Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 MDX elite.. on hard acceleration on a straight line, especially at full throttle off the line, the front tires pull side to side. Traction control over compensating and the front pulls side to side where I have to try to correct it with slight steering, as speed increases it slowly goes away and finds centre and goes straight...
Any ideas?? Computer? I like to get some knowledge on this before I bring it into the dealer and they rape my ass...LOL. Any help/info greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Is it SH-AWD or FWD?

Are you possibly experiencing torque steer?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SH-AWD. Could be torque steer, if that's what its called.. on light acceleration you don't notice it, on hard acceleration off the line or on the high way to go pass some one you matt it and the front pulls side to side.. some times I have to correct it with steering or Ill go into the other lane almost! You hit the gas hard the car should go in a straight line not pull side to side.. some thing is not right. I don't know the first place to look. Torque steer or the SH-AWD computer is out ? I'm guessing..

Is it SH-AWD or FWD?

Are you possibly experiencing torque steer?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I’d hazard to say torque steer, it’s just the nature of primarily front wheel drive cars. It would also depend on if your surface is smooth, bumpy, on a bend, etc but I’ll assume it’s a perfect road. It’s just the way the geometry of the suspension would have to be set up. I’ve learned about this on a YouTube video, if interested I could provide it and maybe someone else could learn too?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I assume this is a new problem? Nothing has changed recently like tires, rotation, etc? Seems like maybe a traction issue.

Could be tie rods, bushings, ball joints, or even suspension damage. Have you hit major pot-holes or run over a hooker lately?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I think I would agree with skinny2 (about it being tire related, not the hooker part, NOTE: always carry a tarp for those occasions). Do you have all season tires, how worn (like under 50%), are road conditions anything other than dry, and are outside temps below 40 degrees? If you notice longer stopping distances or more ABS pulse on hard braking, it could be tire related.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With my old balding tires, Mich. Lat. xps I had the pulling side to side, thought it was the tires at first.
Christmas time a few months ago I got new tires put on it, Too Celcius CUV sure all weather tire, great grip in the snow and ice, I needed some traction this winter after sliding 20 feet on icey snow with my bald Mich Lat. xp tires..
Any ways the pulling side to side is the same even with the new tires... so I can rule out the tires being a factor I think..
Defiantly some thing with the car... but what?

It pulls side to side in the summer to same as in winter... not temp related..
We have good roads here, not many pot holes here where I live.. My wifes MDX exact same model you hit the gas and its straight as an arrow.. My black you hit the gas hard and it pulls side to side up front, its a weird feeling to have, I need to get it looked at it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... once I'm up to cruising speed its straight as an arrow, I can let go of the steering wheel.. its just the initial hard acceleration it will pull side to side under full torque..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sometimes the side to side pulling is created by control arm worn bushings. The control arm changes position caused by the torque thus changing front wheel geometry resulting one wheel pulling to one side controlling the steer. Once the control arm is back into position for what ever reason (balancing forces or SH-AWD system) it will center. The pull to the other side could also be overcompensation from the other wheel caused by the SH-AWD sensing the side pull, and if the other control arm bushings are worn out, the effect will go to the other side.

Something similar happened to one FWD van I have when one side control arm bushings where failing. I was able to find out the issue until it got worst and the damaged bushing was obvious. But it cost me two new front tires too.

Just a theory.

Does it makes sense?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! Ya that makes total sense. So it is mechanical.. This will be covered under warranty then.. I have full extended private warranty till 2021. Haven't had to use the warranty yet, didn't want to cause if I don't use it at the end year 2021 I get a $1,000 back. In this case I better use it, its a safety issue then if its warn out control arms and bushings.. what I bought the extended warranty for in the first place.. better use it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
In this case I better use it, its a safety issue then if its warn out control arms and bushings.. what I bought the extended warranty for in the first place.. better use it.
Be sure to read the fine print. Many warranties (especially non-OEM backed plans) have a laundry list of excluded items and I've seen all sorts of steering/suspension parts counted as "wear" items.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.. I'll check... some bedside reading..lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts