Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded my 2010 X5D for a new 2016 Acura MDX Advance. Have now driven it 4200 miles including a cross country trip from Arizona to Minnesota. Thought I would make some observations comparing the two.

MDX vs X5

More comfortable seats than myX5
Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane keep on highway or long drives
Three settings for shift points and steering feel. Comfort,normal, sport
Overall driver ergonomics are better including navigation, door lock unlock button etc.
Ventilated seats are better, more quiet and are automatic. Also work with remote start to cool/heat as needed.
More leg room in front and back seats as well as larger rear cargo area
Roof rails are flat to the roof more streamlined/sporty look
Nine speed transmission is fantastic. Great acceleration and gas mileage
Gas mileage on highway is 27 to 28 mpg at 75 to 80 mph. 1800 mile trip from Arizona with Thule roof box on top got averaged 24 mpg with average speed of 75 mph
Seats sit lower and are more carlike. Feels less tippy in turns
Overall good handling vehicle, good road feel and steering response
Quality of build and fit and finish is good but not as tight as my BMW in terms of door gaps etc
Interior fit and finish is very well done. Leather and stitching on seats is excellent.
Design of dash is not as clean and good looking as my BMW
MDX looks more like a minivan from side view
towing capacity is only 3500 lb. but is all I need for my boats
Not as much torque as the BMW but with 9 gears acceleration is better.
Paint is excellent
Interior noise is less due to noise deadening glass
Rear windows and back door glass are tinted from the factory unlike my X5, May have to tint the sunroof darker but that is it
Lots more storage including trunk are (even with the 3rd row seat), center armrest in front (huge) and cup holders in all doors and adjacent to third row seats.
Third row accessible with push of a button
No ----ty dirty diesel pumps to deal with

Things I will miss about my X5D

ECL's every 20,000 miles for DEF tanks and various throttle body and emissions systems failures
Brake jobs every 40,000 miles
Arrogant BMW dealer and staff that wants $200 plus for an oil changed treats you like they are doing you a favor to service your precious BMW
Having to leave my vehicle overnight every time I take it in for service
Having to buy an extended warranty at 45000 miles for an additional $4500 in order to drive the vehicle for six years
Overall poorest reliability of any luxury car I have ever owned. Have owned three BMW's, two Lexus, multiple Honda and Acura models as well as Mercs.

At 92,500 miles my extended warranty ran out just after having the EGR bracket replaced and one of the DEF tanks replaced and I was completely uncomfortable owning the vehicle any longer without a warranty based upon my own experience in six years as well as the many posts listed here. I have owned many performance sports cars in my life that were extremely reliable and I would have driven them into the ground had I not become bored with them. My wife drives a 2005 MDX with 93,000 miles and never a problem. We will probably keep that car for many more years and I would drive it anywhere.
:laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great post.

Our family currently has a 2015 MDX and a 2011 BMW 335d (a 4-door sedan) - with basically the same powertrain you had in your X5d. My BMW experience mirrors yours almost exactly! Unfortunately....

I will happily trade the BMW's little sharper styling and marginally better handling for the reliability, features, practicality, and value of our MDX.

We've also had great experience with our local Acura dealer for simple maintenance like oil changes. Friendly, quick, not condescending. A complete contrast to our BMW dealership. And I've only been to the Acura dealership once in 20k miles. I bet the BWM has gone for repairs (not oil changes or routine maintenance) every 7.5k miles.

I'm so happy with the MDX that I'm giving the 2017 Honda Ridgeline a hard look to replace the BMW. Of course they are not in the same class at all....but that's how much we are enjoying Acura/Honda products over BMW....

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had to trade in my 2016 MDX Tech for BMW X5 35i Xdrive. I sure loved 2008 MDX but 2016 is different altogether. At least BMW is covered during warranty period. At the end of the warranty, I may come back to MDX if all the quirks are taken care of. I like driver's car not cushy cushy feel-nothing numb car. Both cars weigh about same but X5 feels more nimble vs. MDX. X5 feels sure footed at any speed, MDX feels like in a sail boat at any speed giving unsettled feeling. I think change of tires from Michelin to Continental is a factor IMO. MDX 9 speed gear box vs. X5 8 speed. What a difference. MPG is about same between two. iDrive is easier to use than Acura system. Wife even mentioned about easiness of iDrive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
May have to tint the sunroof darker but that is it

I have tinted my 2016 sunroof and front windows to match the rest of the vehicle and the sunroof tinting did not help much---still have to close the interior cover when the sun is beating down.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

I have tinted my 2016 sunroof and front windows to match the rest of the vehicle and the sunroof tinting did not help much---still have to close the interior cover when the sun is beating down.
Did you make sure that the tint used has high solar heat blocking properties and not just UV blocking? Some tint manufacturers don't even put that on the spec sheet, which is a good indication that it has very little solar heat blocking properties.

Btw, not sure if you meant for your post to be off-topic, but it doesn't seem to really relate to the OP. lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Diesel vs. gasoline. Of course Former will have more issues in general. My wife can't stand the smell of Diesel. Never had Diesel vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like to roadability of the MDX. Great for longer trips and holds a lot of stuff. For us with a lake cabin, pulling boats and transporting stuff MDX is much more usable. Also we spend winters in Arizona. Great again for packing a lot of stuff, with help of a Thule roof box. Also easy to drive for long distances with ease. My butt would be sore after riding in my BMW X5 all day, even with the seat massage feature. Love the 9 speed transmission, no issues with hunting for a gear etc. I-drive vs Acura touch screen, like the Acura better, although two screens seems a bit much, but can navigate easily. These computer screens are doing more and more and getting more complex. Each brand seems to have it's plusses and minuses. Two things stick out to me as room for improvement. 1) body panel fit is horrible by todays standards, including door gaps and panel alignment 2) I like a good handling vehicle and the Acura handles fine, but the rear suspension is very rough over undulating pavement and cracks. Again, there is no excuse here as my wife's 2005 MDX handles well for an SUV, yet is not as harsh. Acura needs to solve this suspension problem with better shocks and/anti sway bars or perhaps rear suspension geometry.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bimmer is RWD >> Xdrive vs. MDX is FWD >> SH-AWD. Can't you notice the driving dynamics? Older MDX had dual clutch plates on the
rear wheels vs. new MDX has only one. Could you make the tranny shift upto 9th gear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Diesel vs. gasoline. Of course Former will have more issues in general. My wife can't stand the smell of Diesel. Never had Diesel vehicle.
The thing about today's diesels is the emissions control system. It costs as much as a transmission replacement (perhaps more) and is extremely complicated to work on. Torque is amazing, mpgs good....but these days....probably not worth it.

I hope the Acura/Honda cylinder deactivation holds up. Its a great efficiency solution if it proves reliable.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I put LLumar Air-80 on my windshield..I asked about doing my sunroof and the installer wouldn't do it..In warm weather places like Texas and Florida, the roof temperature gets very hot on summer days; then it rains in the afternoon cooling it off..Then heats up again after the afternoon showers..Apparently, this leads to the sunroof cracking..danler, if you are in a cooler climate, you should be fine; however, I'd be mindful of this problem with tinted sunroofs..Especially if you're planning any summer road trips to one of these hotter climates..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put LLumar Air-80 on my windshield..I asked about doing my sunroof and the installer wouldn't do it..In warm weather places like Texas and Florida, the roof temperature gets very hot on summer days; then it rains in the afternoon cooling it off..Then heats up again after the afternoon showers..Apparently, this leads to the sunroof cracking..danler, if you are in a cooler climate, you should be fine; however, I'd be mindful of this problem with tinted sunroofs..Especially if you're planning any summer road trips to one of these hotter climates..
Thanks for the information realtimeMDX. I live in the southwest suburbs of Chicago(weather here is not that brutal) so hopefully I won't encounter this issue. As was stated earlier, I probably don't have the best tint installed as well so maybe I'll be fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts