Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need some suggestions. Installing a trailer brake controller and curious to see where others have installed it. Pictures would be great. 16 tech package

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't have rear entertainment, so I thought this would be a great place for my P3 brake controller.
it's out of the way, and barely noticeable.
Mounting was a bit tricky though.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Controller should be compatible with ABS. Once installed it needs fine adjustment with the intended load hitcehd properly..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm looking for a good place to mount my brake controller too. (in my 2015 X)

More pics/ideas would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
I actually just attach it to my right leg with a Velcro/stretch band. I like having it at my fingertips so I can apply it manually when the trailer starts to sway. I unplug it and stow it in the rear floor compartment when I am not using it.

My trailer starts to sway above 65MPH at times because of the extra weight/length of carrying a motorcycle on the back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bluepill, do you use a timed controller or inertia? If it's inertia based I'm wondering if having it mounted to your leg might throw it off.

I actually just attach it to my right leg with a Velcro/stretch band. I like having it at my fingertips so I can apply it manually when the trailer starts to sway. I unplug it and stow it in the rear floor compartment when I am not using it.

My trailer starts to sway above 65MPH at times because of the extra weight/length of carrying a motorcycle on the back.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a neat solution. No screws required. I made a bracket, and have extra ones available. Will take photos and post soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Here are the promised photos:

BrakeFinish1.jpg
This is the finished result.

BrakeFinish2.jpg
It is within easy reach for using the manual brake lever.

RemoveTrim.jpg
Removing the small wood & aluminum trim piece.

RawMetal.jpg
The aluminum bracket I had made.

TrimOff.jpg
The modified bracket with the brake controller mounted, ready for trim replacement. The trim holds the top of the bracket firmly. To remove just pry off the trim and lift off the bracket - then no sign it was there.

This is a Tekonsha P3 controller. Make certain your controller can be mounted up to 45 degrees off horizontal. I used the included sheet metal screws to attach the controller bracket, then cut off the protruding points on the back. Some foam pieces need to be mounted to the lower back of the bracket to provide support.

I have 6 of the brackets for sale - I had extras made to use up the minimum charge from the metal fabricator. They need the edges smoothed and the top cut around the trim connections. $15 each plus shipping. PM me if you want one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake controller bracket

Here are the promised photos:

View attachment 82634
This is the finished result.

View attachment 82642
It is within easy reach for using the manual brake lever.

View attachment 82650
Removing the small wood & aluminum trim piece.

View attachment 82658
The aluminum bracket I had made.

View attachment 82666
The modified bracket with the brake controller mounted, ready for trim replacement. The trim holds the top of the bracket firmly. To remove just pry off the trim and lift off the bracket - then no sign it was there.

This is a Tekonsha P3 controller. Make certain your controller can be mounted up to 45 degrees off horizontal. I used the included sheet metal screws to attach the controller bracket, then cut off the protruding points on the back. Some foam pieces need to be mounted to the lower back of the bracket to provide support.

I have 6 of the brackets for sale - I had extras made to use up the minimum charge from the metal fabricator. They need the edges smoothed and the top cut around the trim connections. $15 each plus shipping. PM me if you want one.

Do you still have any brackets available?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts