Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to a local Target in Hackensack NJ the check engine light came on and the VTM-4 light as well. I quickly noticed the MDX became a bit jerky - like it was switching from FWD to AWD and back. At the parking lot the MDX reved up and down constantly. I was able to dirve it home and had a flat bed pick it up in the AM and took it to Ramsey. That was Friday.

So far I have no idea what the hell happened or what is going on. Their hand held computor is not working so they cannot make a diagnosis. Something like that.

So I am driving thier Honda Accord for the time being.

This sucks.

Anyone else have or had this problem?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry to hear that....

Keep us posted! Good luck with it. Hope it is nothing terribly serious. I know the scary feeling.....just put our Chevy Blazer in for a problem and we're now up to $1000 :( ! Oh well, should have been with Honda/Acura to begin with!:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The symptom

The only other story that is VERY similar to what you are experiencing is that my friend was using his VTM-4 on 1st and 2nd gear to drive on the streets and constantly engaging the VTM-4 on areas in those gears where it is not needed.

That resulted in the same problematic characteristic of what you are currentle experiencing.:eek:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My vote will be catastrophic VTM4 failure- most likely the controller, but perhaps the drive/electromagnetic clutches themselves. The engine light might be due to the VTM4 not communicating with the engine PCM. The symptoms are indeed like the VTM4 being locked on but in a high-traction setting.

To note, I would NEVER drive a vehicle with those symptoms- pull it over, call the flatbed. If it was just the controller, and you drove it with clutches locked, it might have damaged the VTM4- and Acura will likely not be replacing that if indeed the problem was the brain. If this is a possibility, ask that they drain the VTM4 fluid to check it's condition.

No other reports like this here, to my remembering, but this is a very small slice of the MDX world....

Ard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. Hope the dealer fixes it right the first time. Sure sounds like a VTM4/controller problem.

What year is your MDX and how many miles on it?

Hope all works out for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2001 Silver Touring with minor extras - wood grain items. I have 22,000 miles on it after 1 1/2 years and I love this automobile.

I am anxious to find out what it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
strange noises underneath

The cluncking noise underneath just can't be normal. I expect the problem to be fixed in 2003 models?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
gman2-

Hey, what's up with your 'x?

Hopefully it is fixed- let us know what the problem was.. might help someone else.

Thanks

Ard

·
Registered
10 Posts
The noises are like a stretched cable combined with clunking (hard to describe), the dealer says it's evident in all X's including the 02, some are worse than others. When you first start out in the morning, have your window down while turning slowly...that's usually when I hear it. I checked another 02 X which had the noise but not as bad as mine.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
KSM said:
The noises are like a stretched cable combined with clunking (hard to describe), the dealer says it's evident in all X's including the 02, some are worse than others. When you first start out in the morning, have your window down while turning slowly...that's usually when I hear it. I checked another 02 X which had the noise but not as bad as mine.
Check out this:

http://www.acuramdx.org/images/thud.pdf

Sounds like symptom #1. I had it. Although it wasn't just starting out. Does it do it only when starting out in the morn? Could it be ABS-related?

Print out the TSB and ask the dealer to review..

Good luck

Ard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out, my VIN is part of the X's that could be affected. As far as hearing the noises when the the X is cold and just starting out, it is more apparent in the morning but I have experienced it later on the road as well.

I have metioned this on several occasions and the dealer has consistently told me that "it's the way it is". They are obviously wrong! There is a growing list of problems on the first year 01 X that is fixed for 02. More problems than I anticipated for a first year Japanese vehicle, maybe the X's being made in the USA has something to do with it. I have spoken to many 01 X owners and they don't have any problems at all? Either they oblivious to some of the problems or they are the lucky ones.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
K-

You need to understand that this forum tends to magnify issues- so many people posting so many problems- when in atual fact most owners have never heard of acuramdx.org...

Some of the problems with the X in 01 are indeed assembly related: one of the thuds is imporper torquing of the front end bolts, some of the noises in the headliner were related to motor assembly, etc.

Still, we can blame it on the Canadians- not good ol USA! ;)

I had a first year infiniti Q45- lots of issues- but you'd just come in for an oil change, they'd give you a loaner car, and when you came to get it they'd tell you they replaced the seat drive, replaced the AC compressor, and replaced the front oil seal, 'because the factory had concerns'. Truly seamless customer service. But that was Infinit in the early 90s- not acura.

Sounds like you might have a dealer issue?

Ard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts