Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK to get a little background on this, read the following thread:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2741&highlight=clicking+noise

basically I had this clicking noise when I shifted the car into reverse and back into Park that was very loud, at least loud enough to make me concerned... when I brought the car in for the 7500 mile service 2 weeks ago(BTW, got MDX July 6th 2001) i asked the service guys to investigate.... they claimed it was something with the suspension and they needed to retorque something... they do it under warranty, but MDX still makes noise after a couple of days.... i bring it back in this morning, service guys can hear noise but cant identify what causes it and have to call the acura engineers to get more info.... after an hour and a half, they come to me saying that they need to replace the entire transmission!!!!!! i guess it was easier to get a brand new one in there than find out what was causing the noise....

i raise this because we had a poll taken a lil while ago and i was not the only one who heard this noise from their MDX... my concern is that this could be a manufacturing flaw and that more owners also need this checked out.... my advice is that if you hear a loud enough "clank" or "click" when shifting is to take it in immediately and get it looked at.... when i get home ill take a pic of the service invoice for the first fix so you can print it and show it to your service guys.... it has the codes and everything for what they tried the first time....

i dont know if everyone needs a new tranny but the fact that i have to get one and others have experienced the same noise should raise some eyebrows..... ill keep you guys posted.....

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also my dealer needs to order the tranny which could take 2 weeks..... ill keep updating... anyone else who brings their X in should also post updates.....

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is pic of the invoice from my first trip to dealer...

dakster, my dealer says the fix will take a day day and a half at most so hopefully I wont have to deal with the lemon law... long term, im leasing this for another 28 months so as long as it lasts me for that period im fine with it... id have a completely different reaction if i was keeping the car....

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here is invoice

here is invoice... for some reason didnt come up before...

Attachments

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lastest update

i had to bring in car yesterday because the district manager for acura wanted to verify that a transmission is actually needed... of course, they claim its not, that the sound is present in other MDX's and its normal operation..... i just heard this crap over the phone and im going in at lunch to pick up vehicle...

i already told service guy that i want to hear this noise in other mdx's on their lot.... i suspect the DM didnt wanna pay for the transmission and is just smearing the BS on me.... regardless of what happens, im getting this entire episode in writing so that when the tranny falls out the car in 2 years my a$$ is covered...

ill post a final update after lunch....

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
final update

went to dealer and picked up mdx.... before leaving i had them show me the same sound in a brand new MDX on their lot and it does make the same noise.... i guess it is normal operation but it doesnt inspire confidence....

sorry to get anyone worried about their car it just didnt sound normal to me... it still doesnt but if thats how the car is made so be it....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.