Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just want to show you how the tranny fluid looks like after 1 yr, around 13k miles, I am really glad that I changed it, I drained out around 3.5 qts, just came back from the test drive, it shifts awesome!!
BTW, my MID didn't asks me to change tranny fluid.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
897 Posts
Would be helpful if you added your year and model to your signature. Is that a 6 speed or 9 or 10? Is that the first 13K, or is it 13K from the last change? If 2nd or 3rd change have you only done single drain/fills before?

Personally I do a 3X drain/fill every 30K to get roughly 80% new fluid where as a single drain/fill only changes about 40%.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right.
So I got a 15 MDX tech, last time the dealer flushed it around 1 yr ago, it was around 30k miles, now it is around 43k, the color of the tranny is already indicating "Change me change me!" I think I will stick with my own schedule, drain and fill every year, I don't want to wait until 30k then flush it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Reason it looks suspect after 13k is that you had a percentage of the old fluid still present when you changed the transmission fluid. I asked my dealership about a flush and they said all they do it drain it and replace, they said flushing isn't really done anymore at Honda??? So I do my own now it's to easy to do.

I'm still doing all my vehicles at the 30K interval, but a Honda master mechanic recently told me to change it every 30K then drive for a couple of weeks then change it again to make sure the percentage of new tranny fluid was high enough. I got a little wide eyed when he told me and he said something like "change it like I recommend if you are going to be keeping the vehicle for a while otherwise we will be fixing your transmission" (paraphrase of course). I keep all my vehicles for "a while" so I don't know about the change then drive then change again thing, but I will continue to change every 30K. Still not much info out about the 9-speed trans problems but I am getting ready to change it for the 1st time in a few months. We'll see how the oil looks at 30k, it will be it's 1st tranny fluid change.

Also the easiest way to change tranny fluid/oil is to just drain or pour it into a clear container (milk jug) and then put the same amount back in, then it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold you've added back the same as you took out. That is my trick for doing it fast and easy. you can always add a slight bit more bcs you will lose some to vaporization and leakage, etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reason it looks suspect after 13k is that you had a percentage of the old fluid still present when you changed the transmission fluid. I asked my dealership about a flush and they said all they do it drain it and replace, they said flushing isn't really done anymore at Honda??? So I do my own now it's to easy to do.

I'm still doing all my vehicles at the 30K interval, but a Honda master mechanic recently told me to change it every 30K then drive for a couple of weeks then change it again to make sure the percentage of new tranny fluid was high enough. I got a little wide eyed when he told me and he said something like "change it like I recommend if you are going to be keeping the vehicle for a while otherwise we will be fixing your transmission" (paraphrase of course). I keep all my vehicles for "a while" so I don't know about the change then drive then change again thing, but I will continue to change every 30K. Still not much info out about the 9-speed trans problems but I am getting ready to change it for the 1st time in a few months. We'll see how the oil looks at 30k, it will be it's 1st tranny fluid change.

Also the easiest way to change tranny fluid/oil is to just drain or pour it into a clear container (milk jug) and then put the same amount back in, then it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold you've added back the same as you took out. That is my trick for doing it fast and easy. you can always add a slight bit more bcs you will lose some to vaporization and leakage, etc.
Ya, I did that trick too, I prepared 2 empty windshield fluid container, I pour the old fluid in, and put the new fluid in the second container.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My MID already has a126 service for diff fluid change , what code is for trans flush .
I personally don’t wait for the mid for fluid changes.

I change tranny fluid every other oil change
I change oil about every 6k miles
I change rear differential every 3rd oil change and rotate tires

I change rear differential before every winter (reguardless of miles) and after every winter. I do a lot of mountain driving on snowy roads.

I change the transfer case oil twice a year in the spring and fall when I do a tranny fluid change.

I turkey baster out the power steering fluid every two years

I bleed the brakes every 3 years or when I need new calipers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts