Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, Ive been the proud owner of a 2002 NB MDX, I love the MDX with a passion, I've come to a cross road though, My question to you all, is would you trade in your MDX for a G35 coupe, I really need your opinion, tell me if you would do it or not, THANKS

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Everyone has different need and requirements... In my case, I wound NOT trade it in. The X fits my needs now, a G35 would not.:4:

·
Registered
420 Posts
They are 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT vehicles!!! It comes down to your needs. Medium to large SUV with lots of cargo/people capacity vs. great handling, powerful, small coupe. BTW, you are gonna take a huge depreciation hit( probably around $6K) :eek:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I almost traded in my bimmer for the G35 coupe. . . I changed my mind because I didn't want to buy the car in its first year and I didn't want to buy it at MSRP or above

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We need the space and utility of the X, so I wouldn't trade it. Such different cars. I *love* the way the G35c looks. Haven't test driven one yet -- afraid we'll end up with 3 cars for 2 drivers, and that I'll end up sleeping in one of them. Or, MrsWorm will decide that to keep things "equal", she'll need to "upgrade" her wedding ring or something silly like that.

I'm probably gonna go for the G35c in December/January when the lease on our GS is up, though. We'll still have the X for hauling and other SUV duties. That's my rationalization, anyway.

Appears to me based on freshalloy.com postings that even tho the G35 is a first-year model, the quality's been pretty good with no major issues. They ARE selling for full sticker, especially the 6 manny tranny.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
What do you NEED & WANT?

DUBYA123 said:
hey guys, Ive been the proud owner of a 2002 NB MDX, I love the MDX with a passion, I've come to a cross road though, My question to you all, is would you trade in your MDX for a G35 coupe, I really need your opinion, tell me if you would do it or not, THANKS
Ditto the others; unless you have unlimited cash (I don't:rolleyes: ) people tend to drive a vehicle fulfills their NEEDS. Among those that fill the NEED I recommend getting what you WANT in the price range you can afford.

Big 7-seat SUV vs sport sedan that seats 4 (or 5?).

·
Registered
449 Posts
As many have said. The G35 coupe and the MDX are two totally different animals. If you don't have a need for the MDX with the extra cargo room and size, (you only drive it because you want to drive an SUV). Then by all means trade it in for the G35Coupe as that would be a much more satisfying car to drive. I personally also like the G35 coupe, however in my situation I need a big car to carry cargo and people. But when I have some extra cash, the G35 coupe is definetly on my list for cars that I am interested in. My neighbor has a black G35 coupe, and that thing looks really nice. It would be a big decision between the G35 and the BMW 3 series.

·
Registered
235 Posts
speed limit 55-65 in the great U.S of A

DUBYA123,

i have always had a passion for sports cars and would love to have any of a number of great ones, including the G35!- and have been tempted!

i've owned a '94 taurus SHO 5-speed and a '99 mustang cobra convertible 5-speed. these cars were alot of fun to drive BUT really enjoying them involves taking some risk...

...between speed limits, potential surprises on even familiar roads (such as gravel, oil, etc), other drivers and mishaps such as flat tires, any of a number of things can go wrong on public roads.

the potential consequences could be pretty serious.

in other words, there are very few occasions when you could even approach the potential of a great sports car. in most parts of this country it just cant be done with peace of mind.

the other reality issue is the high cost of insurance- is it worth paying such high premiums for something you cant really take advantage of most of the time?

if money were no object (and if that were the case i dont think you'd even need/ask for our opinions) i would definitely own a sports car because i could afford to consider it a fun toy. but my reality is that i can only choose one car and that is the MDX-which happens to be fun to drive in its own way and very practical to boot!

good luck,

chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
What I didn't like about the G35...

I liked the looks and specs of the G35 so much that I went and looked at them while I was waiting for my '03X.

I liked the interior, the layout, just about everything until I sat in it. Then, I noticed what I consider to be a fatal flaw. The transmission housing sticks out into the drivers (maybe passengers too) foot area so much that its actually in the way. It touched my leg when I sat in the seat in a normal position.

I just couldn't handle that for hours on end.

That needs to be fixed, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
In addition, the doors on a coupe are almost always longer (and often heavier) than on a 4-door vehicle -- so exiting in a parking lot could be a problem. That's the main reason that I haven't owned a coupe since 1963!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I took a test ride in the G35 coupe and loved it. I'm probably going to wait a couple a years and buy one used, as a third vehicle. Just got rid of my '86 911 coupe and would love to get a '95-'98, but the prices are a bit more than a new, loaded G35 coupe.

Saw a desert platinum with the willow leather at the local dealer recently. Very nice and very classy looking. Would like to see the pearl white before deciding which looks the best. Only my opinion, of course.

The coupe sounds great and I would only consider the six-speed, especially since it will be a third car.

Good luck with your decision. I recently traded a 2000 Audi A6 4.2 for the MKX because we have four children, so a lot depends on your family situation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts