Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. Does anyone know how to access/change the oil in the TC? Will be doing a tranny drain and refill and want know howhow tedious the TC is.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just make sure to remove the filler plug first! How terrible would it be to drain the transfer case only to not be able to remove the filler plug? If you can't remove the filler plug, then don't drain it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It is tedious in that you have to pump the fluid up into the fill hole (unlike the transmission), or if there is enough room, you can squeeze and twist and fold the quart size jug and get enough in there. That is how it was on our 2003, so I am not sure you have the same amount of room for that. Maybe so, or jack it up and use a hand pump. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
it's not too hard, just loosen both the filler bolt (top) and drain bolt (bottom), let drain. Then use the pump like mentioned above and fill back, no jacks needed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
To use a pump, I needed to jack mine up and I did not want to do that. Plus, my pump only fits gallon jugs. You have to buy a pump that fits quarts. Or just pour it in like I described.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is there a maintenance interval on changing the TC oil? I was only aware of the tranny & rear diff fluid changes. My vehicle has been serviced for years by Acura and never have they mentioned changing it. With 180k miles in my X, I'm really wondering now about if it's ever been changed!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a maintenance interval on changing the TC oil? I was only aware of the tranny & rear diff fluid changes. My vehicle has been serviced for years by Acura and never have they mentioned changing it. With 180k miles in my X, I'm really wondering now about if it's ever been changed!

Note sure what year your MDX is, but the info for the 2008 is in the owners manual. You'll get a service mtce minder (Screen shot of manual attached)

Looks like it's done at the same time the Transmission fluid is changed.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts