Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 mdx and im confused as to whats going on, first i thought it was my subframe or some loose suspension but sometimes it clunks going into 2nd or even taking off too fast...other times it will shift fine, maybe its idling funny making it clunk into gear?

but when its 15 degrees almost freezing out it shifts great....im thinking the fluid is getting thick helping it <--- duhh

any ideas here...?

160k miles second owner, never changed trans filter or fluid.... <----probably need too duhh

if a gear is chipped will it ALWAYS clunk? because it doesnt always...and its almost like i can tell when its about to shift funny so il let off the gas to prevent it from clunking because it wants to shift as SOON as im about to let off the gas

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Motor mounts should be inspected. They might behave differently warm and cold.

See attached chart from Acura shop manual. Mostly doesn't look to be repairable w/o overhaul.

You can drive a car a long time w/ a faulty 1-2 shift if you learn to ease up on throttle at shift. Not very elegant but workable.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Do a few transmission fluid drain and refills. A great idea even if it doesn't fix anything with your current symptoms (if the problem is a bad motor/transmission mount, which is very likely).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts