Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So I am planning a trip with a travel trailer my parents recently acquired and I just found out I am not all set. I bought the Hitch and wiring but my mom just told me it is the round 7 pin and that I will need a brake controller. We are leaving in less than 2 weeks so I gotta get with the program.

This is the wiring I purchased - Amazon.com: CURT 56038 T-Connector: Automotive

Can someone point me in the direction of where to get the 7 pin? Is that a whole different harness or is it something that is added to what I already have?

As far as the brake controller, from reading on here, I believe this is the one I need http://amzn.com/B007O5GYVI Anyone able to confirm? From the picture there is 2 plugs. So one plugs into the vehicle and the other plugs into what? The 7 pin trailer harness?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
30 Posts
7 Pin is what is now the standard, normally you are using a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter when needed...I'll wait for some one to chime in but you may not have the proper harness to work with the brakes.

The brake controller ties into the harness...honestly the easiest thing for you to do would be to cough up the big bucks for a wireless kit then just get a 4pin to 7 pin adapter.
The wireless brake controller will install on the trailer its self though..something you may not want to get into if its not yours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trailer is not mine so I am trying to not over invest in this setup. My parents just inherited the trailer from an old boss of my moms so we are not too familiar with it.

Seems like we have a plug and play solution for the MDX but my moms Dodge Ram does not. What I am now hoping is that the controller I get can be adapted to her vehicle since it will see the most use and I live 5 hours from my parents.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If your current plan falls short...take your parts & pieces to an RV (recreational vehicle) shop and they'll sell you the adapter or missing piece for your puzzle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed the OEM trailer hitch and harness and from what I understand the OEM harness has a brake controller built in. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts