Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. Have any of the new owners of MDX Type S vehicles traded in a regular 2022 MDX to get the vehicle? If so what was your trade in value?

I’m probably trying to wait around to see if some of the White Exterior with Orchid Interior MDX Type S Advance models begin to show up. There are quite a few MDX Type S models that are available from several dealers in my area.

I’m guessing I could get close to what I paid for the vehicle when I purchased it new back in February of 2021 And since I have been paying more than the allocated payment I would actually have a decent profit from the trade in.

The big question would be is it really worth it to trade from a regular advance to the Type S Advance. I know “worth” is subjective. I see so many people here trashing the MDX for not have like 600 horsepower and sprouting wings when it’s driven. To me the 355 will probably be plenty more power than I will ever need or use. Honestly I’m more intrigued about the air suspension, massaging seats and the 25 ELS speaker system than the performance since I have never been a big fan of turbo engines.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Normally it would be really stupid to trade in a year old car. But these are not normal times. Only you can determine if it’s worth it. It’s $10k more for air suspension, massaging seats and the audio system and lousy mileage for power you probably won’t use. You may not have profit, but you may have equity.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just curious. Have any of the new owners of MDX Type S vehicles traded in a regular 2022 MDX to get the vehicle? If so what was your trade in value?

I’m probably trying to wait around to see if some of the White Exterior with Orchid Interior MDX Type S Advance models begin to show up. There are quite a few MDX Type S models that are available from several dealers in my area.

I’m guessing I could get close to what I paid for the vehicle when I purchased it new back in February of 2021 And since I have been paying more than the allocated payment I would actually have a decent profit from the trade in.

The big question would be is it really worth it to trade from a regular advance to the Type S Advance. I know “worth” is subjective. I see so many people here trashing the MDX for not have like 600 horsepower and sprouting wings when it’s driven. To me the 355 will probably be plenty more power than I will ever need or use. Honestly I’m more intrigued about the air suspension, massaging seats and the 25 ELS speaker system than the performance since I have never been a big fan of turbo engines.
You've commented on my post about my test drive in the Type S, re-read what I typed. Me having an Advance I would not spend the extra for the Type S. The power is not that noticeable unless you're always flooring it or have it rev high all the time in sport mode. I got a trade in value of what I paid for the car but that's because I have a good relationship with the owner. And for you "paying more than the allocated payment" doesn't mean you'll get a "decent profit", your just getting money that you already paid earlier. Your money, your choice but to me it's not worth it after driving it. Have you even test driven it yet? Take a step back and look, tell yourself is that car worth $74,000 before any dealer markup, fees, added bs?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bet you’d get 50k or so for it. Doubt you’d get sticker back on it though.
it would definitely be more than 50K. I’ve seen some 2022 MDX’s going for 60K plus with anywhere from 8-12000 miles. I’m sure they would try to push 50K and turnaround and sell it for 60K + but there would be no way I would take anything less that 55-58K.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
There's at least one other poster here, Susy or something like that, who I think stated getting a trade-in value of what she paid for the 2022 non 'S' towards an 'S'. I don't know what the actual price for the 'S' was though.

That's the thing - when many dealers are requiring significantly above MSRP for the 'S' the 'straight trade' might be somewhat bent - i.e. making it seem like you're getting full value on the trade-in but them up-pricing the 'S' on the other side. That's always been a problem with trade-ins - the dealer figures out if you're the type looking for a high trade-in value so they give you that at the expense of a good price on the new vehicle, or vice versa where they think you want a good price on the new one so they give you that but at the expense of a lower price on the trade-in. No matter what though, the dealer has the actual numbers and they'll make sure they'll make a profit, as they should, and sometimes a larger profit which is a situation I like to avoid. The person trading in is going to pay one way or the other.

I've never actually traded in a car, the offers were always too low. I know they were too low because I only pay cash for cars so the deal is more transparent than with financing or leasing. I ended up selling the vehicles myself or donating except for one time I had a used car dealer sell a vehicle under consignment and that actually worked out well - I got the full blue book value for it rather than a trade-in price (after rejecting a low trade-in offer at the dealer where I bought a new car).

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's the thing - when many dealers are requiring significantly above MSRP for the 'S' the 'straight trade' might be somewhat bent - i.e. making it seem like you're getting full value on the trade-in but them up-pricing the 'S' on the other side. That's always been a problem with trade-ins - the dealer figures out if you're the type looking for a high trade-in value so they give you that at the expense of a good price on the new vehicle, or vice versa where they think you want a good price on the new one so they give you that but at the expense of a lower price on the trade-in. No matter what though, the dealer has the actual numbers and they'll make sure they'll make a profit, as they should, and sometimes a larger profit which is a situation I like to avoid. The person trading in is going to pay one way or the other.

I've never actually traded in a car, the offers were always too low. I know they were too low because I only pay cash for cars so the deal is more transparent than with financing or leasing. I ended up selling the vehicles myself or donating except for one time I had a used car dealer sell a vehicle under consignment and that actually worked out well - I got the full blue book value for it rather than a trade-in price (after rejecting a low trade-in offer at the dealer where I bought a new car).
I agree with the above. You can do ok in a trade but you have to do your research and know the value of your vehicle. In TN and many states a trade will reduce your sales tax on the new vehicle so if you know the value of your vehicle you have to consider the "hassle factor" for selling the vehicle yourself. I have done both. Also, negotiate (as best you can in today's world) a firm purchase price before even discussing the possible trade.

Re what a dealer will give you on trade... back in the 90s and early 2000s when I was buying Yukons the GMC dealer, who I knew, would ask if I wanted to know what he would give me on paper, or did I want to know what he would give in "real money." That's the way it works, so be ready for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Suzy here… I have a ‘22 A-spec that I am trading in for a Type S Advance. I am getting almost MSRP for the A-spec; almost. For me, the differences between the A-spec and the Type S Advance are worth the difference in price. And yes, the Type S is MSRP. The trade-in also helps significantly with tax savings.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice msrp on the S. I’ve only seen +5k for now but those cars aren’t moving and I’m seeing many dealers with inventory. Markups should come down soon.
I tend to agree with you on the markups hopefully coming down soon. My local dealer has a $5k markup too; plus a $1k protection package. I said thanks, no thanks. I just used them for the test drive. I go 90 minutes up the highway to the dealer we bought our ‘16 MDX from, the ‘22 A-spec, and the soon to be Type S and don’t have to deal with that crap.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,599 Posts
If you shop around, you might get a good deal - close to sticker on the trade-in, and sticker (or not much over) on the Type S. (Suzy did!) You won't know unless you ask, and better yet, shop around with as many dealers as you can.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you shop around, you might get a good deal - close to sticker on the trade-in, and sticker (or not much over) on the Type S. (Suzy did!) You won't know unless you ask, and better yet, shop around with as many dealers as you can.
I’ll be honest, I reached out to my dealer for shits and giggles. I really expected them to tell me there was a markup on the Type S. Then when they said there wasn’t, I asked what they’d give me as a trade in on the A-Spec they just sold me a few months earlier. Again, seriously? What do you have coming in available? I put down a deposit. Changed my mind from a Tech to an Advance, but that was about it. It moved my ETA about 3-4 weeks further out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it’s one of those deals where you have to strike while the iron is hot……….Under normal circumstances trading a car after a year would lead to you being upside down possibly breaking even if your lucky. Now a lot of people actual have equity in their vehicles. This only works if you’ve financed and not leased because breaking the lease would result in the same penalties as before.

Now that gas is sky high I think the MDX Type S that are coming to the lot might be sitting for awhile so I suspect that dealers giving original sticker price for trade ins will be ending soon. I personally want to hold out and wait to see if any White with Orchid Interior Type S Advance show up at any local dealers. Either way even though the vehicle is about $10K more than the Advance I have now the amount to finance and payment should be about the same.

We’ll see if I actually take the plunge since I haven’t actually test driven one yet to see if it’s worth it to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well it’s one of those deals where you have to strike while the iron is hot……….Under normal circumstances trading a car after a year would lead to you being upside down possibly breaking even if your lucky. Now a lot of people actual have equity in their vehicles. This only works if you’ve financed and not leased because breaking the lease would result in the same penalties as before.

Now that gas is sky high I think the MDX Type S that are coming to the lot might be sitting for awhile so I suspect that dealers giving original sticker price for trade ins will be ending soon. I personally want to hold out and wait to see if any White with Orchid Interior Type S Advance show up at any local dealers. Either way even though the vehicle is about $10K more than the Advance I have now the amount to finance and payment should be about the same.

We’ll see if I actually take the plunge since I haven’t actually test driven one yet to see if it’s worth it to me.
I think once you actually test drive one, you’ll be sold. I seriously couldn’t get the grin off my face in sport + mode. And if the difference really does work out to be $10k or so, I really do think it’s worth the price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just as a side note (I’m new here so take it easy on me lol), I have a 21 Toyota trd pro that I purchased for 52k can in September. 9k miles later and falling in love with the MDX type s advance, Acura is offering me. 59k to trade in the Toyota for the Acura. Wild times we live in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just as a side note (I’m new here so take it easy on me lol), I have a 21 Toyota trd pro that I purchased for 52k can in September. 9k miles later and falling in love with the MDX type s advance, Acura is offering me. 59k to trade in the Toyota for the Acura. Wild times we live in.
I’m assuming that’s a 4Runner? I have to ask because Toyota uses the same names on everything. That really is not bad at all for a trade. Are they marking up the Type S? The Toyota is sooooo outdated, technology wise; platform too. The cars are seriously night and day apart. Even with the air suspension I can’t see people taking their Type S off roading like you can with the Toyota. Then again, I know a lot of people with the Toyota who never leave the pavement either. If that’s the case…

·
Registered
396 Posts
This is interesting!! I leased my 2022 MDX in August. The dealer gave me $3600 of "equity" on the 2019 MDX lease that was Early Terminated (via a Come on Offer ) Plus $1K Loyalty form Acura. The new MDX lease Used that "equity" plus the $1K toward the reduction of the MSRP (no over charges); I paid the taxes upfront, Regi costs, and They did Sneak in a Dealer prep fee of $500, and the first month's lease payment. The dealer "threw in" 3 Free oil changes and 1 additional Oil Change because as a new customer at Curry Acura (Scarsdale NY), the Service manager gives the first Oil Change complimentary - separate from what was granted.
Notwithstanding that I have not driven the Type S (as Suzy says ....if you drive it , you will want it), and getting more power / more amenities, BUT at the price of Low MPGs, if I could get very close to $62K for my MDX Advance with only 4k Miles on it, and no markup on a S, i would consider it. My lease has a $36.5 Buyout . I would need to No immediate rush for me... I could wait for a Early Termination offer deal in the next year. I will say, This is a New World. Just a short time ago, You could never get these numbers on a trade just a few months for a new Car. I'm sure everyone knows that as soon as You took title to your new car, started it up and drove off the dealer's lot, you lost $5k or more - no matter what brand car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is interesting!! I leased my 2022 MDX in August. The dealer gave me $3600 of "equity" on the 2019 MDX lease that was Early Terminated (via a Come on Offer ) Plus $1K Loyalty form Acura. The new MDX lease Used that "equity" plus the $1K toward the reduction of the MSRP (no over charges); I paid the taxes upfront, Regi costs, and They did Sneak in a Dealer prep fee of $500, and the first month's lease payment. The dealer "threw in" 3 Free oil changes and 1 additional Oil Change because as a new customer at Curry Acura (Scarsdale NY), the Service manager gives the first Oil Change complimentary - separate from what was granted.
Notwithstanding that I have not driven the Type S (as Suzy says ....if you drive it , you will want it), and getting more power / more amenities, BUT at the price of Low MPGs, if I could get very close to $62K for my MDX Advance with only 4k Miles on it, and no markup on a S, i would consider it. My lease has a $36.5 Buyout . I would need to No immediate rush for me... I could wait for a Early Termination offer deal in the next year. I will say, This is a New World. Just a short time ago, You could never get these numbers on a trade just a few months for a new Car. I'm sure everyone knows that as soon as You took title to your new car, started it up and drove off the dealer's lot, you lost $5k or more - no matter what brand car.
I’m assuming if one is driving a TRD Pro in any form they are not concerned with gas mileage, because the Type S probably won’t be any better. I have a ‘22 MDX A-Spec and average around 21mpg in normal mode with a mix of city/hwy. I fully expect to be filling up more once my Type S comes in and I will not ***** about it. As I’ve said before, the silly ass grin it puts on my face is worth the price of admission. My dealer is giving me a really good price on the trade and then I’m saving a ton in taxes. So yeah, it was an easy decision.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I’m assuming if one is driving a TRD Pro in any form they are not concerned with gas mileage, because the Type S probably won’t be any better. I have a ‘22 MDX A-Spec and average around 21mpg in normal mode with a mix of city/hwy. I fully expect to be filling up more once my Type S comes in and I will not * about it. As I’ve said before, the silly ass grin it puts on my face is worth the price of admission. My dealer is giving me a really good price on the trade and then I’m saving a ton in taxes. So yeah, it was an easy decision.
I am in your School... It would put a silly Ass Grin on my Face too, for sure. I only debate the MPGs as a consideration. I'm 70 YO, now on fixed income (and with Inflation which is here to stay for awhile - going Backwards real fast), so I do look at MPGs more now. At $3 a gallon for Premium (I only buy premium), not so much, but at $5 and higher, probably more so. I'm impressed that you get 21 MPGs on your '22 A -Spec. I'm mostly local Suburban driving with some Highway (to visit grandkids) 80/20% City / Highway, I'm getting about 14.5 - 15 MPGs in that mode. Although this could be tempting, I'll probably Wait N See. I really like my Fathom Blue Pearl / Grey leather MDX. Acura dosn't have the same color for the Type S (yet). W/O being too nosey, Who is your Acura Dealer?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts