Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
thinking of purchasing an MDX with the navi. system. Just looking at the coverage map, found the town I live in and surrounding towns (Uxbridge - Mass.) are not covered.

I have done searches but I am unable to find any message or info on this topic. Some questions I have are -

1. what happens if the area you live on is uncovered ?
2. Do you still get to see main roads (State roads) or just highways ?
3. Can I use my home address as a destination ?
4. Any place where I can find if the area is to be covered soon ?
5. Do others have a navigation system for an area not covered ? Any personal experience to share ?

Thanks in advance for the help. Gus.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Well, I suppose you need to weigh the importance of having your township mapped in detail vs. larger metropolitan areas.
Would you use the Navi a lot around town or mainly for traveling lesser known areas?
What you really need to do is get a good road test including a demo of navi. Ask the salesperson to punch in your address, or other known areas you are familiar with.
Are you far from a dealer? Can you test the vehicle near home and see what you can see on the map?
For sure you will see main freeways and possibly major intersections. Even geographical features you may recoginze as an airport, park, etc. but until you actually see the differences for yourself, it will be difficult to make the right decision.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
gusestrella said:
Folks,
thinking of purchasing an MDX with the navi. system. Just looking at the coverage map, found the town I live in and surrounding towns (Uxbridge - Mass.) are not covered.

Gus, I have driven through Uxbridge (on route 146) and have never noticed any lack of coverage. Are you sure there is no coverage? I would be very surprised if at least the main roads were not listed...The coverage map will not list all town, ie my town is not listed but even my street which is only 4 years old and is a cull de sac is listed. I am only a couple of towns away from Uxbridge.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Covered means street level details and yellow pages. All major roads (county hwy?) in the US are covered already.

You can set a home address to where the last county hwy is. that's what I do. Its better anyway so if someone steals my car they can only get three miles from my house ;)

Chris

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
gusestrella said:
Folks,

I have done searches but I am unable to find any message or info on this topic. Some questions I have are -

1. what happens if the area you live on is uncovered ?
2. Do you still get to see main roads (State roads) or just highways ?
3. Can I use my home address as a destination ?
4. Any place where I can find if the area is to be covered soon ?
5. Do others have a navigation system for an area not covered ? Any personal experience to share ?

Thanks in advance for the help. Gus.
Try punching in a phone number for the address or go with the street first. Maybe the name of the town is different in the MDX, even though your street is mapped.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Gus.

Where I live, Southern Oregon, the area is not covered by the Acura Navigation System. I understood this before buying, decided to get navigation anyway because:

1. I know my way around where I live, when I travel to the big cities I need lots of help (bad sense of direction).

2. Figure I could use breadcrumbs when I venture out in the boonies, and this feature has been great.

3. Anticipate the next navigation upgrade to cover most of my area.

Prior to actually receiving my MDX I expected major roads to be covered in my area and later discovered the much more than major roads are covered in my area. Most relatively minor roads are included.

Even though my home address is not covered I can use it as a destination. Just hit "save current location" while in your driveway and use this as a destination. When I do this the navi gets me within 2 blocks of my house and I usually can find may way from there.

I have no regrets about getting the navigation.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My city was not listed as having coverage, but I was pleasantly surprised to find pretty decent coverage here anyway upon receiving my MDX. I got the Nav anyway, believing I would get ZERO usage in my city, and I'd only use it in nearby larger cities. But it was a nice surprise to see they did have many of the major roads in my area listed. Unfortunately it's still lacking with with points of interest around here (like hospitals), but if i have an address i'm often okay.

So even though your city isn't listed, you may have sufficient coverage. I'd take the chance and get the Nav.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
On my way home last nite, I looked for the town of Uxbridge on my Nav. No problem, and when I scrolled down the street listings, there were tons of streets listed. As I said earlier, the listing of towns is only a general area listing. The list is not intended to be all inclusive. I can tell you from personal experience, that the coverage in Massachusetts from Cape Cod to Springfield is excellent, and I have not found any holes, even in some of the small towns between Worcester and Springfield.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone have Navi experiences from the Green Mountain state (Vermont). Wondering if roads to the major ski areas are available.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Maik said:
On my way home last nite, I looked for the town of Uxbridge on my Nav. No problem, and when I scrolled down the street listings, there were tons of streets listed. As I said earlier, the listing of towns is only a general area listing. The list is not intended to be all inclusive. I can tell you from personal experience, that the coverage in Massachusetts from Cape Cod to Springfield is excellent, and I have not found any holes, even in some of the small towns between Worcester and Springfield.
Probably because Acura uses Maine to NY as an ad for the Navi. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
It's funny that I can be driving among the skyscrapers of Duluth (OK, 4-story buildings) and the Navi is dropping breadcrumbs because it thinks I'm off-road. Yet I can be off in the toolies between, say Toivola and Zim, and it will have that county road in the database. Go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Folks,
Thanks for all of the replies !!!! Great to see such a helpful forum these days in the internet.

Regards, Gus

1 - 12 of 12 Posts