Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Trading up from Forester XT Touring

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  skinny2 
#1 ·
Seriously considering trading up from my current 2014 Subaru Forester XT Touring to an MDX.

Here's the Forester:

It's a good car for what it is, and it's been good to me for the last year, but the driver's seat is the most uncomfortable thing I think I've ever sat in.

Never seriously considered the importance of researching driver's seat comfort, but I also never thought it was possible to create a seat this uncomfortable. One just cannot seem to get the adjustments to the right spot. It's as if the seat is mounted at a bad angle, or the seat itself is just built wrong. The whole thing just results in me having lower back pain on any trip longer than 30 minutes, which is why I didn't catch this during the test drive. Lots of other Forester drivers have since confirmed the same thing, but I'd already purchased the car at that point.

I've also thoroughly looked into whether this is a recalled issue or can be fixed in some way. Turns out this is known to be normal for this generation of Foresters, and it isn't an "issue" at all, but rather just that the seat isn't comfortable for everyone. Some folks have altered the padding in the seat, some have gotten in there and changed the lumbar adjustment mechanics, and a few even went to the extreme and completely remounted the driver's seat using spacers or longer bolts to permanently change the angle. I don't think it's as simple as adding or removing padding, I've unsuccessfully tried using lower back cushions while driving, and I'm not willing to screw with the seat mountings.

I think I'm just done messing with it. I know I'll lose money (since I bought the Forester new), but I've been considering trading up to an MDX, probably used from around 2008 or so, as that would fit my budget. The only reason I ever looked into the Forester was because the current generation CR-V is ugly, but otherwise I've always been a Honda guy. I'm finally looking beyond the CR-V to Acura, and I have yet to find any reports of driver's seat discomfort for the MDX.

Anyone have thoughts or similar experiences with driver's seat comfort/discomfort in a Forester or MDX?

See less See more
#4 ·
Maybe this thread can assist you too, I commented there.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-2007-2013-acura-mdx/94250-09-mdx-sport-ent-worth.html

My post #16 should answer your question, taken you will have to look each one up, if you don't know what they are, but that would be a good thing.
Also check the wikipedia link too....there you can read about what the 2010+ added, that I missed to mention too.

Those 2010+ features mentioned, on top of what is already included with 2007-09, is liked...but still tends to lack behind other brands, but some of us still enjoy our X's over choosing other brands.

#6 ·
I don't find the Forester comfortable either, but I'm a fairly big dude and generally don't like small cars. The big difference is the width...the MDX is about 8" wider which is huge in car dimensions. It's also about a foot longer. And half a ton heavier. So it drives completely different, although acceleration is similar....if you're drag-racing anyway. MPG is going to be a pretty big decrease for you.

The MDX seats are pretty comfortable. Hardly the most comfy vehicle I've owned but they're not bad. Seat comfort is very subjective so I always make sure I get a long test drive in before buying. I would suggest the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.