post on the previous page, it's an eight-year-old car (a 2003 MDX), and he bought it from a private seller. So getting half of the repair paid for is a pretty good deal.

Did you think this was a brand new car?

·
Registered
217 Posts
My radiator failed on my 05 but luckily i caught it in time and didnt drive much afterwards. i bought a new radiator from the dealer and i'm wondering whats the difference between the new one and the one that failed? anyone know? i dont want the same issue down the road.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts