Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot believe how quickly time goes by! After 7 years and 98,000+ miles, I traded in the MDX today. I bought it new with 8 miles on the clock back in June 2008. I still remember the drive home from the dealer vividly.

This car has been there for me through a lot. Since buying it in NC, I moved three times (IN, TN, FL) and have had it serviced at 5 different Acura dealers. I had one kid when I bought it, now I have three. This was my first car purchase, everything else I had driven before was basically a family hand-me-down, so I treated and maintained the MDX as best I could.

Similarly, I have had a great time being a part of this forum, interacting with a lot of great MDX owners, learning a lot about the vehicle, and posting some hopefully helpful threads as well. I love being on active forums, and I will plan to lurk and be around. After all, I have to make sure I keep my Tetris title :D.

I will be hard pressed to find a vehicle as reliable, fun to drive, and as valued as this MDX. Zero out of service dealer visits, and the only check engine light was the dreaded tighten gas cap message which fixed itself. I paid $37,830 out the door and got a trade-in value of $13,780 over 88 months, which means the MDX cost me $273.30 a month to own. Wow. I know I could have gotten more selling private party, but there's something to be said for convenience.

The question then becomes why move on from such a great vehicle? Good question. My father always traded in vehicles before they hit 100,000 miles, and I guess I will follow his footsteps in doing so as well. Also due to various factors, the time was right to get a new vehicle. I've always wanted a Land Rover ever since high school, and like going German (which I have yet to do), I figure you give a brand one shot to make an impression. If I get burned, believe me I will be back. I did get an extended warranty and am crossing my fingers!

Here's the last few shots of my MDX with my new vehicle. I'll be honest before driving off the lot, I did turn back one last time. What a great car Acura made! :cool:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Congrats on the new vehicle!! I wish Acura had that color red because it is my favorite. The wifey really loves the 4 door Range Rover Evoque (in red). I imagine the Range Rover features, tech, ride, and luxury makes your old MDX look like a rental car.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ouch!
Dealers usually offer about $1,000 below the blackbook auction value listing, for trade ins and then they make you negotiate up to the auction value.
Based on your msrp of $37,830, it appears that you had a 2008 Base model.

The blackbook dealer auction/trade in list, for Oct 25, 2015 in Florida:

2008 Base 98,500 miles... clean=$16,390 ave=$14,340 rough=$10,675

You got $13,780. The dealer will deal with selling it, for between $19,375 and $21,100.

If you didn't have the Base model, here are the other values:

2008 w/tech 98,500 miles clean=$17,790 ave=$15,740 rough=$12,000

2008 w/tech/res 98,000 miles clean=$18,090 ave=$16,040 rough=$12,285

·
Registered
798 Posts
Congrats. I feel this model Range Rover is the one that broke the mold with significant weight savings that lent itself to increased performance while getting better mileage in return. Time will tell whether they also upped their long term reliability factor which would be a trifecta at that point in my books. Although it's owned by an Indian company now, that may not be a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Let's see how long the bags last on this one.;)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, 100 miles and so far so good :)

I too was surprised by the trade in value. The 37k was actually my out the door cost for a tech package with PTG (saw it in my checkbook logs, my memory isn't that good). Back in 2008 the economy was tanking and gas was $4 a gallon so Acura had $2,000 incentives below invoice.

Anyway, the dealer offered initially 12k. I was expecting 15k. I took it to Carmax and got an offer of 14k. I took it to the Acura dealer who told me the Carmax deal was very aggressive and I should take it. They actually had appraised my car at an earlier service visit (unknown to me) and their quote was still below 14k. I ended up taking 13k plus the tax savings of 780 as a trade in as it was more convenient. Carmax gives a bank draft which could have taken 10 days to clear. I could have fought more but these Rovers are so hard to get. Land Rover forces with economic incentives dealers to only sell to people who live local, so even if I wanted I couldn't order it from any other dealer, and it's still MSRP or bust here. Absolutely no room to negotiate. They have the theory if you don't buy somebody else will which is true to a point. It was a completely different buying experience than I've ever had as I was able to get the MDX and my Odyssey both for below invoice. Such is life.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Au revoir Mr. Hodog- I don't blame you for NOT taking the plunge into a 3rd generation MDX- everytime I drove a 3rd gen MDX loaner, it really reinforced by disgust/lack of appeal towards the 3rd generation MDX- the 2nd MDX was just pure fun, appealing, innovative, and like- able....the 3rd generation MDX (designed by a new, albeit OLD in age engineer/designer) is simply an overpriced KIA that looks 'BLAH' in person.

Best wishes with your LR!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts