Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that has had a Trailer Hitch installed that wasn't already installed when you bought your MDX, what kind did you buy? Did you buy the Acura hitch and have it installed by a dealer, or, a Uhaul hitch, or ??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I purchased a Curt hitch from HitchDepotUSA and installed it myself. I only plan on using it for a 2000 pound trailer to haul junk and possibly a garden tractor occasionally. It was relatively easy to install, and does the job well.

Purchase the Plug and play 4 pin connector and the wiring is done in minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hitch

Just installed a Reese hitch on my 2011. Fit perfectly. Installed myself...one man job. Only had to remove one muffler hanger and heat shield. Came with a nice chrome trim piece that matched the chrome in the rear. Very low profile. Costs a little more than the Curt, but the quality and fitment are excellent. Bought on Amazon. Read the reviews. You won't be disappointed.

Now if your hauling a large trailer and need lights and brakes, then wiring may be more complicated and personally I'd get the factory kit. You can get that from aftermarket too, it just does not look as clean with a wire coming out your rear hatch. I only do light towing occasionally. My main use is for a 5-bike rack or a hitch platform for coolers/luggage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased the Acura tow package and had dealer install since I was getting a sweet deal on parts and labor.

My biggest thing was whether I'd be able to fit a full size spare with the tow package installed. I had read that some of the aftermarkets are tight with the donut spare and would not be able to fit a full size. I have yet to get the full size spare and put in, but am hoping what I've read on this forum holds true...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
My thinking was I needed a full size spare and lights, indicators, and a brake controller wiring harness. I bought the OEM hitch and wiring harness which included the brake controller wiring assembly.

ON a 2008 the bolt holes were rusted and needed to be reamed out. The heat shields came off easily and the mufflers lower enough to make things convenient. Ideally it needs two people to align the hitch and get the first couple of bolts in. A non OEM rated to 3000 pounds might be lighter and easier to install. My trailer will run 2800 pounds plus, having had hairy towing incidents in my youth I need a brake controller such as Prodigy or similar to lower my anxiety level.

The instructions that came with the OEM kits were easy to follow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thinking was I needed a full size spare and lights, indicators, and a brake controller wiring harness. I bought the OEM hitch and wiring harness which included the brake controller wiring assembly.

ON a 2008 the bolt holes were rusted and needed to be reamed out. The heat shields came off easily and the mufflers lower enough to make things convenient. Ideally it needs two people to align the hitch and get the first couple of bolts in. A non OEM rated to 3000 pounds might be lighter and easier to install. My trailer will run 2800 pounds plus, having had hairy towing incidents in my youth I need a brake controller such as Prodigy or similar to lower my anxiety level.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
18 Posts

How much did you pay for the OEM? wiring harness? Where did you find the best place to buy?

Does anyone know when it is done by acura do they put a different bumper plate on the back? One of the used sales guys for acura was saying that to us when we were looking at one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hitch 2008 MDX

I bought it online at Bernardi Acura Boston. I dealt with a Sean Mahoney there who was friendly and helpful.
Hitch $290
Wiring harness $141
Bumper trim kit $86
Shipping approx $60

Some people do a cut out on the existing bumper trim, I figured the hitch bumper trim looks neater and I would sell the one I took off.

I live in Toronto Canada, Acura and Honda USA do not ship parts/accessories to Canada so I have things shipped to a warehouse in Niagara Falls, NY.

Bernardi may not have the best prices now, there is a Tim on here who is quite competitive.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had the OEM done when I purchased the car because of convenience and warranty coverage. I don't have any plans I tow anything though, just have a bike rack, so I would have been fine with most aftermarkets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts