Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I just picked up my new 2018 MDX with manufacturer hitch already installed. I need to install a trailer break controller.
Is it an easy job like plugging a connector under the dashboard? I tried to find any videos on youtube but I can’t find any for 2018 mdx? Anyone done this themselve? Local place wants to charge me 600$ for the job. Is this a good price?

Thanks,
Martin

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you have the OEM hitch w/trailer wiring then it should have included the pigtail for the brake controller. Check the glove box or the storage compartment in the cargo area, as the dealer techs often just throw them in there. If you don't find it, go back to the dealer, because they owe you a pigtail -- it comes with the OEM trailer wiring kit.

Once you have the pigtail, you buy the trailer brake controller of your choosing -- I like the Tekonsha P3 -- and then splice the brake controller harness to the Acura pigtail. Then it just plugs in under the dash.

It's about as easy an installation as one could hope. $600 is ABSURD!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the pigtail cables as you mentioned. Ordering the Tekonsha p3 online. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found the pigtail cables as you mentioned. Ordering the Tekonsha p3 online. Thanks for your help.

Did you end up completing this job? I have the pig tail just don’t know how to connect the brake controller looking for a video or something to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
Badlarry33
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing