Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 2001 Accura MDX with 35,750 miles on it. About 500 hundred miles ago a slipping belt type noise started. It progrssed to a reasonably loud hissing noise as the engine came up in RPM. We took it in for service this week and they identified the problem as a cracked transfer case. They replaced it and the noise is gone... but I doublt the diagnosis... No fluids were leaking and I think a cracked case would leak.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Bob "laserman" Murrow

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Huh?... no transfer "case" on the MDX.

What was the part called on the invoice/work order? Be curious to know exactly what was on the parts list.

A cracked part could also be on one of the mounting tabs, such that the whole assembly looses alignment and makes noice but doesn't leak. There is a transfer assembly, but that mounts directly to the trans with integral bolts (no mounting tabs) maybe it was cracked above the fluid line?

Ard

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transfer case revisited

The work order said "replace transfer case"

I also asked Tim the Accura guy here about it and he said it was not a known failure. The way he worded the answer sort of indicated there is a transfer case.

I am not mechanic. I remain happy with the MDX. The service I have had has been great and thiy fixed this problem in 2 days.

We are leaving for a 6,600 milr trip in a couple of weeks so when I get back in mid-August I will be able to report on the fix again.

Bob

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I imagine generically the "transfer assemble" and the "transfer case" are interchangeable-

In reviewing the Service Manual, there is no 'case'.

The receipt/invoice that lists the part numbers, etc cannot be altered by the dealer- the data base puts in the Acura description for whatever part is listed. Work Orders are whatever the dealer writes up- you get the WO when you leave it, you should get the compelte invoce upon completion.

I'd not be overly concerned at all- I just have an interest in what failed-

Good luck on the trip... sounds like it will be a blast. (Where will you get that 3750 mile service in the middle? :) )

Ard

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi all,

Ardvarkus is correct, there is no part called a "Transfer Case", the term used in the Service Manual is "Transfer Assembly". The term "Transfer Mechanism Assembly" is also used in the Service manual to describe the same part. The Transfer mechanism assembly is on the rear side of the transmission, beside the differential. Looks like you can get a lot of information on the transmission out of the computer using an OBD II scan tool or a Honda PGM Testor. Did the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) ever come on, along with the D5 light flashing? This indicates that the PCM has set a code and you can get those codes with an ODB II scan tool and/or a Honda PGM Tester. Another way is to jump DLC (Diagnostic link connector located behind drivers dashboard lower cover) terminal 1 and terminal 12 , then turn the ignition switch on and observe the D5 light. The blinking indicates there is a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code), all this is in the Acura Service Manual on page on 14-4. Great book and you can order it from www.helminc.com for $67 and shipping. More information than you cared to know about your MDX. The more you know, the better prepared you are to talk to the service people. They will realize they can not BS you, for that $67 is cheap education. Just my thoughts!! If you want to read up on OBD II, a great site is www.obdii.com . More information than anyone wants to know about OBD II.

Greg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Gregc said:
If you want to read up on OBD II, a great site is www.obdii.com . More information than anyone wants to know about OBD II.

Greg
Greg - Absolutely- of course if you DIY, you really need to- but just to know the dealer is not yanking your....wallet- after the warranty is done.

I still don't see how the cracked case (or whatever) made the sound described... laserman never did confirm is was the 'assembly', just that the work order said 'case'.

One needs to look at the PARTS REPLACED and the LABOR CODES to know what was REALLY DONE. Not the "consumer friendly" text the service writer gets to 'spin'. .. ("We fixed the owie in the car's motor")

:D

Ard

PS I'd agree with the diagnosis- hard to get acura corporate to throw in big $$$ parts without verification.

PPS- Guys with the Service Manual- what do you think about the 'transfer gear tooth contact, transfer gear backlash and tapered roller bearing starting torque' procedures? States that this is REQUIRED if new oil seal and oring is used. If I saw a new oring or oilseal on my invoice, I'd want to see the labor codes and MEASUREMENTs for the above items.... Would you trust your dealer with this?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Ard,

Maybe the misalignment you suggested may happen with a cracked mounting surface would result in noise. I don't know what kind of noise, hissing seems strange. But the noise could sound different from within the cabin vs. outside the vehicle.

The O ring and oil seal:
It would depend if Acura says, if there is any problem leak or otherwise, with the transfer assembly, R&R it.
IF they would expect the tech to repair leaks due to defective seals, then I sure would expect them to follow the procedure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actual dealer repair number

OK guys & gals,

What does this mean... from the Dealer Repair order...

J# 10ACZ Engine Techs(s):939
Customer reports noise starting at 25MPH that soulds like metal on metal. Like metal on metal

Internal fault in transfer assembly, replaced transfer assembly.

qty1 part number 29000-PGH-010 Price: Warranty

They also replaced the transmission fluid in the next item on the repair order.

(Actually this soundwas RPM dependent and sounded the same with the hood up as in the car.)

They did the repair on 2 working days with no pushing from me. The MDX has been on the road for a couple of weeks and the sound is gone. The MDX has 37,000 road miles on it and it about to get 6,600 more on a cross country trip :)

Bob laserman Murrow

·
Registered
117 Posts
From looking at the procedures for overhauling the Transfer Assembly, I can see why a tech would R&R the whole thing. From pages 14-250 to 14-268 it has a lot of checking of the transfer gear backlash. Including needing a heat gun to heat up the cover to 212 degrees F or 100 C and the need of several Acura part number tools. Plus the need for various shims in stock to set the backlash properly. Acura may have figured the best method would be R&R the assembly, definately much less time. The manual does state that some Bearings are not press fitted and can be removed without heating the housing, very confusing. Good thing it happened under warranty!!!! No less than 12 Acura specialty tools to overhaul the Transfer Assembly! Not to mention a selection of Shims. Not something you would want to try at home.

Greg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2002 mdx (15,000 miles) last week. Dealer told me the 'transfer case' need to be replaced and it's on back order. Will let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
dvngo2001 said:
Same thing happened to my 2002 mdx (15,000 miles) last week. Dealer told me the 'transfer case' need to be replaced and it's on back order. Will let you all know how it goes.
dvngo2001,

I look forward to reading your follow up.

Antioch huh? I lived out there about 10 years ago, right of of Hillcrest. not far from Lone Tree. Are you near there?

Is Concord Acura performing your work?

·
Registered
20 Posts
mdxxxx,

i lived right off lone tree and dallas ranch. Sunnyvale Acura's doing the work since i'm working in sunnyvale. it took the mechanic 2 days to troubleshoot the problem. will keep you post

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
dvngo2001 said:
mdxxxx,

i lived right off lone tree and dallas ranch. Sunnyvale Acura's doing the work since i'm working in sunnyvale. it took the mechanic 2 days to troubleshoot the problem. will keep you post
Ok, wow, that commute reminds me of what I went through years ago. At least you have the comfort of an X, while you wade through the congested traffic of highway 4, 680, and maybe 880.

Be sure to stay tuned for the next Bay Area meet! :4: :)

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Re: Actual dealer repair number

laserman said:
OK guys & gals,

What does this mean... from the Dealer Repair order...

J# 10ACZ Engine Techs(s):939
If you took it to your closest dealer there in Los Gatos. I can tell you one thing...they had someone new do the work on your vehicle. Are you sure it didn't say 935? That tech is easily the most experienced with MDX transmissions.

Rob

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
I was referring to laserman's post since it says his location is Los Gatos.

And the best transmission tech is 995. I don't know who 935 is, but after six weeks or so of not being around, you gotta understand that I might not remember everyones' employee number all that well.

Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK, dealer replaced the transfer case and found noise was still present. They then also replaced the drive shaft and now noise is gone. Hopefully noise won't come back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts