Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still haven't heard from any other owners regarding how they've solved the problem of towing a trailer with brakes (i.e. requiring a 5-pin electrical connector) with the standard "Acura" brand 4-pin electrical connector. It seems to me that my only option is to yank the Acura 4-pin connector out and have a "5 flat" connector installed. The problem is that my local Acura dealer has told me that this "modification" could void the Acura powertrain warranty! When asked how I can buy an Acura 5-flat connector, the dealer told me that none exists. so my choices are: 1) don't tow my boat with my MDX, or 2) convert the 4-pin connector to a 5-pin adapter and risk voiding my powertrain warranty. I can't be the first one to experience this problem. What have you other owners done to resolve this?:(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just spoke with the Acura Customer Service people. The person I spoke with was very polite, and explained that switching from the "Acura" 4-pin connector to a non-Acura 5-pin connector wouldn't in itself void the powertrain warranty. He did state, however, that if the 5-pin connector was the cause of a mechanical problem (either by poor design or poor installation), the vehicle repair costs would not be covered under the warranty. This seems reasonable to me. He also appologized for the fact that Acura does not currently have any "approved" 5-pin connectors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm getting my hitch installed this week-end at my Acura dealer. I asked my dealer about this connection stuff. He said to have the <u>trailer</u> dealer's hitch man swap the connector to make sure it works correctly with the trailer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No mention of any warrenty problem. Remember it was the Acura dealer who told me to have the trailer hitch man make the swap.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I know this thread has been dormant for awhile, but it may affect me now. We are looking to get a larger boat, and the trailer has surge brakes. We too need the 5th connector on the wiring harness to hook up the reverse lockout. In my electrical t/s manual, it shows that Acura has wired the backup lights into the gray plug that connects to the converter. It is in fact there (it is the GRN/BLK wire, BTW). However, the other half of that gray plug does not have the pin installed. It seems that they at least were thinking far enough ahead to get the wires in a convenient spot. I don't like the thought of having to cut up the hitch side of the converter wiring harness and splice in a 5-flat connector. I will be checking around to see if any of the hitch shops have made any headway on this over the last year. I'll post what I find out. :confused: :3:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
mshrockford said:
I. The problem is that my local Acura dealer has told me that this "modification" could void the Acura powertrain warranty! When asked how I can buy an Acura 5-flat connector, the dealer told me that none exists. :(
Interestingly, Acura "requires" the use of brakes in any trailer with a gross weight greater than 1000 pounds. That has to be the dumbest response of a dealer yet.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
:mad: No luck with a ready made 5-flat connector. I spent 2 hours last night fishing the new harness through the existing Acura tubing, grommets, etc., and got the new one hooked up. I have only one area where I'm not completely happy; I had to use a wire tie to attach the plug to the hitch because the metal clamp is too small to hold the wider plug. I looked for the Draw-Tite plug box at my local hitch shop, but they'd have to order one. I may see how the wire tie band-aid works, since I'll have to do major surgery to install it after the fact. Oh well, what we'll go through to own a boat. I've got a good friend who works as a mechanic for a major airline, and I'm going to see if he knows someone in their sheet metal shop who may be able to fabricate something similar to the stock clamp. We take delivery of the new boat Thursday. Yea. I'll post some pictures of the rig and any info concerning towing or the wiring hookup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two years ago, I went with a 4 to 6 pin adapter from an auto parts store. My trailer required separate ground, so I need 6 pins.
I figured that since Acura sold me the MDX rated to tow 4500 lbs (boat) plus the towing package and electric brakes are mandatory on a trailer of that weight, Acura must have either lied about the 4500 lbs, or must waive any exceptions or limitations on electric trailer brakes or wiring. They can't have it both ways.
By the way, the independent mechanic couldn't figure out the trailer wiring (he was trying to squeeze 7 pins into 6 and that doesn't work) and of course Acura wouldn't do the job, so I had to do my own wiring diagram and give it to the mechanic. It was also cheaper to remove the old 5 conductor lights from the trailer and put on a new 4 pin set complete with wiring harness.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
DaveChicago said:

I figured that since Acura sold me the MDX rated to tow 4500 lbs (boat) plus the towing package and electric brakes are mandatory on a trailer of that weight, Acura must have either lied about the 4500 lbs, or must waive any exceptions or limitations on electric trailer brakes or wiring. They can't have it both ways.
Sure they can. Acura says in "The Manual" that pulling any trailer over 1,000 pounds requires brakes on the trailer. They don't say "electric" brakes. They could easily say that you should have put on hydraulic surge brakes, which don't require electrical signals from the brake system. Or, if you really want electric brakes, it would be on your nickel to get it wired. Silly, but true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts