Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My 04 MDX has the TPMS light coming on at times and it would go away on its own. Two of my TPMS valves are sort of chipped so I need to use an adapter to put air on the tires and I was wondering if that could be the reason why the TPMS light is coming on. If that is the case, am I able to purchase a replacement valve kit in order to avoid buying the sendor itself?

It would definitely be cheaper than buying two TPMS sensors and then have the dealership reset them to my vehicle specifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Is it lighting up for an individual corner or just a general fault? New sensors do not need to be programmed at all. The car just recognizes them automatically.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Most likely the batteries in the sensors are going dead. You would need to replace the sensor and stem together and the battery is not removable. A good tire shop will have a TPMS computer that can check to see what sensor is bad.
I have an issue with my winter set of tires and wheels where the TPMS light comes on after about 5 minutes of driving. It will then stay on for the duration of my trip. When I replace the tires, I will get 4 new sensors and have the tire shop install them at that time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just see a general TPMS light go on, it does not tell me which sensor is bad.

·
Registered
432 Posts
A good tire shop will have a TPMS computer that can check to see what sensor is bad.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks carguy07 and RallyD!! I will stop by pep boys over the weekend and see what the issue is.

·
Registered
267 Posts
TPMS without any of the 4 'tires' lighting up means the TPMS battery is going out. Those have a 10 year lifetime and a 04 would mean it's going out.
I have the same problem but until I need to change my tires, I just make sure its full of air.

Each unit is $30 online ($50+ at the tire center) , and most likely you would have to replace 4. ($120).

That's why I didn't bother right now, just waiting for the tires to go bald.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tpms light on means there is a FAULT hard code fault in the TPMS system. you need to pull codes (with a newer scan tool "professional") and see what is faulty

·
Registered
267 Posts
As far as I know cbsevenfiftyk the TPMS system and the 'Code' system are separate.

the only tool that can read TPMS signals is a bit expensive and can only be read from the tire stem right? (Not plugging into the OBDII)

That's how I know mine are bad, the local tire shop brought out their scanner and found out 3 out of 4 of my tires aren't responding.

·
Registered
414 Posts
As forbin404 mentioned, lifespan on the batteries is roughly 10 years, so I would suspect the battery. I had the TPMS light come on (when the weather got colder in the fall). As I was soon to be mounting my winter wheels/tires (with their own sensors), I just ignored it. Since the winters have been on, no more light.

FYI to the original poster - the TPMS sensors are self initializing - there's no need for the dealer to reset them to your specific vehicle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just started having the same issue now on my '06. I'm almost ready for a new set of tires but I'm not looking forward to the unnecessary expense of new sensors. These MDX's have a lot of unnecessary options that I would have happy not having. Is there a way to disable the system? I don't need the TPMS and have done fine without something like this with all the cars I've owned. The damn warning light is annoying and a bit distracting.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I just started having the same issue now on my '06. I'm almost ready for a new set of tires but I'm not looking forward to the unnecessary expense of new sensors. These MDX's have a lot of unnecessary options that I would have happy not having. Is there a way to disable the system? I don't need the TPMS and have done fine without something like this with all the cars I've owned. The damn warning light is annoying and a bit distracting.
TPMS is federally-mandated... So I wouldn't call it "unnecessary".

The sensors are about ~$30. Not a terrible expense, considering your vehicle is 12 years old.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks it's not a terrible expense but nonetheless a significant expense that could be better spent on real necessities. I disagree with a lot of federal mandates. I've done without a lot of their meddling necessities over my lifetime. I don't need some stupid little device to tell me tire pressure is low. I can easily see a tire is low on pressure before the system tells me.
This is why I will never ever buy a new car again.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks it's not a terrible expense but nonetheless a significant expense that could be better spent on real necessities. I disagree with a lot of federal mandates. I've done without a lot of their meddling necessities over my lifetime. I don't need some stupid little device to tell me tire pressure is low. I can easily see a tire is low on pressure before the system tells me.

Reactions: Lietuviai

·
Registered
592 Posts
Clint rules!

I like the TPMS. Has let me know several times over the 12 yrs that we’ve had the X that something was up with the tire pressure. Once when we were traveling and drove over a large nail. Allowed me to stop before the tire collapsed and the rim rode on a flat tire. But hey, it’s a free country.

Wouldn’t recommend disabling a safety system and can’t garantee what other circuits could be affected but you could try pulling fuse #9 drivers side under dash or #11 passenger side - 9 feeds the TPMS indicator and 11 feeds the TPMS control. Or you could pull the bulb that lights the indicator. Or, cover it with a piece of black tape.

That being said, the sensors are about $25-$30 each on rockauto and I’ve found Costco and America’s Tire will replace them for free when buy tires. The sensor is usually $45-$60 each if you buy at the tire shop. If you have a lot of tread left, you could pay a shop to dismount the tire, install it, and rebalance the tire. (Or ignore the indicator.)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just wondering how you can see the tire is low on pressure if it was to start to lose pressure while you were driving - say on the highway at 60 miles an hour?

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you can do this by eye on a modern radial tire, that's an impressive skill. Most humans can't detect the sag of a modern radial tire until it's down 10psi or more and on the verge of catastrophic failure. As Ford Exploder/Firestone customers learned a while ago, running tires long-term as little as 5psi low can have dire consequences.

As for government "meddling", when bad things happen to vehicles traveling at high speeds on government roads, many good citizens are at risk, not just the citizen who doesn't want to be governed. This principle has many applications.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The issue with tpms is that the sensor battery in each tire is only good for about 8 or so years and with the first gen mdx passed that they will start losing charge and the tmps will error on and off, mine shows tpms status for the first few minutes of every drive and after that it errors out. People have driven on the roads without tpms for over 100 years so not having tpms is not a big deal for me personally especially since we have a spare tire unlike some cars out there...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts